ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Four-star 2025 Florida commit talks Alabama interest, offer from new staff

Jack Knowlton

All American
Staff
Oct 10, 2023
The new Alabama coaching staff has continued approaching the top Class of 2025 targets Nick Saban and Company originally offered. That creates a unique opportunity for some targets to receive not one but two offers from the Crimson Tide.

Four-star 2025 wide receiver Josiah Abdullah is one of those lucky few. Alabama first offered Abdullah in January 2023 but new receivers coach JaMarcus Shephard re-offered the talented wideout Tuesday.

“It was a great conversation,” Abdullah told Tide Illustrated. “It’s funny to say you get offered by Alabama twice in my high school career; that’s a great feeling. Not many people can say that so it was a great feeling.”

Abdullah is ranked the No. 42 wide receiver in the 2025 class and plays for Woodward Academy in College Park, Georgia. He is currently committed to Florida, announcing a verbal pledge to the Gators on Jan. 14. Though he’s locked into his commitment, Abdullah said he’s still hearing schools out and doesn’t want to close any doors with several months remaining before signing day. He hadn’t heard from the Crimson Tide since the new staff took over until Shephard paid a visit to his school Tuesday.

“He was definitely telling me about being a receiver and how they focus on getting the ball to the player and keeping the ball moving and how Washington was last year,” Abdullah said. “He’s saying they’re going to bring that over to Bama and keep them balling of course… I’m excited to see that as well.”

Though his relationship with the new staff is just getting started, Abdullah said a summer official visit to Alabama could be on the table, and he may take both an OV and a visit before the summer. He last visited Alabama during his sophomore year and was supposed to make a return trip but couldn’t complete the journey due to car trouble.

As far as what Abdullah is looking for in a school, his requirements are pretty simple.

“My first thing is getting to the league,” Abdullah said. “I'm definitely going to the NFL and I'm gonna be a first-round pick. Stars and all that other stuff mean nothing until you do get on the field and show them what you're really about. I feel like where I go, it's got to be all about what's going to get me where I really want to go the quickest and keeping the main thing the main thing.

“NIL is a great thing and I definitely want to take advantage of it especially if the opportunity is there, which it is there. So, especially in today's day and age with NIL being available, I definitely want to take advantage of it. But the main thing is the main thing. I'm choosing the best thing for me to get to the NFL, and get there as quick as possible.”

Growing up, Abdullah marveled at the speed of former Alabama wideouts, including Jerry Jeudy and aspires to reach football’s biggest stage just as Jeudy has. Like the current Browns wideout, speed is the name of Abdullah’s game. He described himself as a big-play machine with the ball in his hands.

“If I’m even I’m leaving, which I’m always leaving,” Abdullah said. “I get the ball making plays, scoring touchdowns, especially in the open field. I can take it from the backfield, too. Motions, jet sweeps, all of that.”

Abdullah’s NFL aspirations and eye for a big play could make Alabama an ideal destination, especially given he’ll be coached by Shephard, who can use former Washington wideout Rome Odunze as evidence of his ability to develop NFL-level talent. Odunze became one of the best receivers in the country and a top-10 pick under Shephard's tutelage. Abdullah knows his talent could be similarly harnessed when inserted into Shephard’s receiver room.

“It's really attractive, especially the way they use all their receivers,” Abdullah said. “They know how to spread the field out and get the ball where it needs to be.”

In addition to Alabama, Abdullah mentioned Texas, Texas A&M and Tennessee as schools that have contacted him consistently. While Shephard will have to make up some ground heading into the summer, there is clear interest from both sides. Given Shephard’s coaching pedigree and Abdullah’s vision for his career, the Tide could be in contention to potentially flip the four-star wideout, especially if the staff gets him on campus this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News