ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology update

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I typically wait until February to post these updates every week, but with the most recent win over #20 Ole Miss, I figured I might as well post it a little early.

This season, the NCAA is going with a new ranking system called “NET” rankings. It’s basically combines the RPI with other criteria like strength of schedule and strength of record. They still use SOS and SOR, but the NET supposedly gives out a better ranking than the RPI. They are still using the Quadrants as well, but recently changed them too. Now the use Quadrant 1 A & B, Quadrant 2 A & B, etc. What this does, is it doesn’t lodge a bunch of teams together into one Quadrant and it can be skewed a little, but now “A” is a higher quality of win than a “B” win. It’s just distinguishes elite wins from non elite. For example, a Quadrant A win is a win over a team NET ranked 1-15 at home, and a B win is a team NET ranked 16-30 at home. And so forth.

Right now, Alabama is ranked 42 in the NET with a 16 strength of schedule. Those are two very good numbers for the losses Alabama has. They did fall as low as 144 in the NET after the Northeastern loss. Alabama is 8-3 against Q1 and Q2 teams this season. Alabama has nothing but Q1 and Q2 games left on the schedule, so a big opportunity for good wins here on out. I would say Alabama is probably a 11 seed, borderline 10 seed currently, but a Baylor win would make them a solid 10.

I will go on record and say a 9-9 conference record will squeak Alabama in the tournament, but anything better than that will be icing and help seeding. Regardless, Alabama is in a great position heading into the final two months of the season. Buckle Up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News