ADVERTISEMENT

Food for thought before you fire the head Coach

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
i am not commenting on whether or not the head basketball coach should be retained; however I want to state some fact.

1. Four years ago, Alabama was turned down for the head coaching job by Greg Marshall, Rick Pitino, Jr., the Miller that was coaching at Dayton, among others. Alabama is not a dream coaching job, even with offering to double and triple salaries.

2. College basketball recruiting is 80 to 90% finished before the first game is played in November of each year. That means that 2020 recruiting is basically in the books before a recruit sees how your team wil play. I.e. Why we lost the Wetherspoons to Miss State. Why we had to fight to hold Ingram when CAJ was hired.

3. When you fire your coach you are releasing all of the recruits from the currently signed coach and any present prospect that was going to look at your school is going to look elsewhere, so in reality, under the present system you can hang it up until the start of the 2022 basketball season.

4. Most schools that have hired new coaches have not been successful, unless you are at a presently successful program have taken five years to turn the corner, I.e. Duke.

5. While Alabama may be a football hotbed, the same cannot be said for basketball.

All I am saying is that if you are going to fire CAJ, you had better have the new head coach ready to name the next hour and he better be a home run that is known by all of your signees and recruits, or you will be firing your next coach in three to four years.

That being said, I only see one name that could accomplish this goal and if Bill Donavan is not available or someone of that ilk, I say stay where we are. I am highly disappointed in the job done this year, however, I am not at all convinced that we had better talent than almost all of the teams in front of us in the conference. Yes, CAJ is the coach that is suppose to get the talent to Bama, but then see problems #1 & #2.

If you cannot improve the situation, I would say we need to stand pat and give CAJ the fifth year.

Pelphrey or Pettway, give me a break. Kelvin Sampson and we will soon be in the same place that LSU and Arizona will be next year. If we have to hire Bruce Pearl type, I would rather close,down the program. We have tried the flavor of the month and it did not work. I took C.M. Newton five years to build the program and it took David Hobbs two years to destroy the program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News