ADVERTISEMENT

i`ve been wanting

mr4bama

All American
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
a new arena for a long time. with all the empty seats you see on tv is not a good look. if they build one they need to do it right. i`m afraid they are going to build it smaller and raise the prices so high there will still be empty seats.

I've read a few rumors mentioned where some established season ticket holders are being offered dibs on seats in a new arena but the costs are on par with the Champions Club areas of BD. The "cheap" seats so far are requiring something absurd like $12.5k one time donation per seat payable over a few years plus an annual TP donation that's about 1/4 of that. Sidecourt/on court starting at around $250k. If these were real numbers I'm curious how many are biting and how many are shrugging shoulders and preparing to move on from basketball support. IMO it also makes it clear this will be a very very small arena, smaller than the plans we saw a year or two ago, so any seat that isn't student seating will be treated like a club level premium.

The new arena will be the end of affordable season tickets for Bama basketball. At least for the folks that are currently at the bottom end of Tide Pride seating in Coleman.

I've read a few rumors mentioned where some established season ticket holders are being offered dibs on seats in a new arena but the costs are on par with the Champions Club areas of BD. The "cheap" seats so far are requiring something absurd like $12.5k one time donation per seat payable over a few years plus an annual TP donation that's about 1/4 of that. Sidecourt/on court starting at around $250k. If these were real numbers I'm curious how many are biting and how many are shrugging shoulders and preparing to move on from basketball support. IMO it also makes it clear this will be a very very small arena, smaller than the plans we saw a year or two ago, so any seat that isn't student seating will be treated like a club level premium.

The new arena will be the end of affordable season tickets for Bama basketball. At least for the folks that are currently at the bottom end of Tide Pride seating in Coleman.
If these are the real numbers someone has lost their mind.

Those numbers are real. I love me some Bama athletics but these costs have spiraled out of control. Moving forward I’ll watch these games from the house and save some big $$$$

Reactions: bet9
If these are the real numbers someone has lost their mind.
If I didn't know what they were asking folks to pay just for a seat move in BD I would have doubted the basketball numbers.

Everyone that requested a move to a different section of BD and was going to get the move they wanted also got a $7500 bill this summer on top of all the other expected donation changes. Everyone in what once was U1 and U2 of BD were offered the chance to join the clubs replacing them for an astronomical fee plus a massive bump in donation costs back in 2020. Many of them just gave up their season tickets over it or moved to nosebleed bleacher seats that they put on stubhub in late Aug. Some of those same folks that were shit into upper end zone seats thought they were getting back to a decent seat this year but got that $7500 surprise to go with it.

I get it, it ain't cheap to run an athletic department. And with NIL funds and the facilities arms race and staff costs it's gotten even more ridiculous. But the direction these prices are going will guarantee the only "fans" will be corporate entities and 1% types that maybe attend two or three games (au, lsu, uga) every couple years and sell the rest. A soulless crowd not really there to enjoy the game so much as be there.

I think the bball numbers I've heard about are a first wave offered to the few really big $$ donors and members of the highest Tide Pride levels but it makes it clear any seat isn't going be a simple trade where your donations maybe bump up but you keep your place. They're resetting the table top to bottom based on the depth of your wallet. And if the arena is as small as it sounds like it may be then a lot of cutting will have to happen anyway so pricing out folks is easier than a disappointment letter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT