ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Oats

I have watched Bama basketball since the 1970's and this team is most likely the best I've ever seen. CM Newton has some special teams in the mid 70's, one which had a chance to win it all. Wimp had some great 80's teams. But for me, none have looked as good as this team has looked in this month of January.

I went to my first Alabama Basketball game in old Foster Auditorium with my Dad, who was a high school basketball coach. I’ve seen some great C.M. Newton teams and some great Wimp Sanderson teams, but I believe this may be the most talented and deepest Alabama team that I’ve ever seen.

With plenty of time to change my mind I still think that the 75-76 team was the best. I truly believe that if we don’t catch the eventual champion Indiana Hoosiers when we did we could have possibly won it all. We were up 69-68 with about 2:00 to play before losing 74-69, after the game Bobby Knight said that we were the best team that his Hoosiers played.

Leon Douglass, Anthony Murray, T.R. Dunn, Reggie King and Rickey Brown carried most of the load with Leon Douglass being the horse averaging about 21 a game with 12 boards.

With about a month and a half to play in the regular season this team could easily emerge as the best in Bama history, but we need to stay healthy.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

With plenty of time to change my mind I still think that the 75-76 team was the best. I truly believe that if we don’t catch the eventual champion Indiana Hoosiers when we did we could have possibly won it all. We were up 69-68 with about 2:00 to play before losing 74-69, after the game Bobby Knight said that we were the best team that his Hoosiers played.

Leon Douglass, Anthony Murray, T.R. Dunn, Reggie King and Rickey Brown carried most of the load with Leon Douglass being the horse averaging about 21 a game with 12 boards.

With about a month and a half to play in the regular season this team could easily emerge as the best in Bama history, but we need to stay healthy.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
and hungry

ROLL TIDE!!!!
I was on the swimming team during this time and was good friends with most on the team. I used to go to the lower gym and watch them play before preseason practice began. They would divide up, play to 100, get a drink and play again. Great talent, just not enough depth to win it all.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
That was a great team and the best ever until proven otherwise, which could happen.

I think there have been previous teams that could match this first five BUT this years bench might make the difference over previous teams. YET old guy’s defense would sure bring on alot of turnovers from this group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT