ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Oats

He is at 3.2 million that is not even in the top 20 of college coaches. They bumped him up 1 million a year last year . We need to tear that contract up and commit to him a new facility and somewhere in the 5-6 million range BEFORE March Madness. If we snooze we will lose !

He is at 3.2 million that is not even in the top 20 of college coaches. They bumped him up 1 million a year last year . We need to tear that contract up and commit to him a new facility and somewhere in the 5-6 million range BEFORE March Madness. If we snooze we will lose !
We also need to reward the assistants. Recruiting, relationship building and buying in are crucial components for this team.

Why do people keep trying to get a new facility built, I'm pretty sure Oats said we didn't need a new one to win. You just need fans in the stands and great players. We are getting great players now.

Reactions: bet9 and jtr4dad
Why do people keep trying to get a new facility built, I'm pretty sure Oats said we didn't need a new one to win. You just need fans in the stands and great players. We are getting great players now.
Oats isn’t going to put the Admin on blast by publicly saying we need a new arena. But… it’s a terrible basketball venue. Absolutely awful. And as dated as it gets. I’m baffled by fans who oppose a new arena

He said that his first year. He has said he doesn’t need it, but he also said they (the administration) promised to build a new arena or upgrade Coleman. He doesn’t want Coleman upgraded as it will cause us to play in Birmingham for a year or two. If we upgrade, it will be a new arena. Just my thoughts.

You gonna write a check?

Reactions: bet9
Oats isn’t going to put the Admin on blast by publicly saying we need a new arena. But… it’s a terrible basketball venue. Absolutely awful. And as dated as it gets. I’m baffled by fans who oppose a new arena
Welp, there are a lot of older fans who have sentimental attachments to Coleman. I was around long before it was built. I have registered for classes there, graduated there 3 times, attended concerts, played pickup bb games in the practice area (way back when it was allowed), and sporting events. However, I am also not opposed to a modern facility. Coleman is a solid structure and would make an excellent community/campus storm shelter. The parking lot adjacent to Coleman is roomy enough for a new facility without destroying Coleman.

Welp, there are a lot of older fans who have sentimental attachments to Coleman. I was around long before it was built. I have registered for classes there, graduated there 3 times, attended concerts, played pickup bb games in the practice area (way back when it was allowed), and sporting events. However, I am also not opposed to a modern facility. Coleman is a solid structure and would make an excellent community/campus storm shelter. The parking lot adjacent to Coleman is roomy enough for a new facility without destroying Coleman.
did you see the rolling stones in coleman? if you did, what year was it?

I was generally opposed to a completely new facility for years.

In part due to fear of what they would come up with for a new facility. A fear that the powers that be would force a new construction to be yet another bland, generic, and cavernous multipurpose building that is poorly suited to any specific sport or event but can be configured to serve many sports and events. Basically Coleman with luxury suites and maybe steeper stands but equally awful fan experiences.

I also somewhat opposed it for years as everyone knew the UofA would eventually consume the Bryce property and I didn't want to see us shoehorn a building somewhere when there would soon be quite a bit more space on campus. I felt the law school could have gone over there and a new gym built where the law school is located.

Then there was the chorus screaming that 15k was way too big and we needed a tiny gym that holds at most 10k fans so our Dec games don't look so pitiful. Basically Foster Aud with an upper deck and suites. I thought we needed to get good and show that we can fill 15k for big games. Then we can compromise at around 13.5 to 14k. A good team can fill the current 15k seating and will many times this Jan/Feb. For big games like UK it could fill 20k. 10k would be too small IMO.

As it is, it seems the feeling now is more for a basketball focused facility of some kind and modest renovations for Coleman for campus events but inflation and uncertainty likely has everything paused for a bit to see what shakes out of the current noise. Who knows when they'll follow through on this or if the price tag forces some ugly compromise.

Bryce property it seems was never in play as they have pretty well mapped out what they could there and it's settled.

If they do agree to build something I hope Oats and Byrne are able to force it into being basketball only. Period. Men's and Women's basketball. Period. Don't even construct it to be capable of pivoting into something else. Don't build it with a mindset for anything else. Otherwise just renovate Coleman and keep kicking this can down the road.

I was generally opposed to a completely new facility for years.

In part due to fear of what they would come up with for a new facility. A fear that the powers that be would force a new construction to be yet another bland, generic, and cavernous multipurpose building that is poorly suited to any specific sport or event but can be configured to serve many sports and events. Basically Coleman with luxury suites and maybe steeper stands but equally awful fan experiences.

I also somewhat opposed it for years as everyone knew the UofA would eventually consume the Bryce property and I didn't want to see us shoehorn a building somewhere when there would soon be quite a bit more space on campus. I felt the law school could have gone over there and a new gym built where the law school is located.

Then there was the chorus screaming that 15k was way too big and we needed a tiny gym that holds at most 10k fans so our Dec games don't look so pitiful. Basically Foster Aud with an upper deck and suites. I thought we needed to get good and show that we can fill 15k for big games. Then we can compromise at around 13.5 to 14k. A good team can fill the current 15k seating and will many times this Jan/Feb. For big games like UK it could fill 20k. 10k would be too small IMO.

As it is, it seems the feeling now is more for a basketball focused facility of some kind and modest renovations for Coleman for campus events but inflation and uncertainty likely has everything paused for a bit to see what shakes out of the current noise. Who knows when they'll follow through on this or if the price tag forces some ugly compromise.

Bryce property it seems was never in play as they have pretty well mapped out what they could there and it's settled.

If they do agree to build something I hope Oats and Byrne are able to force it into being basketball only. Period. Men's and Women's basketball. Period. Don't even construct it to be capable of pivoting into something else. Don't build it with a mindset for anything else. Otherwise just renovate Coleman and keep kicking this can down the road.
I totally agree that we don't need to downsize to a tiny cracker box arena like the boogs or Ole Miss have. Even in their best years that's about all they can expect to fill. We don't have that problem. Not counting the Covid season, we have averaged under 13k in attendance just twice in the last 7 seasons with mediocre teams. We have played 4 home games so far this season and have been below the 10k attendance mark just once. We're already well over 10k tickets sold for the Houston game this Saturday despite the awful 9:00 PM tip time. 14k is about as low as I would like to see us go, but I would rather see an arena with closer to 18k capacity. We would still fill that up for most conference games if CNO continues to put an exciting quality product on the floor.

Last edited:
What we need is to eliminate the people who aren't going to games and only buying tickets so that they can have points for football. There are prime seats that sit vacant no matter what. It is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT