ADVERTISEMENT

CNO is there anyway we can get out of his buyout?

I like how we have fans making judgements on how we are inept after playing the 2 of best teams in the country. The SEC is considered the best conference this year. We are going to struggle if don’t make shots. It ain’t the X’s and O’s, it is the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. We have some elite players on this team that don’t have their heads right. So, let’s stomp on them and act like they suck?

His system works. The shots are there. The defense is there. They will win games and make the tournament. I can’t believe so many doubt the system with a year that isn’t bad at all considering the wins Bama has.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn won 13 games last year and had a losing season. Did the barn fire him or really even get mad? Did Pearl have bad players last year? No, He had 2 pros on that team. What did Pearl do? He got some elite personnel out of the portal and grabbed the best freshman in the country. Oats seems to have done that with freshman recruiting this year, and I bet he gets several portal players.

I agree with a lot of what you say except your points about how oats needs to adapt the system to his players. Two things:

1. The alternative is a slowed down half court system like a UCLA or Princeton style offense. You wanna watch something painful? Watch this team do that. His system is giving us the best chance to win. Not his fault historically good shooters cannot make wide open threes his system is creating.

2. Three of these guys are statistically 40% or better from three. Also not oats’ fault they mysteriously can’t even shoot at a 30% rate. It’s not like he went out and recruited a bunch of scenario hillman’s and devonta pollards.
Slowed down system? This isn’t about speed. I bet we didn’t score a fast break point all the entire game against Kentucky. We get “slowed” down a ton and have to play in the halfcourt. We could evolve in our half court offenses. If you have 3 shooters on the court with one screener/dunker and then a guy like JQ with the ball, you can run our half court offense, which is a ball screen or 1 on 1 and that’s literally it. But JQ can draw help and get someone an open 3, or get the dunker something around the rim. I don’t care historically what these guys have shot. What are they shooting now? Maybe when Gurley shot 40% from 3, he shot over his skill level. Or maybe it was bc the level he was playing? I keep saying….people say we are in a slump, but maybe we just shot over our heads early in the season and now this is just who we are? We have Bediako and Gary on the floor together a good bit. And pretty much always have one of them with another “big” like Rojas or Gary. If you stand any of those 4 on the 3 point line, their defender is going to have a foot in the paint and stop any drive before they even think about closing out. So say Bediako is the dunker and Gary is in the corner. Bediakos guy will be ready to help, Gary’s guy will be ready to help the helper and they aren’t worried for
One second that their Bediako or Gary is going to relocate. So it’s easy to help and help the helper. Motion makes that much harder. And if you don’t shoot the 3 well and you can’t throw it in the post, you better get people and the ball moving so the help
Isn’t standing there waiting on JQ with no other worries.

I like how we have fans making judgements on how we are inept after playing the 2 of best teams in the country. The SEC is considered the best conference this year. We are going to struggle if don’t make shots. It ain’t the X’s and O’s, it is the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. We have some elite players on this team that don’t have their heads right. So, let’s stomp on them and act like they suck?

His system works. The shots are there. The defense is there. They will win games and make the tournament. I can’t believe so many doubt the system with a year that isn’t bad at all considering the wins Bama has.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn won 13 games last year and had a losing season. Did the barn fire him or really even get mad? Did Pearl have bad players last year? No, He had 2 pros on that team. What did Pearl do? He got some elite personnel out of the portal and grabbed the best freshman in the country. Oats seems to have done that with freshman recruiting this year, and I bet he gets several portal players.

Amen, brother!

oats = malzahn.

the coaching record is a near mirror image. i remember being excited when gus brought an exciting, fast paced offense to auburn. he won the sec in year 1. then people figured his system out and he was unwilling to change.

i understand that oats has a system and it will win games. i also think cutting out all shots besides the ones behind the arc or inside the restricted area handcuffs good and great players. jmo. oats may win a ton and prove that doesn’t matter, but he’s trotting out a team with two 5* guards and several top 100 players and top rated jucos. the only teams with more talent in the sec are kentucky and maybe lsu.

can you imagine oats telling jabari smith he couldn’t do anything but fog up a three or take a shot at the rim? jabari lives at the elbow and takes 14 foot twos all the time. brandon miller has a great shot as well. it’s a shame he won’t get to use it except beyond the arc.

something has to give. either oats will have to change or he’ll continue being gus: married to a system people have figured out.
I’ve thought about this similarity. And there’s some truth to it. You have to adjust at least a little year to year, week to week, game to game depending on the current players and the opponent. I do think Oats can coach but I have seen zero to make me believe he’s willing to adjust. He’s going to blame the players regardless. Yesterday, “I think we need to get a little more mentally tough.” Always at the least a jab at the players

This team just isn’t a great team. Bruce hasn’t exactly been steady at the top of college basketball in his tenure at auburn. Pretty Up and down. Oats system will work with good on ball defenders and shooters. This team lacks in both of those areas. The recruiting is very strong and he’ll have a team in the next few years that is good from 3 and plays great defense and it will be a magical year like Auburn has this year.

stupid to draw these conclusion on one season. Primo left early, Burnett tore ACL, Gurley has not been remotely what was expected as a scorer, and JD has been a huge disappointment as it turns out he has no idea how to play basketball. Bama has 2 scorers in JQ and Shack and both are more than capable of a terrible night. It’s just a team that isn’t elite but will be a 5-7 seed in March. That’s great for a down year of Bama bball
A 5-7 seed? Are you serious? We’re 2-6 in our last 8 conference games, and have only one SEC win against a team with a winning conference record. That came against Tennessee, who was missing their 2 best players. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think we’re just gonna flip the switch and become a good team again overnight. I think we’ll finish 6-12 or 7-11 in the conference. That would put us at 16-15 or 17-14 heading into the SEC tournament. I don’t think that would be good enough for an NCAA at large bid.

it is the system. Lowest percentage shot
Teams also get a bonus point for making it, which is why on average it results in the highest number of points scored per shot outside of layups, which this system also emphasizes.

