ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Bediako to Stay in the Draft

Not sure why people are surprised? He entered. So obviously he was interested. He played well in all these games and such. So his stock had to improve some. And he can go play ball without school and without being worked like a dog. All that is appealing to these young guys.

Not exactly sure how the NBA draft process works now for those leaving early, can he still back out at some point so long as he hasn't been signed and paid by an agent? Or was this the cutoff point where he has gone all in to be drafted?

If he sticks with going pro we're about to have the smallest lineup we've had in a very long time. We'll be all guards and small forwards with 1 power forward and nothing that could be confused as a center like we had with Bediako.

Reactions: lainey2020
This is a big mistake imo! No one averages 6 points in college and all of a sudden dominates the NBA! This is headed down a Kennedy Winston type path, left college early and never made it in the pros! Kids have zero patience! And unless we find some great big in the portal our defense just took a big hit for next year!

Ultimately, this is Bediako's decision but imo, this is a terrible move. Bediako isn't as advanced as Donta Hall was and he can't even stay on a NBA roster. Bediako's game doesn't fit the current climate of centers in the NBA. He can't shoot 3's let alone a jump shot and he's a below average FT shooter. These kids get bad information and are so enticed by the possibility of NBA $$$. Bediako just doesn't have the skills for the game. He'll definitely play overseas. Love him as a college player and his role with our team. Sadly, just don't think we'll see much more of Bediako going forward.

Best of luck to you young man. On one hand I think it is a terrible idea because I do not see him being drafted. On the other hand I don't know that another year at Alabama really improves his stock. He is a shot blocker slam dunker Rim Defender type player. He isn't going to magically develop some awesome mid-range game or play with his back to the basket in Tuscaloosa. So in other words he has developed all he is going to develop at Alabama. The only benefit to him coming back is to potentially get better on D and to help the University of alabama.

This is a big mistake imo! No one averages 6 points in college and all of a sudden dominates the NBA! This is headed down a Kennedy Winston type path, left college early and never made it in the pros! Kids have zero patience! And unless we find some great big in the portal our defense just took a big hit for next year!

He doesn't have to dominate. The 2 way contracts are now a minimum 500k salary. Someone likely guaranteed him a 2 way contract, can't blame a guy taking a guaranteed 500k with the chance to improve and not have to take classes if he doesn't want to

Reactions: bet9
I wish big Chuck the best, but this is a death blow for our season next year, imop, minus some unforeseen development with CNO landing another quality big man. We were already light under the basket even with his return. This is another example in today’s new college BB environment that you have to take advantage of your opportunities when they present themselves, because the next year you might not have a contending team. It just changes so fast.

I’d imagine he was promised a 2-way deal, which are typically 3 years 1.5 mil. He’s not making that in college and he’s not getting drafted the next two years. So might as well go get the bag and he can still develop in the G League.

Man, I’m conflicted about this move. He has improved so much and been such a force for us down low. Hate to see him go but can’t blame him if he is getting paid good money.

Well that is pretty crazy. Looking forward to our next moves and opportunity for a couple of players. I hope Sears doesn’t leave.

It appears that Bediako needs to make some money whether its in the G League or play in Europe.
Wish him the best and hope CNO can get someone quickly out of the portal.

This makes no sense.....Bediako is very good defensively, but has no offensive game.....When was the last time you remember a post up play that led to a basket by Bediako?

I have watched him in practice. He does make 3s. More than you would think. He has a good looking shot. He might surprise some people here and do well in the NBA.

I have watched him in practice. He does make 3s. More than you would think. He has a good looking shot. He might surprise some people here and do well in the NBA.
Boston likes centers that can’t create a shot driving to the basket. Chuck can stand under the goals and pick up the garbage points,he will be free agent pick up at best,my opinion!

Reactions: bet9 and GOBAMA100
I’d imagine he was promised a 2-way deal, which are typically 3 years 1.5 mil. He’s not making that in college and he’s not getting drafted the next two years. So might as well go get the bag and he can still develop in the G League.
Chump change 😜

Best of luck to you young man. On one hand I think it is a terrible idea because I do not see him being drafted. On the other hand I don't know that another year at Alabama really improves his stock. He is a shot blocker slam dunker Rim Defender type player. He isn't going to magically develop some awesome mid-range game or play with his back to the basket in Tuscaloosa. So in other words he has developed all he is going to develop at Alabama. The only benefit to him coming back is to potentially get better on D and to help the University of alabama.
lt actually wouldn't have hurt Charles to have stayed and gotten a diploma. His NBA stock might not have rose, but l doubt it would have gotten worse. Basketball would have still been there and like Donta Hall he would have always had a college diploma from Alabama to fall back on.

l hated to see him go, but he is gone and l wish him the best of luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT