ADVERTISEMENT

Its not Pearl, Calapira, or Barnes

He did reply to me after I said Arkansas have made back-to-back Elite Eights.

No doubt UCLA got hot, Alabama helped in that. You’re still the favorite as a 2 seed one year and as a 6 seed the next. In both game he lost the coaching matchup.
Please take a day or two off the “ bash Nate Oats” train. Couple of days off would do ya good😉😉

Please take a day or two off the “ bash Nate Oats” train. Couple of days off would do ya good😉😉
I took the day off work and I'm bored so 🤷🏾‍♂️. Nothing else better to do right now.

Because they ( the players) hit 10-25 free throws and Herb missed 4 in a row that could have won it. Nate was not shooting by the way.
Why was the ball in Herb’s hand in that situation? Kind of like this year when I kept asking why are we not getting the ball in Ellis's hands at the end of games.

What DaFuq are you talking about? Are you saying the only thing that matters is a Final Four? You can’t seriously be trying to downplay getting to an Elite Eight.
Not at all saying that. But you putting UCLA in some category of teams that were weak and didn’t belong is dumb… they went to the Final 4

Reactions: cola68
Meh, I think both sides of the Oats discussion can admit mistakes were made this season. A lot of it is on Oats but team isn't without fault as well.

After a week or so I've come around to the notion that Oats started smashing panic buttons when it was clear this team would struggle to shoot consistently and we didn't really have a good alternative. He simply wasn't prepared for the way things spiraled down after Memphis and the only answers he had that were any good would have meant having to back to Oct to start over.

Regardless, we can hope Oats steps back and learns a lot from this season. Both in how the team is built and what he asks of them. Maybe even self scout this off season to see what he can tweak to move forward. Maybe take a page from Saban's book and find an analyst or three that can tear apart our game tapes and point out things from a different viewpoint.

Meh, I think both sides of the Oats discussion can admit mistakes were made this season. A lot of it is on Oats but team isn't without fault as well.

After a week or so I've come around to the notion that Oats started smashing panic buttons when it was clear this team would struggle to shoot consistently and we didn't really have a good alternative. He simply wasn't prepared for the way things spiraled down after Memphis and the only answers he had that were any good would have meant having to back to Oct to start over.

Regardless, we can hope Oats steps back and learns a lot from this season. Both in how the team is built and what he asks of them. Maybe even self scout this off season to see what he can tweak to move forward. Maybe take a page from Saban's book and find an analyst or three that can tear apart our game tapes and point out things from a different viewpoint.
Absolutely 1000% agree.

Reactions: RollTide15
I'm not an analysis nerd; what I see when I watch them is a team that uses the entire floor, which forces you to defend the entire floor. If they were a team that jacks up a bunch of 3s, they would be watching like the rest of us, not in their 2nd straight Elite Eight...
Arky will shoot some free throws during the season.. didn’t they shoot 20 plus versus AU and Bama?

Not at all saying that. But you putting UCLA in some category of teams that were weak and didn’t belong is dumb… they went to the Final 4
UCLA’s big man just sat in the lane and body bagged whoever was guarding him. He would get position on Bama’s defender and get a pass very close to the basket.
He was unstoppable. The bruins were playing really well.. guarding , hitting 3’s , rebounding .. you name it

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0

Absolutely 1000% agree.
This is pretty much what I've been saying, maybe in a way that was more harshly criticizing but still, the message is similar.

My only concern is that the things I was concerned about last year were the same thing I mentioned as a concern in year 1 and even at times in year 2.

I called him the Gus Malzahn of CBB in year 1 because I saw a coach hell-bent on playing his style regardless of whether the talent on the team was capable of playing that style for a full 40 minutes. Bama lost big leads in games because they continued to play fast, shoot fast, shoot a lot of 3s, while only playing 7 players who tired out.

Reactions: TideFever
This is pretty much what I've been saying, maybe in a way that was more harshly criticizing but still, the message is similar.

My only concern is that the things I was concerned about last year were the same thing I mentioned as a concern in year 1 and even at times in year 2.

I called him the Gus Malzahn of CBB in year 1 because I saw a coach hell-bent on playing his style regardless of whether the talent on the team was capable of playing that style for a full 40 minutes. Bama lost big leads in games because they continued to play fast, shoot fast, shoot a lot of 3s, while only playing 7 players who tired out.
He played a 10 year rotation all year…

Reactions: pfaud001
They are an elite of elite defensive team. They suck on offense

btw 7/25 from 3 last night. 38% total from the floor. Worse vs New Mexico State when they mustered up like 52 points.

other shit wins basketball games other than the mid range shot. But…. “Fvck the stats I see what I see” pretty much tells me all I need to know
Are you saying it’s a bit like trying to discount the effectiveness of the west coast offense because the 85 Bears didn’t use it?

By “right the ship” you mean continuing to do what no one has done for Bama hoops in 3 decades?
No I do not. I mean not making the same mistakes that were made this past season. Past glory won't help you moving forward. I am referring to things such as getting the players to play as a team, establishing leadership, intensifying defensive efforts, more strategic TOs, and practicing mid-range shots. I would start with reenforcing the basic fundamentals such as boxing out, solid passing, and cutting down on turnovers. If things haven't improved by 2024...start the neutering process.

No I do not. I mean not making the same mistakes that were made this past season. Past glory won't help you moving forward. I am referring to things such as getting the players to play as a team, establishing leadership, intensifying defensive efforts, more strategic TOs, and practicing mid-range shots. I would start with reenforcing the basic fundamentals such as boxing out, solid passing, and cutting down on turnovers. If things haven't improved by 2024...start the neutering process.
If you were coach K’s athletic director, no one would know who he is

If you were coach K’s athletic director, no one would know who he is
That's an assumption on your behalf...and you know what happens when you make an assumption. It makes an azz-outta-u!
Here's some food for thought for you:
a). The only easy day was yesterday (equates to living on past accomplishments).
b). Second place is for first place losers (settling for mediocracy).
RTR!!!!!

I think folks are really discounting what is coming. We have 2 McDonald’s All-Americans coming to Alabama in one recruiting class. If Kobe Brown comes, Alabama will be really good next year. We need an elite pg, but I bet we will pick that up in the portal. There is a lot to be happy about for next year.

Reactions: TideFever and mtmax

The main objective year 1 was to establish his system so he could recruit to it. On court success was an added bonus. You have to establish who you are early on bc players need to see what you are not just be told “if you come here we’ll use you unlike anyone else we’ve had.” For instance they see Brandon Miller doing a lot of what herb did offensively and that is a major reason he chose Bama. Oats first full recruiting class since year 1 is a homerun and his style is very attractive to guys in the portal.

I just believe in what he’s doing overall despite some growing pains and areas of improvement for a young coach.

I think folks are really discounting what is coming. We have 2 McDonald’s All-Americans coming to Alabama in one recruiting class. If Kobe Brown comes, Alabama will be really good next year. We need an elite pg, but I bet we will pick that up in the portal. There is a lot to be happy about for next year.

The PG is in the picture and Miller will potentially run some point as well at 6’9”. They will bring in a true backup pg bc you have to have one, but they believe bradley will be great next year. He hangs his hat on defense and distributing the ball. True PG mentality. I don’t expect great scoring numbers but a guy that makes others better around him

Reactions: pfaud001
That's an assumption on your behalf...and you know what happens when you make an assumption. It makes an azz-outta-u!
a). The only easy day was yesterday (equates to living on past accomplishments).
RTR!!!!!
Nobody is accepting mediocrity. That includes oats who is working his ass off to put a better product on the floor next year.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
Question????????
Do any of you think this year's Bama basketball team basically had the same chemistry off the court as they had on the court together?

Question????????
Do any of you think this year's Bama basketball team basically had the same chemistry off the court as they had on the court together?
What I was told… and I know GOAT loves these posts… is this team had several really unique personalities that didn’t quite mesh. But that wasn’t necessarily among the core of the team, more the outer core of that makes sense. The players truly care and wanted to perform well and win, but just lacked a leader and that mental edge when games got tough. Confidence was just severely damaged in the month following the Houston game and mentally it was just down hill from there. Was told there were definitely too many guys worried about their next step instead of being solely focused on this team, which is something we see every few years on our football team. But It wasn’t a situation where we had cancers, just an odd set of personalities and focus and it just didn’t all mix perfectly like you need. The players genuinely loved each other and cared about winning, they just weren’t the most mature group.

RTR!!!!!
Not an assumption at all. A conclusion based on things you have said about oats in this thread and others. Coach K had a losing record his first 6 seasons at Duke. You’re already talking about “neutering” a dude who has won 2 conference championships and has gone to 2 tournaments as a good seed in 3 years.

The main objective year 1 was to establish his system so he could recruit to it. On court success was an added bonus. You have to establish who you are early on bc players need to see what you are not just be told “if you come here we’ll use you unlike anyone else we’ve had.” For instance they see Brandon Miller doing a lot of what herb did offensively and that is a major reason he chose Bama. Oats first full recruiting class since year 1 is a homerun and his style is very attractive to guys in the portal.

I just believe in what he’s doing overall despite some growing pains and areas of improvement for a young coach.
I get it that he wanted to showcase what his style of play is going to be and I agree with it. But the Florida game is one that comes to mind first. Had like a 20 point lead in the second half and lost it. Bama was only playing 7 players in the game and despite their legs obviously getting heavy, they kept shooting 3s.

There were several games like that, at some point I wanted him to at least adjust and give those players a chance to win. Guys who were seniors on that team worked hard to win.

Reactions: BeastofBourbon
I get it that he wanted to showcase what his style of play is going to be and I agree with it. But the Florida game is one that comes to mind first. Had like a 20 point lead in the second half and lost it. Bama was only playing 7 players in the game and despite their legs obviously getting heavy, they kept shooting 3s.

There were several games like that, at some point I wanted him to at least adjust and give those players a chance to win. Guys who were seniors on that team worked hard to win.
I will never forget the pain of that Florida game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT