ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS PREVIEW: Florida 2/27

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Must-win? In my humble opinion, yes it is. Two games left and one is a home game, so it's a must win. Alabama had a chance to secure an NCAA tournament berth against U.K. And AU on the road, but failed. They had a chance to do the same at home against Arkansas, but failed. Alabama is running out of chances, so tonight is a must win.

Florida was on a slide like Alabama, losing three in a row, before defeating Auburn at home on Saturday night. Alabama has already defeated Florida once this season, a 68-50 victory in Gainesville. Alabama did not play well the first half, but clamped down on defense and got out in transition in the second half. They limited Florida to less than 20 pints in the second half.

Alabama needs to do more of the same this matchup as well. The Tide has to start dominating the paint again. Florida is not a big team, so getting Donta Hall going is big. He has disappeared since his big game against Kentucky. This is the last opportunity to see Collin Sexton at Coleman and what a pleasure it has been. He's been one of the more exciting players I've seen come through TTown. Also, Norris and Armond will be honored during senior night, but still could seek another year of eligibility. I do not expect either player to return next season.

I'm going to say this for third straight game: Rebounding is the key. They have to limit offensive rebounds because recently that's been the difference in the games. Also, I would like to see this team shoot with confidence. At the end of the Arkansas game, we saw how well this team can shoot. That's because they shot without hesitation and didn't think about it. If it meant taking some bad shots, so be it. I want to see this team play loose.

Alabama needs this game. Win and I believe they secure a tournament berth. Lose, and that puts a lot of pressure on winning on the road at A&M and the tournament. Florida is a lot better matchup for Alabama than the previous three teams. They are pretty soft rebounding, not a great 3 point shooting team, and not very big inside. I think Alabama comes out motivated to win on senior night and pulls it out.

Prediction:
Alabama 76-71

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News