If anyone thinks that a team that goes 3 for 30 on mostly open 3pts is going to score more by swapping open 3s for contested 2pt jumpers, then I’ve got some ocean front property to sell you in AZ.

Teams also get a bonus point for making it, which is why on average it results in the highest number of points scored per shot outside of layups, which this system also emphasizes.

If anyone thinks that a team that goes 3 for 30 on mostly open 3pts is going to score more by swapping open 3s for contested 2pt jumpers, then I’ve got some ocean front property to sell you in AZ.
Which coast is the property on?

Whatever it is it is entirely too much for a glorified HS coach.
Calling for CNO'S firing is a bit extreme at this point but he does need to recruit players who can play his system if he's going to continue with it. You can't win with brick layers in a system that requires solid shooting ability.

A 5-7 seed? Are you serious? We’re 2-6 in our last 8 conference games, and have only one SEC win against a team with a winning conference record. That came against Tennessee, who was missing their 2 best players. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think we’re just gonna flip the switch and become a good team again overnight. I think we’ll finish 6-12 or 7-11 in the conference. That would put us at 16-15 or 17-14 heading into the SEC tournament. I don’t think that would be good enough for an NCAA at large bid.
We need to play against the lesser teams the way we play against good teams and we will be fine. If we close it out even just 4-4 I think we will be about a 7 seed. Current projection is 5-6 seed. If we go 1-7 the rest of the way obviously that’s not good and we would be on the bubble at that point. You have to understand how the selection process works in CBB. Our resume if wins will get us in unless we completely fall apart

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
We need to play against the lesser teams the way we play against good teams and we will be fine. If we close it out even just 4-4 I think we will be about a 7 seed. Current projection is 5-6 seed. If we go 1-7 the rest of the way obviously that’s not good and we would be on the bubble at that point. You have to understand how the selection process works in CBB. Our resume if wins will get us in unless we completely fall apart
I’ve been following college basketball for over 50 years and know exactly how the selection process works. If we go 1-7 in our last 8 we’ll finish with a losing overall record and would be out of the tournament. A 2-6 finish, which wouldn’t surprise me at all, would leave us at 16-15 to end the regular season. That would probably also leave us on the outside looking in. We’ve got our work cut out for us to even make the tournament IMO.

Reactions: BamaTexan
I’ve been following college basketball for over 50 years and know exactly how the selection process works. If we go 1-7 in our last 8 we’ll finish with a losing overall record and would be out of the tournament. A 2-6 finish, which wouldn’t surprise me at all, would leave us at 16-15 to end the regular season. That would probably also leave us on the outside looking in. We’ve got our work cut out for us to even make the tournament IMO.
I agree we can’t just implode. We haven’t clinched a spot yet. I think we can hold serve at our home games and be comfortably in. Probably 7 seed. If we can also win a couple road games and get to 20-11 we are a 4-6 seed. I do understand the cause for concern and I share it, but I’m not giving up on them based on losing to 2 better teams in our last 2 games. If we will play with the same intensity at ole miss and other games that we played with the last 3 games, we will be in good shape. Tuesday will tell us if this team truly turned a corner mentally or not. If not yes we are going to be clinching the cheeks the rest of the way

This is the smartest post on the whole thread. Thank you!

If you go down our roster player by player, can you find even one player who has played to or exceeded our expectations? I can not. I really do not know what this means. Were our expectations simply too high?

Relative to the lack of investment UA administration has made in basketball the last 30 years, UA is blessed to have Oats. They are stepping up now with new arena, however, and Oats program should step up with this. We will see. I’m betting Oats succeeds at UA long term. Program getting better. Curve never a steady climb with no dips. Even Saban has had a few dips relatively speaking.

Relative to the lack of investment UA administration has made in basketball the last 30 years, UA is blessed to have Oats. They are stepping up now with new arena, however, and Oats program should step up with this. We will see. I’m betting Oats succeeds at UA long term. Program getting better. Curve never a steady climb with no dips. Even Saban has had a few dips relatively speaking.
I think the point I’m wanting people to grasp is that if this year is a dip under oats then we are in good shape. If we simply finish out 4-4, we will be likely a 7 seed in the tournament which would make this one of our best seasons in the last 25 years… I’ll take that for a dip lol.

This team definitely frustrating and I’ll probably be in the game thread giving them hell tonight but the handful of guys on this board thinking the sky is falling in oats tenure over a season like this is… laughable

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
So they are only going to win 2-3 more games? Okay.

Joe Lunardi still has Tide as a 6 seed. He knows more than you. 🙄🙄🙄

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT