ADVERTISEMENT

CNO Comments

BBALLSTAN

All Conference
Aug 15, 2006
I think CNO said it correctly after our game today.
Lousy effort on defense--No leadership from players
We are not good enough to win when we dont play very hard
on defense.Our offense was good enough to win but our
defense effort was lacking.He said someone has to step up
and be a leader. One of our older players have got to step up
and hold other teammates accountable.No reason for that loss.

Said the same thing to a friend I text with after games(sounds kinda weird lol). This team is hurting for leadership. JQ, Shack, and Keon absolutely have to step up.

it’s not all just effort issues, I feel like we simply don’t “get it” on defense. Like something with the defense we run isn’t clicking with our guys as a unit. At times we are basically just 5 guys chasing the ball and getting way out of position. That said, intensity is a HUGE part of defense in basketball and you have to bring it every game. This team is good enough to make a final 4 and bad enough to implode and be a bubble tournament team that loses round 1 to creighton. Ultimately I do think effort has a lot to do with the difference in our good nights and bad nights

Pretty bizarre and frustrating team thus far bc they’ve proven what they can potentially be, they just can’t do it with ANY consistently(game to game, half to half, timeout to timeout, possession to possession)

A head coach needs to hold players accountable as well. Sit a guy on the bench if he’s not giving effort. Tchikou didn’t play yesterday and I don’t think Holt did either. Give those guys a chance. I don’t think it’s possible that the results could’ve been any worse. Our other guys sure as heck weren’t stopping anyone from scoring.

This team is very inconsistent. We miss Herb a lot from a defensive and leadership standpoint. My understanding was that bringing Shack back was a huge key for this staff. Just haven’t seen anything consistent from this team, which won’t bode well in the SEC this year.

Mizzou got way too many second chance opportunities due to a poor rebounding effort. Wide open 3s, coupled with an unusual hot shooting night for Mizzou, help seal our fate.

Reactions: Bamabow13
This team is very inconsistent. We miss Herb a lot from a defensive and leadership standpoint. My understanding was that bringing Shack back was a huge key for this staff. Just haven’t seen anything consistent from this team, which won’t bode well in the SEC this year.
We definitely needed primo on this roster and Burnett would have been a huge piece as well. Also, I NEVER thought I would say this but Rojas may be our best bet defensively right now. Bediako is what Saban calls “rat trap” right now and Gurley just doesn’t play smart basketball. Gary is a good player but I’ve honestly been disappointed with his rebounding. That was his most impressive trait last year and has simply not been a very good rebounder this year. I think it all comes from guys getting out of position on defense

Definitely disappointing - but I also remind myself Mizzou had something to do with it. Kobe Brown is probably a better all-around big than any of ours at this point. The Brazile kid had some great moments. Their ball movement and knocking down shots successfully wasn't always our bad D, they would have done that on most teams with the confidence they were playing with. They had a few guys out from Covid that made their lineup different than it's been all year, and our zone was a stupid idea and once they were up 9-0 it seemed obvious that playing at home, they were going to give us a tough game. At the outset of the game we committed multiple dumb turnovers and Bediako missed two point blank layups.
There were so many sequences that were just crazy too. The exchange where Keon had a wide open three shooting in front of our bench (one he'd make a lot), bricked it, they get an awkward long rebound and get a 3 on their end - 6 point swing.
The last minute we had them step out of bounds and subsequently got exactly what we wanted (Shack with a wide open in rhythm 3), and he just missed it. Quinerly also just gave the ball away in the last minute and they scored. Still after Shack hit a 3, we were down just 4, and they missed BOTH FTs with 15 seconds left. Naturally, a bad carom where we have 4 rebounders to their 1, hits Gurley's hand and goes out of bounds to Mizzou. Unbelievable.
I think we're going to regroup and have a good showing vs Aub. Roll Tide

Reactions: bet9
Oats threw Bediako under the bus. Said he can't guard their big men. We don't have rebounders that match up. We have to hit threes, and we have to scrap for every loose ball!

Said the same thing to a friend I text with after games(sounds kinda weird lol). This team is hurting for leadership. JQ, Shack, and Keon absolutely have to step up.

it’s not all just effort issues, I feel like we simply don’t “get it” on defense. Like something with the defense we run isn’t clicking with our guys as a unit. At times we are basically just 5 guys chasing the ball and getting way out of position. That said, intensity is a HUGE part of defense in basketball and you have to bring it every game. This team is good enough to make a final 4 and bad enough to implode and be a bubble tournament team that loses round 1 to creighton. Ultimately I do think effort has a lot to do with the difference in our good nights and bad nights

Pretty bizarre and frustrating team thus far bc they’ve proven what they can potentially be, they just can’t do it with ANY consistently(game to game, half to half, timeout to timeout, possession to possession)
Bediako isn't ready. Can't time jumps to block shots, gets pushed around, not aware of somebody cutting behind him. He gets eaten alive by interior passing. Looks like he's blind sometimes.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
We definitely needed primo on this roster and Burnett would have been a huge piece as well. Also, I NEVER thought I would say this but Rojas may be our best bet defensively right now. Bediako is what Saban calls “rat trap” right now and Gurley just doesn’t play smart basketball. Gary is a good player but I’ve honestly been disappointed with his rebounding. That was his most impressive trait last year and has simply not been a very good rebounder this year. I think it all comes from guys getting out of position on defense
Gurley is a mystery to me because he’s so skilled and you see it at times… I got the feeling we could’ve ISO’d him the entire second half and we would’ve scored every trip.

Reactions: BigET84
A head coach needs to hold players accountable as well. Sit a guy on the bench if he’s not giving effort. Tchikou didn’t play yesterday and I don’t think Holt did either. Give those guys a chance. I don’t think it’s possible that the results could’ve been any worse. Our other guys sure as heck weren’t stopping anyone from scoring.
I kinda think Tchikou might not be 100 percent yet. I follow him on instagram and he was running on the zero gravity treadmill the other day which seems to me like his not game ready yet. Maybe not, but my opinion. Cause they need another big.

Reactions: Codie B and bet9
Bediako isn't ready. Can't time jumps to block shots, gets pushed around, not aware of somebody cutting behind him. He gets eaten alive by interior passing. Looks like he's blind sometimes.
Brown basically won that game for MZ by abusing Bama’s bigs, but it’s not like he is some scrub.

Nonetheless the SEC and certainly in the tournaments there will be other strong bigs and Bama has to find a way to match up against them.

Reactions: Codie B
I kinda think Tchikou might not be 100 percent yet. I follow him on instagram and he was running on the zero gravity treadmill the other day which seems to me like his not game ready yet. Maybe not, but my opinion. Cause they need another big.
It’s been a year and half since his injury and he still cannot get on the court for 5 minutes? Not sure what is happening with him/he is either still hurt or is the biggest bust of a recruit I have ever seen at Bama. ( was ranked 37th).
I think something else is going on here.

It’s been a year and half since his injury and he still cannot get on the court for 5 minutes? Not sure what is happening with him/he is either still hurt or is the biggest bust of a recruit I have ever seen at Bama. ( was ranked 37th).
It’s quite odd to me he can’t get a few minutes per game with the competition in front of him.

Reactions: cpat4bama
One thing is certain, if we replicate our defensive effort on Tue then we'll be blown out of our own gym. The barn can be straight up nasty inside and skilled enough with their guards to keep pressuring our defense from every angle. They might score 120 if we don't dial it up a few notches. To win we'll have to shoot better than we have all season from 3 point range. Meaning if we shoot 30 threes we better hit 16 or more.

Since the Memphis game we've had a few moments where a general lack of toughness has been exposed. We got away with it against Tenn and the Gators backcourt couldn't keep up with us so it didn't matter much down there.

I heard someone point out that finding leaders on this team may be tough because one guy spent the summer with both feet out the door in the portal and a couple others came close to going pro in spite of having no indication they would be drafted. So the list of guys that might carry weight is painfully short.

Reactions: frazor
May be nothing more to it but Harper41's statement that "he's just not very good" seems vague when you look at the overall competition in front of him. Kid had 33 offers. How can you be THAT bad???

May be nothing more to it but Harper41's statement that "he's just not very good" seems vague when you look at the overall competition in front of him. Kid had 33 offers. How can you be THAT bad???
I know the coaches were pissed when he played in that West coast 3 on 3 tournament. Not saying that has anything to do with it… but I wonder if he’s just in the dog house.

One thing is certain, if we replicate our defensive effort on Tue then we'll be blown out of our own gym. The barn can be straight up nasty inside and skilled enough with their guards to keep pressuring our defense from every angle. They might score 120 if we don't dial it up a few notches. To win we'll have to shoot better than we have all season from 3 point range. Meaning if we shoot 30 threes we better hit 16 or more.

Since the Memphis game we've had a few moments where a general lack of toughness has been exposed. We got away with it against Tenn and the Gators backcourt couldn't keep up with us so it didn't matter much down there.

I heard someone point out that finding leaders on this team may be tough because one guy spent the summer with both feet out the door in the portal and a couple others came close to going pro in spite of having no indication they would be drafted. So the list of guys that might carry weight is painfully short.
That 7 foot white kid will probably have a double double and score 30

I know the coaches were pissed when he played in that West coast 3 on 3 tournament. Not saying that has anything to do with it… but I wonder if he’s just in the dog house.
He appears to live a pretty lavish life on social media for a basketball player who has never seen the floor yet.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
I think CNO said it correctly after our game today.
Lousy effort on defense--No leadership from players
We are not good enough to win when we dont play very hard
on defense.Our offense was good enough to win but our
defense effort was lacking.He said someone has to step up
and be a leader. One of our older players have got to step up
and hold other teammates accountable.No reason for that loss.
I've never been a fan of a coach calling out his players publicly. I don't see what good can come from it and can only serve to create friction between the coach and his team. I know if I were a player I would be pretty ticked off if my coach did that to me. Those statements are better served in a private setting IMO. Coach Bryant always said publicly that the players deserved the credit when they won and he should shoulder the blame when they lost. I don't recall Saban ever publicly disparaging players, either. Even after a rare poor performance he'll say that it's his job as a coach to put them in better situations so that they can be successful,

Last five games we've looked like a team not heading for the tourney. Mizzou missing starters and not a very good team shot the lights out, owned the paint and made us look bad. Beat Tennessee without their best player. Second half of Florida game looked great so I know we still have it in us. Way too many wide open looks and low post guys getting the ball 2 feet from the hoop, or out rebounding us for easy put backs. au game could be ugly if we bring that effort.

Last five games we've looked like a team not heading for the tourney. Mizzou missing starters and not a very good team shot the lights out, owned the paint and made us look bad. Beat Tennessee without their best player. Second half of Florida game looked great so I know we still have it in us. Way too many wide open looks and low post guys getting the ball 2 feet from the hoop, or out rebounding us for easy put backs. au game could be ugly if we bring that effort.
I can’t speak for others, but being a tournament team, and being a legitimate contender are two different things, and I don’t care about making the tournament if we are not a realistic contender. Wimp had some 7 seeds that were, so it is not all about seeding, but how a team comes together at the end of the year. Plus, we have seen a lot of teams, over the years, not look like legit contenders who turned into one come tournament time(UCLA last year who had to play a play in game that a majority of analysts picked them to lose is the most recent example). But, you are right, imop, in that we have not looked like a legit tournament team, outside of the 2nd half vs Florida, in the past 5 games. Hopefully, the team comes together like last year, but I can’t say I am overly optimistic about that at this exact moment in time.

Shaq is built for Shaq , not a leader

Reactions: cpat4bama
I can’t speak for others, but being a tournament team, and being a legitimate contender are two different things, and I don’t care about making the tournament if we are not a realistic contender.
So let me see if I understand you correctly. You are saying you'd rather watch other teams play in the NCAA tournament than watch Alabama play because they are not a contender? You realize in any given year there are truly only one or two contenders right? 98% of all of the games are fluff and if given 4 guesses most people could pick the eventual champion today.

So let me see if I understand you correctly. You are saying you'd rather watch other teams play in the NCAA tournament than watch Alabama play because they are not a contender? You realize in any given year there are truly only one or two contenders right? 98% of all of the games are fluff and if given 4 guesses most people could pick the eventual champion today.
I disagree. I have seen many teams be contenders throughout the years that were not 1 or 2 seeds. And, also, many non 1 or 2 seeds win it all.

I've never been a fan of a coach calling out his players publicly. I don't see what good can come from it and can only serve to create friction between the coach and his team. I know if I were a player I would be pretty ticked off if my coach did that to me. Those statements are better served in a private setting IMO. Coach Bryant always said publicly that the players deserved the credit when they won and he should shoulder the blame when they lost. I don't recall Saban ever publicly disparaging players, either. Even after a rare poor performance he'll say that it's his job as a coach to put them in better situations so that they can be successful,
Effort is the easy excuse. If a coach is publicly saying his team didn’t play hard effort then he’s talking bad about himself. Anybody that plays with poor effort should sit. Sometimes what happens is coaches can’t adjust and adapt to teams and situations and they put their players in bad spots and it looks like poor effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT