ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Grant (long)

rollem

All American
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2004
Huntsville, Alabama
All,

I've been reading all the pros and cons concerning Coach Grant, and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. First, I think Coach is an excellent coach, excellent leader of young men, makes them do the right things, and emphasizes the importance of an education. Some will argue the excellent coach part, and outside of the lack of an offense flow--possibly with the exception of this year as I think that aspect has improved--I still believe this is true.

When we first hired Coach I had such high hopes, such high hopes that I bought season tickets. He took an undersized and averaged talented set of players and we played hard, was fun to watch us play pressure defense, and IMO played to our potential. I absolutely loved to watch Coach Grant's early teams.

I know this is going to sound racist and I don't mean it to be--I've black friends and co-workers and we're in violent agreement. A black coach at Bama should be able to recruit like a demon. Coach has had a few hits (like when we signed Randolph, Coop, and Lacey) but our recruiting lacks consistency to say the least.

You cannot win without players. We had a decent team to start this year and went 10 deep, but a couple of injuries have been devastating. We've not improved, we've gone downhill. Talent and depth are just not there. Think about the recent 2-3 seasons, heck we've barely had enough players to practice. Wimp Sanderson has acknowledged that good players make good coaches, and I'm (even though this is football) reminded that when Mal Moore hired Saban, Saban told Mal that he may not have hired the best coach in the nation but he hired the best recruiter in the nation.

Make a long story short(er), Coach Grant has not demonstrated that he can recruit at a high level. The SEC is improving by leaps and bounds, and we're being left in the dust. And we need a coach that can recruit first or at least be able to bring in top notch talent. And we will not succeed in basketball if we cannot obtain a coach who can do so.

Reactions: bamaquad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News