ADVERTISEMENT

John Petty

Petty got the hard hat award after the game yesterday. Alabama doesn’t need Petty to win games, but when he is on they are a top 3 team in the country.
We may not need him to win against Iona, but if we want to make a deep run (and maybe even win it all) we gotta get something from him on offense. Not beating the top teams with him being this off

Petty has never been a good ball handler or passer. So I don’t expect that from him. Right now, he’s not shooting the 3 well, so it makes it really difficult for him on offense. But he plays hard. He defends and rebounds. He does the things people use to drill him for not doing.

Personally, NOT confused it appeared to me that he got kicked in the heel by the guy chasing him... and the resultant no foul call is what upset him.

Take a look @ about 17:15 [2nd half]
The only game I saw fewer calls being made against the other team was the Arky game ...

Sec champ game they let them play like WWF on both ends

All this lamenting over JP's play, and the dude still almost manufactured a double-double with a poor offensive performance.

But, yeah, let's sit him.

I was thinking the same thing...but more importantly, in the draft would you draft Petty or 58 year old Michael Jordan?

Petty has never been a good ball handler or passer. So I don’t expect that from him. Right now, he’s not shooting the 3 well, so it makes it really difficult for him on offense. But he plays hard. He defends and rebounds. He does the things people use to drill him for not doing.
He’s weirdly a phenomenal and awful passer at the same time. He occasionally makes a couple amazing and crisp passes that no one else on our team can make, then promptly turns it over three times in a row.

Petty has never been a consistent player at any point in his entire career. It’s been the exact same story for four years. He’ll shoot well and help us to a big win about 15% of big games but he’s non existent in the rest. We should have an upgrade at his spot next year.

Petty has never been a consistent player at any point in his entire career. It’s been the exact same story for four years. He’ll shoot well and help us to a big win about 15% of big games but he’s non existent in the rest. We should have an upgrade at his spot next year.
You're right, he's not consistent. But he's not even close to the exact same player he was a couple years ago. He wants to win and he's willing to do things aside from try to score now. He's become a really good defender and he rebounds. He didn't do those things a couple years ago. He's a much better player now. He's just in a slump right now. I don't think he will ever be a good ball handler or decision maker.

I think he needs to just not over think it. Nate Oats should have him watch happy Gilmore today.
giphy.gif

One thing this season has taught me and I understand probably the reason why. We haven't been that consistent in basketball so a lot of our fans probably tuned the program out. I've come to realize we have the lowest basketball IQ fans in the history of basketball. I honestly seen some fans on the board saying bench the most prolific 3 point shooter in the history of Bama basketball cause he was in a shooting slump. Weird times we live in???

If Petty stays hot and Reese keeps coming up with these big shots, Bama can make a run to the final four with a chance to win. Shack, JQ, Ellis, Gary, Primo and Herb are playing very good ball right now.
This game Bama just dropped on Maryland is Championship style play.

Reactions: pfaud001 and bama42
Petty is more of a rhythm shooter and JQ punched it to him a couple of times where Petty was ready, in rhythm and it was more a drill than a game shot.

When Petty hurries his shot, or goes too mental like he has done lately, then he gets out of sort with his footwork, body lean and that's when irregular bricks go toward the basket.

Reactions: oslim
One thing this season has taught me and I understand probably the reason why. We haven't been that consistent in basketball so a lot of our fans probably tuned the program out. I've come to realize we have the lowest basketball IQ fans in the history of basketball. I honestly seen some fans on the board saying bench the most prolific 3 point shooter in the history of Bama basketball cause he was in a shooting slump. Weird times we live in???
plus many want to bench the SEC olayer of the yeat,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT