ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four looks more like the first round of the NIT

With NIL, transfer portal, one and done player, the NCAA Tournament has gone down the road of an AAU Tournament....

The most under-achieved NCAA appearance based on talent and path of all of Bama's NCAA tournament appearance's. I am still stunned at lack of effort, lack of focus, lack of attitude and lack of coaching. To have played the way the did in 35 of 36 games and just lay a turd in the sweet sixteen is very very dis-appointing. I hope UConn smokes them all.

The most under-achieved NCAA appearance based on talent and path of all of Bama's NCAA tournament appearance's. I am still stunned at lack of effort, lack of focus, lack of attitude and lack of coaching. To have played the way the did in 35 of 36 games and just lay a turd in the sweet sixteen is very very dis-appointing. I hope UConn smokes them all.
A little rough on the team....Bama just shot the ball poorly Friday night....

I wished we would have attacked the rim with Bediako and Clowney more in the game. Bediako had success as he had a clear size advantage on their big men. Clowney scored the first three points of the game and nothing else. I would have preferred we tried to take it to the rim a few more times with our big men at the expense fewer threes and JQ getting 5 shots blocked driving to the rim. Creighton’s big man scored a lot today down low and they had a lot of trouble containing him.

Bediako does not have the post moves that Kalkbrenner possesses...To win games in the Sweet 16, your best players have to play well and, unfortunately, Miller, Clowney And Quinnerly were 8/38 from the field, 2/16 on threes...The 3 players above had more turnovers than made FGs

Bediako does not have the post moves that Kalkbrenner possesses...To win games in the Sweet 16, your best players have to play well and, unfortunately, Miller, Clowney And Quinnerly were 8/38 from the field, 2/16 on threes...The 3 players above had more turnovers than made FGs

Completely agree on Bediako. My thought would have been to drive to the rim with Miller, JQ, and Sears more and roll Chuck or Clowney to the rim for easier conversions like we did against Kentucky. San Diego State only had one true shot blocker with size and we would have kept him more honest where he couldn’t have helped as much on guards driving to the rim. I know Oats isn’t a fan of posting people up, but we have to find a way for our bigs to score more effectively around the rim when we have mismatches. Chuck improved offensively as the season progressed, hopefully he will continue the progression in the offseason.

A little rough on the team....Bama just shot the ball poorly Friday night....
Speaking the truth is rough most of the time.
I am an Oats fan. But he had to know with a week to prepare a for very good defensive team (defense is really all they could hang their hat on) like SDSU was going to come up with a game plan to get us out of our normal offense and get us uncomfortable. You would think we'd have come up with something to potentially counter this. It reminded me of the 2018 national title game against Clemson. Tua and the offense lived off of the RPO slant passes all season. We had carved up everyone with the slants to that point. Then, in the title game, Clemson had a game plan to stop these RPO slant passes and we got very uncomfortable and had zero answers (16 pts).

Last edited:
I am an Oats fan. But he had to know with a week to prepare a very good defensive team (defense is really all they cou hang their hat on) like SDSU was going to come up with a game plan to get us out of our normal offense and get us uncomfortable. You would think we'd have come up with something to potentially counter this. It reminded me of the 2018 national title game against Clemson. Tua and the offense lived off of the RPO slant passes all season. We had carved up everyone with the slants to that point. Then, in the title game, Clemson had a game plan to stop these RPO slant passes and we got very uncomfortable and had zero answers (16 pts).

That's my point. They worked their ass off, team and coaching staff to get to that point? And then that is what hits the floor team and coaching staff both when you get to the game Bama always fails at? And then they become the biggest failure of any Bama team to reach that point? No other Bama team in the sweet sixteen with that much talent laid as big a egg as this team and coaching staff? Shocked me that this is what they brought to this game. JMO

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid
Bama came out to start the 2H the first 10 minutes strong, outscored SDSU 26-11...Then, the turnovers started with lazy passes by Miller, Quinnerly....It is always easy to blame a head coach with the phrase “outcoached”...When 3 of your starters go 8/38, 2/16 on threes, you are not going to win a Sweet 16 game...

Reactions: therealsquid
I imagine the other number 1 seeds are saying the same thing. The transfer portal is going to keep this trend going in basketball where you have an over abundance of basketball talent out there.

Reactions: Watson_2
I imagine the other number 1 seeds are saying the same thing. The transfer portal is going to keep this trend going in basketball where you have an over abundance of basketball talent out there.
I know several on here have mentioned this train of thought too. But I feel like programs such as SDSU, FAU, Princeton, etc. are never the beneficiaries of the transfer portal. It's usually kids from these programs that end up transferring to bigger name schools.

Reactions: jtr4dad
I know several on here have mentioned this train of thought too. But I feel like programs such as SDSU, FAU, Princeton, etc. are never the beneficiaries of the transfer portal. It's usually kids from these programs that end up transferring to bigger name schools.
Basketball talent is was more abundant than football talent at the NCAA level. You only have to field 15 players as opposed to other sports. Max 2 deep as opposed to football where you have less talent available per skill position and they aren't as interchangeable. I know it sounds like excuses, but there is just more parity in basketball and going all the way is a once in a lifetime achievement for most teams. There will never be the UCLA and Kentucky dynasties of the past. Never!

Creighton shot 11% from three just like Alabama did. Awfully disappointing to blow the path that we had on paper, but that SDSU team is there for a reason. Top 15 kenpom team and top 5 defense. Team full of Seniors. Just a tough matchup. A lot of credit to them.
Yeah, I saw that too. And I believe Creighton is a decent three point shooting team. Definitely much better than 11%.

One other note about Creighton...did you know the Bluejays have actually recruited very well over the last several years?
2022 #23 overall
2021 #3 overall
2020 #39 overall

Yeah, I saw that too. And I believe Creighton is a decent three point shooting team. Definitely much better than 11%.

One other note about Creighton...did you know the Bluejays have actually recruited very well over the last several years?
2022 #23 overall
2021 #3 overall
2020 #39 overall
Yep… crazy. And not sure if their 2022 class reflects this or not, but they got arguably the best transfer portal player in Baylor Scheirman (sp)

I think the early fouls on Miller and Clowney really set the tone and gave advantage to the Aztecs to play they way they wanted.

Reactions: lainey2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT