ADVERTISEMENT

How will Tagovailoa's injury affect Alabama title run?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
Tua Tagovailoa suffered a high-ankle sprain during Saturday’s game against Tennessee. The starting quarterback had a tight-rope procedure on his right ankle Sunday and will miss this week’s game against Arkansas.

Tagovailoa previously had the same surgery done to his left ankle after injuring it during last season’s SEC Championship Game against Georgia. He was able to return for the Orange Bowl 29 days later and completed 24 of 27 passes for 318 yards and four touchdowns during a 45-34 victory over Oklahoma.

No. 1 Alabama is currently a 33-point favorite over Arkansas this week, according to VegasInsider.com. While Crimson Tide shouldn’t have any trouble getting past the Razorbacks, it will likely need Tagovailoa back for its following game against No. 2 LSU on Nov. 9. The left-hander will have had three weeks to recover from his injury by then.

Today's question — How will Tagovailoa's injury affect Alabama title run?

Kyle Henderson: Significantly if Tagovailoa does not get back to 100 percent sooner than later. Straight up, if Tagovailoa is not ready for LSU, there is a high probability that the Tigers come into Bryant-Denny Stadium and hand the Crimson Tide its first loss of the season. With that being said, the Alabama training staff has seen this injury before. We've seen Tagovailoa recover from this same injury last year, and once he returned he continued to play at a high level. I've always said that the Achilles' heel of this team is the health of Tagovailoa. An unhealthy Tagovailoa is the worst-case scenario for the Crimson Tide.

Tony Tsoukalas: I don’t see Alabama beating LSU without Tagovailoa at close to 100 percent. Following the game against Tennessee, outside linebacker Terrell Lewis said he talked to the starting quarterback who told him, “I’ll be back for LSU.”

“I know how Tua is,” Lewis said. “It’s something he’s been through before, so I don’t doubt the fact that he’s a competitor. He’s going to get right back, and he’ll be fine.”

Alabama released an update following Tagovailoa’s surgery Sunday, stating that it expects the left-hander to make a “full and speedy recovery.” How speedy that recovery is will determined both the SEC West and College Football Playoff picture.

What's your take?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News