Henderson: The 3-2-1 after Alabama’s 42 point win over ULL

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
Henderson: The 3-2-1 after Alabama’s 42 point win over ULL

Three Observations

1. No 100-yard rushers again

Alabama has not had a 100-yard rusher since Week two against Arkansas State when Najee arris ran for 13 carries for 135-yards. While the stat stands out, Alabama still rushed for 268-yards on the ground against ULL on Saturday with Najee Harris leading the way with 75-yards off 11 carries, followed by Brian Robinson with 65-yards off 12-carries, and Josh Jacobs with 49-yards and two touchdowns. Jacobs looks very impressive with the football, might I say he looks like the best overall running back on the team through five games?

Maybe that is a stretch, but I cannot even imagine what would happen with Jacobs getting 20-touches. Where is Damien Harris? Good question, the seasoned senior ran for just five times for 20-yards, which could be a good thing as he stays fresh for the later part of the season and younger mouths get fed like freshman Jerome Ford who ran for three carries for 33-yards, his average of 11.0 was the highest per running back on the day and overall he runs very hard. By the way, Ford is not red-shirting as he’s played in every game this season.

2. Waddle baby Waddle baby Waddle baby Waddle

The thought of true freshmen don’t play at Alabama is false. Very false as Alabama has played a good amount of true freshmen this season, but none shine more on offense than Jaylen Waddle. The Houston, Texas native caught three passes for 138-yards, including a 94-yard slant that he took to the house and he also returned a punt 63-yards for a score.

In total, Waddle had 201 all-purpose yards and with three touchdowns. I hope he hat tips fellow freshman Jaylen Moody because Moody nearly flipped over a defender with a monster crack back during that punt.

3. Dominating defense, but the second unit needs work

The first team defense is going to give fits to anyone in the Country, but the depth within the second team needs a lot of work and even Nick Saban said that after the game, not the two touchdowns allowed in the 4th quarter.

Truth be told, Jared Mayden looked lost on that 18-yard touchdown pass with 3:58 left in the game. Leading the team in tackles was Deionte Thompson who had seven total tackles followed by Joshua McMillion who had six, McMillion is one of those second-team defensive players who did look good on the day and even chimed in on a sack. Dylan Moses and Mack Wilson combined for nine tackles on the day and Trevon Diggs recorded his first interception of the season.

Two Questions

1. What is going on with Joseph Bulovas and Austin Jones

These two have been very sub-par (being nice here) and just when you though Bulovas was the guy after hitting that 47-yard field goal last week against Texas A&M, he misses two very easy field goals today against ULL.

Is there anyone else that can kick on this team? Is there a walk-on out there? The kicking game (field goal) is the one area that Alabama has major issues and if they are unable to correct this, they are going to have a tough time winning the National Championship plain and simple. A bad field goal kicker will cost you.

2. Is there any other area of weakness on this Alabama team?

The punt game does not look very strong, but it does not seem like a weakness. Just needs improvement and you have to think that Skyler DeLong who is a true freshmen starts playing better moving forward. Besides field goal and Alabama’s punt game, what area do you think Alabama potential has a weakness?

Maybe depth with the second team defense or maybe the fact that Alabama has not played a strong schedule and have not been tested through four-quarters, let’s face it this schedule has been soft, soft, soft, and Arkansas and Missouri don’t seem to pose any major threats.

One Prediction

1. Alabama beats the rest of their opponents on their schedule by 14+ points

Ok, maybe I am providing the rat poison here, but until I see something different from LSU and Auburn, Alabama is much, much better than both of those two teams. While I foresee Alabama and Georgia on a Collision Course, no one on Alabama’s schedule can touch these guys, especially with Tua at the helm.

All feedback welcomed. Have a great evening.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News