ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Nelson Update

I’ve been told by multiple sources that the visit is going really well and are the favorites to land him at this time.

I’ll keep y’all updated as I know more
What are the chances that we get Nelson and Arthur Kaluma? I hate to be greedy but it still looks like we need both to help add depth to our front court. Unless Sam Walters is good enough to play big minutes right away.

Got to bring in a big that can rebound, block, make shoots from the line, and stay out of foul trouble. Hard to imagine but possible.

Reactions: Bama 28 and bet9
I hope that Coach Oats ask Coach Saban if he could borrow a few of the football teams finest ladies of the night. (pj)

ROLL TIDE!!!!
i hope he likes ladies because arkansas will have a couple of backwoods mofo`s ready for him.

Reactions: Jim4bama1
JB Hunt, Walmart and Tyson are waiting with a checkbook. The investment in Arkansas basketball is substantial.

• Sad
Reactions: xcop
JB Hunt, Walmart and Tyson are waiting with a checkbook. The investment in Arkansas basketball is substantial.
Sometimes, short term money does not win the day. Someone looking to move into the first round needs to be where they can start, be a star, and get 30 minutes a game of playing time.

Arkansas only provides short term money, Alabama offers a chance to be a star. What drives the player will decide this battle.

Sometimes, short term money does not win the day. Someone looking to move into the first round needs to be where they can start, be a star, and get 30 minutes a game of playing time.

Arkansas only provides short term money, Alabama offers a chance to be a star. What drives the player will decide this battle.
Good post Vaughnbama! Arkansas can provide more money through the companies pwestbro61 mentioned. But they can’t/won’t give him the minutes he’ll get at Bama playing in a system more conducive to his skills and the NBA. Muss is a relentless recruiter and a pain in the SEC’s side. Oats is good at identifying the right pieces and putting the full court press on them.

I believe he would have already committed if it wasn’t for NIL money. He’s going to see what Arkansas has to offer.

Reactions: lainey2020
There were 2 five star freshmen on Arkansas roster last year with one having a higher national ranking than Miller coming out of high school. If Miller is the 2nd or 3rd player drafted as most think he will be, he will be making several million dollars a year more than ether of the former Arkansas freshmen will be making the next 3 years. Like several have said, hopefully Nelson will look at the bigger picture. I honestly believe Oats does a much better job developing players than the crazy little man in Arkansas does.

I think you guys are putting way too much importance on stats translating to draft stock. Sure, being a top scorer at Bama will get you some attention but if the guy is NBA material the scouts will find him even if he is avg 12 points a game and making $350K at Arky. Look back through the first round of recent drafts and you'll find plenty of college guys drafted that didn't light it up.

My concern is that this could be one main reason why Oats decides to leave T-town. Not saying he is unhappy at all but is has to wear on a guy in today's climate to see so much go into a football program yet every recruit you're after leverages you for more money from a rival that loves basketball. Hopefully that's not the case.

I think you guys are putting way too much importance on stats translating to draft stock. Sure, being a top scorer at Bama will get you some attention but if the guy is NBA material the scouts will find him even if he is avg 12 points a game and making $350K at Arky. Look back through the first round of recent drafts and you'll find plenty of college guys drafted that didn't light it up.

My concern is that this could be one main reason why Oats decides to leave T-town. Not saying he is unhappy at all but is has to wear on a guy in today's climate to see so much go into a football program yet every recruit you're after leverages you for more money from a rival that loves basketball. Hopefully that's not the case.
We all love and support the football program and understand the investment and why it is done.
But it has always been this way for basketball in Tuscaloosa. Forever. And now with NIL requirements it will be worse.
Does not matter what anything cost for football in Tuscaloosa/ write a check or finance it.

Will never be that way for basketball.

I agree if NIL doesn’t change the best coaches will end up where they have the best chance to be competitive. The simple economics of supple & demand will drive them away from schools like Alabama.

Frazor, we are not talking about a guy that can play, we are talking about a guy that came from a lessor program that had Second Round projection. He is coming back to college to try to prove to the Pro's that he is worthy of First Round consideration. You don't move out of the second round and to the First round, when you don't prove yourself against upper level competition. If you don't get big minutes in college, you probably are not going in the First Round of the NBA Draft. Nelson is gambling that he can get to the First Round. The issue is who gives him the best path.

Nelson will be the man at Alabama, unless Pringle beats him out, which is possible. Nelson will be a man at Arkansas. Arkansas will not be able to keep everyone happy. There is one more factor favoring Alabama, a proven Point Guard that can make the rest of the team look better. With Nelson, we are not talking about can Alabama get him drafted, as he would have been drafted this year. The Question is who can get him to the First Round.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
I think Nelson and Pringle can play at the same time. If Nelson comes he will start and play a lot of minutes.

Reactions: lainey2020
I agree if NIL doesn’t change the best coaches will end up where they have the best chance to be competitive. The simple economics of supple & demand will drive them away from schools like Alabama.
Very few, if any, schools can compete with Arkansas money (walmart, jb hunt, stephens..). And the schools who can are mostly in states with other colleges and pro teams. In Arkie, the interest of the entire State in on the Pigs.

Very few, if any, schools can compete with Arkansas money (walmart, jb hunt, stephens..). And the schools who can are mostly in states with other colleges and pro teams. In Arkie, the interest of the entire State in on the Pigs.
+ Tyson Foods

How are the reports to Alabama coming? We are all seating at the edge of our seats. Just wondering?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT