ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson: Monday Morning Quarterback

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
Five Takeaways Following Alabama’s 26-14 Loss to Auburn

1. Auburn is playing through the roof. Not a terrible loss. The good news is that Alabama is 11-1 and should have enough resume points to jump to Number four in the college football rankings after Conference Championship Saturday. Obviously, we are watching Oklahoma vs. TCU and Wisconsin vs. Ohio State. The Buckeyes open as a six-point favorite over the Badgers, so even Las Vegas thinks that Ohio State will win the Big 10 Championship game. Vegas also has Auburn as a two-point favorite over Georgia, Clemson as a touchdown favorite over Miami, Oklahoma as a five-point favorite over TCU. If you’re an Alabama fan, simply root for Ohio State and TCU. As Saban said following the game, not many teams have been able to win 11 games and throughout the year playing with as many injuries as Alabama faced, it’s amazing this loss did not come sooner. Losing late is never good, but Alabama is far from being out of the playoffs and still, yes, has a very good shot to win the National Championship.

2. The running back distribution at Alabama is odd to say the least. Look, Brian Daboll, in my opinion, has done a great job this season as the offensive coordinator, but a continued oddity is the way he uses the running backs. It’s like he is trying to keep the running backs happy rather than keeping the hottest back in the game. Damien Harris carried the football six times for 51-yards, Bo Scarbrough carried the football six times for 46-yards, and Josh Jacobs carried the football six times for 26-yards. When Damien looked to be feeling it, they took him out, same with Bo, and the same with Josh. Auburn’s Kerryon Johnson carried the football 30 times against Alabama for 104-yards. Think what Damien could do with 30 touches? Sure, Auburn was going to load the box, but Alabama took themselves out of the game offensively, by staying away from the hottest back.

3. Rattled in Auburn. You have seen more Alabama football than I, but I have never seen Alabama play like that, especially towards the later part of the game. The two fumbled snaps, a few uncharacteristic penalties, and a botched hold on a field goal attempt? Auburn’s Jordan Hare Stadium was electric and that atmosphere played a role in the victory on Saturday. Auburn has beaten two No. 1 teams in the last few weeks, both of those games were in Auburn and it will be interesting to see if the Tigers can carry that momentum into the SEC Championship game.

4. More good news. Christian Miller, Terrell Lewis, and Mack Wilson all played against Auburn. While they might not have contributed at the highest level, they are back, and over the next few weeks as Alabama prepares for their fate, the defense is going to be locked and loaded. Dylan Moses has also played lights out over the last two games and looks to be reading the field at a very high level. While the secondary struggled I felt at times, there is continued room for improvement, and Minkah Fitzpatrick and Ronnie Harrison will be able to hold it down for the remaining games.

5. I understand you want to be critical of your team in every way possible and the standards of excellence here are perfection. You’re going to have to accept this loss to Auburn as bitter as it tastes, but also realize that it’s far from over and Alabama might actually get another shot at the Tigers down the road and you know how sweet revenge is.

Recap of Marquee Injuries This Season For Alabama

Joshua Jacobs - Hamstring (Missed first two games)

Christian Miller - Torn Biceps against Florida State

Terrell Lewis - Torn ligament in elbow against Florida State

Rashaan Evans - Groin injury against Florida State (missed two games)

Anfernee Jennings - Ankle injury against Florida State (missed two games)

Miller Forristall - ACL against Colorado State

Da'Shawn Hand - MCL Strain against Ole Miss (missed three games)

Mack Wilson - Broken foot against LSU

Shaun Dion Hamilton - Fractured kneecap against LSU

Ross Pierschbacher - High ankle sprain (missed Mercer)

Key Quote From Saban’s Press Conference

“I think this team deserves the opportunity to get into the playoffs by what they have been able to accomplish and what they have been able to do,” Said Saban. “Not maybe in this game, but I think the team we played is a pretty good football team and probably one of the best teams in the Country. We won 11 games, not many teams were able to do that. I really don’t know what all the scenarios might be where we would have an opportunity to do it. I would certainly like to see this team get an opportunity and I think they deserve it.

POST GAME STATS

DEFENSIVE NOTES

TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS: With Da’Ron Payne’s first quarter fumble recovery, the Alabama defense has forced at least one turnover in 40 of its last 42 games dating to the start of the 2015 season. During the current run, the Crimson Tide has forced 70 turnovers (47 interceptions, 23 fumbles) and returned 16 of those miscues for touchdowns.

MOSES LEADS TIDE IN TACKLES FOR SECOND STRAIGHT GAME: Freshman linebacker Dylan Moses racked up double-digit tackles for the second straight week, finishing with a game-high 10 stops, six of which were solo. The Baton Rouge, La., native now has 30 tackles and 5.5 tackles for loss (-24 yards) on the season.

OFFENSIVE NOTES

CONVERTING ON FOURTH DOWN: Jalen Hurts’ scramble for a first down on fourth-and-one on the Crimson Tide’s second quarter scoring drive today was Alabama’s 13th fourth down conversion in 13 attempts this season, which leads the nation.

SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES

SEASON-LONG PUNT FOR SCOTT: JK Scott’s 64-yard punt in the second quarter is a season long for the senior. Scott’s previous best was 59 yards against Colorado State on Sept. 16.

SCOTT CLIMBING TIDE CAREER PUNTING LIST: Punter JK Scott’s 184 punting yards against the Tigers gives him 10,576 yards for his career to extend his UA career record. He is the first punter in UA history to surpass the 10,000 yard mark. Scott’s four punting attempts at Auburn puts the senior at 231 for his career, the second-most in Tide history behind P.J. Fitzgerald (2006-09), who punted 238 times in his career.

Keeping Up With The Coaching Changes

Texas A&M - Out is Kevin Sumlin - In Is TBA

Tennessee - Out is Butch Jones - In is TBA

Mississippi State - Out is Dan Mullen - In is TBA

Florida - Out is Jim McElwain - In is Dan Mullen

Ole Miss - Out is Hugh Freeze - In Is Matt Luke

Arkansas - Out is Brett Bielema - In Is TBA

Non-SEC Schools

Arizona State - Out is Todd Graham - In Is TBA

UCLA - Out is Jim Mora - In Is Chip Kelly

Nebraska - Out is Mike Riley - In Is TBA

South Alabama - Out is Joey Jones - In Is TBA

UTEP - Out is Mike Price - In Is TBA

Hendo’s College Football Top Six

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Wisconsin
4. Auburn
5. Alabama
6. Georgia

Alabama Basketball Schedule For This Week

Alabama vs. LA Tech on Wednesday, November 29 at 7PM (SECN)

Alabama vs. UCH on Sunday, December 3 at 1:00PM (ESPNU)

SEC Basketball Standings
o8vrzwsejjqqydicdzuv

Post Game Podcast - Alabama still alive in playoff hunt

Saban Post Game Presser

Sexton Drops 40

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News