ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Primo....

T_WIGS

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2007
Right now all odds point to him being a lock for the first part of the second round. Could a team pop up and grab him late late first round. Possibly. He has a big decision to make. The money difference between next year being a lottery could very well keep him at Alabama another year. He was a lock to come back but has blossomed with the scouts. Its a tough call right now on him. He is constantly communicating with the staff and Oats knows this could go either way.

Right now all odds point to him being a lock for the first part of the second round. Could a team pop up and grab him late late first round. Possibly. He has a big decision to make. The money difference between next year being a lottery could very well keep him at Alabama another year. He was a lock to come back but has blossomed with the scouts. Its a tough call right now on him. He is constantly communicating with the staff and Oats knows this could go either way.
with primo he has alot to think about. with shack it dont look like his heart is in it. maybe it will all work out in a couple of weeks.

Care to elaborate? His heart isn't in going to the NBA or staying at Bama?
he just dont seem to be in a hurry to get back with his team. i hope he comes back with the right attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: frazor
he just dont seem to be in a hurry to get back with his team. i hope he comes back wirh the right attitude.
He has until July 19th to remove his name from the draft, we will surely know then and his attitude will be good.

Reactions: bet9
What is the money difference between the late first round and the early second round?
it varies. i would think he would get a good promised deal if he stays in the draft. if he stays in the draft that should mean his agents have done their job and should mean he got good feedback.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between #26 and Lottery pick. The difference in pay between the 14th pick and the 26 pick is about $1.4 million, per year. A first round pick is guaranteed two years. If he is drafte #26 as Harper has indicated, he would lose about 40% per the rookie scale. An agent cannot really get the player that much more money, but he can find out here the player is going. Number 14 gets $9,370,600 million over three years. The number 26 pick gets $5,504.00 over the first three years, so if he makes a mistake it cost him $4.0 million. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2022 Of course he would get to year four of the contract one year faster. It should be noticed that second round players have no guarantee, so if he fell four spots there would be a huge loss. By the way ESPN is usually close on the NBA draft.

It is a heck of a gamble. If he comes back there is no guarantee that he advances to the lottery. He would not even be the most likely lottery pick on Bama's team. The difference is that he stays in the draft he probably gets Business wise I come back. Of course if he falls three places, he made the biggest mistake he will ever make. Heck of a problem for a young man to face.

Last edited:
shack must be worried about playing time. if he is coming back he has to announce it in the next 2 days.
Who is he losing minutes to? Got to believe JD and Q will get all of the PG minutes with Q playing some at the 2. I didn't see enough last year from Ellis to say he will produce better than Shack. Oh and main contributors Petty and Jones are no more with Primos likely joining them. Is a transfer who quit after 4 games last season really going to come in and cut his minutes that badly?

Reactions: Codie B
Who is he losing minutes to? Got to believe JD and Q will get all of the PG minutes with Q playing some at the 2. I didn't see enough last year from Ellis to say he will produce better than Shack. Oh and main contributors Petty and Jones are no more with Primos likely joining them. Is a transfer who quit after 4 games last season really going to come in and cut his minutes that badly?
from practice reports, burnett will see alot of playing time.

Huge loss for us. Can’t fault anyone for going pro when they’re projected in the first
I somewhat agree, but in Primo case he should come back if he is considered a bottom of the first round. I think he has the potential to be a top half, if not lottery, type of player.

Remember the NBA Draft is only 2 rounds, getting drafted in the bottom of the 1st is much closer to being a 3rd-4th round type of pick in the NFL than it is to being a 1st round pick. Maybe 2nd-3rd round pick but the point is it isn't apples to apple. We are such big football fans that we are conditioned to thing in terms of the NFL.

It's a difficult decision to make no matter what, but being at the bottom of the 1sr risks the chance of falling out of the first and that would be tough to swallow. That's a big drop in money and security, many 2nd round guys don't make the roster.

I think the salary for a second round pick in the draft is $892,000. In year three he would get $1.600,000, so the difference between the 35th pick and the 26th pick is about $2,000,000 over three years, bu tit should be noted that a second round pick is not guaranteed year two. If he went in the second round and projects as a lottery next year, he would lose about $6,000,000 over three years. Like I said on a previous line it is a big business gamble.

ESPN is usually getting their information from GM's and there are a lot of factors still out there, including who withdraws and what about unknow European players that might sneak in.

If the team desires they will/can guarantee the 2nd year of a round two pick. Salary is not limited to rookie scale either.

Even if picked in the 2nd round, Primo can develop while he is getting paid and go to his 2nd contract before he's 21 years of age.

Reactions: rolltizzy05
I think he ends up being a borderline lottery pick
giphy.gif

No really, congrats to him. I hate it that I am always right :D

Yea/ that 8 points per game certainly warrants that high of a pick. Will say it again/ NBA has officially ruined college basketball.
Gerald Wallace didn’t start and got picked last in the first round. He had a long career in the NBA.

The standard to make an NBA roster has never been this ridiculous.

You are talking about 2 vastly different things. The nba drafts on potential, but go take a look at a few years worth of draft classes and see how many have actually made rosters. It is incredibly difficult to make an nba roster. Second round picks don't even get a guaranteed contract

Reactions: jjerry
Gerald Wallace didn’t start and got picked last in the first round. He had a long career in the NBA.

Patrick Williams went 4th to Chicago after starting zero games his only year at FSU. He's doing fine and is considered untouchable by the Bulls.
It's clear that poster doesn't know anything about professional sport but comments on it a lot. I am sure he was in the group of posters who said Hump wasn't ready for the NFL...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT