ADVERTISEMENT

Is assistant coaching turnover hurting Alabama?

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
Each morning I read through various rivals sites to see what's going on and look for interesting topics to talk about on my podcast or bring here. Today on the Clemson Site I came across this regarding Alabama's turnover with assistant coaches.

Posts from the Clemson Rivals site

I said t before last season and it rings true again...Saban appears to be getting lazy in his hiring of replacement of assistant coaches that leave the program.

Also, losing Pruitt has been big for their secondary development. He’s one of the best in the business developing DBs and now they just hired Charles Kelly.

I continued to state prior to the game last year that our receivers were going to torch their DBs and they did. Their secondary let people run free all year but teams just couldn’t take advantage of it. They looked lost at times in the back end. The LB play was down but it was better than the secondary play

They release similar articles to this every offseason, yet none of them ever discuss the coaching turnover. That's a huge factor, and it's even bigger now that Saban is no longer replacing them with quality like he was for several years. The coaching hires just haven't been that impressive. Sarkisian at OC isn't scaring anyone. Pruitt at DC was a hell of a coaching hire. Those caliber hires aren't happening now, and I doubt they pick back up.

Sark isn’t great but it was upgrade by default. The DC promotion is very blah and the rest of the hires would not excite anyone

Here are some additional comments on Alabama's potential weakness this season

You’re right on the money. I was going to say “boredom” but such boredom for bama is brought on by arrogance when they have no real challenges. Short of a last second TD versus CLEMSON in ‘16, bama was undefeated (again) and playing for their 4th consecutive national title last season. Their 4th consecutive.

They had already avenged the last second loss to CLEMSON the year before and felt it was a fluke, right? Luck. Not who they really are, etc. Then they came out all frothing at the mouth with tony brown fabricated stories to motivate themselves and handled CLEMSON as they believe to this day is some natural world order to the universe. Then ‘18 was a cakewalk breeze through the SEC to the point tua playing in the 4th quarter was a running joke. They were full of themselves, yes.

CLEMSON earned that curb stomping beatdown of bama regardless for another National Championship. But bama’s so-called weakness is their belief they are the greatest <fill in the blank> in the history of college football annually.

I wouldn’t expect them to care this season about any of that. In fact, I fully expect saban and their players to throw fake praise at CLEMSON as often as possible. They have one purpose this year that will never be on a list of goals or discussed in interviews outright. A goal above a natty. And that is to beat CLEMSON. Period. Revenge. An opportunity to regain their dignity and the invulnerable swag they felt was an entitled right before CLEMSON ripped it out of their chest and stomped it into the ground.

Bama wants CLEMSON. End of story. They’re lying if the say otherwise...and of course, they will lie and say they have other goals that are more important., blah, blah. The good news for CLEMSON is —- they want bama again too. Especially since bama felt CLEMSON had a soft schedule while they had a brutal one. Since CLEMSON had such a great DL that will never be matched again or be a concern for them. Since the bama coaches now gone were more recruiters and suddenly terrible calling games for an undefeated bama squad.

Bama will be focused this year like few others. There won’t be any fun had until the stench of the beatdown loss to CLEMSON can be avenged. Poor CLEMSON. Still not able to gain much genuine respect from bama. Guess we’ll have to see if both teams can take care of their own business and cross paths as the season unfolds.

We ran this story yesterday and it received three posts here, on the Clemson site this thread is gonig on three pages! haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News