ADVERTISEMENT

JQ

I never figured out what happened to the JQ that played in the 2nd half of the season before last? That JQ was a great shooter and overall player, I can’t understand how he regressed that much, even before the injury.

Reactions: mbbama
JQ just needs to change his game up when playing against a team with length, and solid defense. He can’t go weak to the rim, and lob passes across the court through defenders against elite teams. If he fixes those two things, he’ll be special.

Reactions: xcop and pfaud001
Sometimes. Sometimes he makes the most incredible passes. Others, he presses and really struggles. I want him to do well, and I am not giving up on him.
IMO sometimes he tries to dish those incredible passes to someone that struggles with a regular chest high pass and it looks ugly when it isn't caught. He's still probably only 90% back right now so I'm curious if he is able to get that extra little bit of quickness back that isn't there all the time and do it before March. I think he needs to find his 3 point shot again to really open up his game. Otherwise teams expect him to drive to layup or dish so they're already ahead of him before he moves.

IMO sometimes he tries to dish those incredible passes to someone that struggles with a regular chest high pass and it looks ugly when it isn't caught. He's still probably only 90% back right now so I'm curious if he is able to get that extra little bit of quickness back that isn't there all the time and do it before March. I think he needs to find his 3 point shot again to really open up his game. Otherwise teams expect him to drive to layup or dish so they're already ahead of him before he moves.
He looks pretty quick to me, but he should get quicker as he gets further from his injury. Still amazed he looks this quick this soon. You are correct about his shot. When he had that shot working the 2nd half of the season before last, he was a fantastic BB player. He has tried to do too much this year, forcing the action, and it has created turnovers, but if he got that shot working again, it would open up his whole game with his quickness.

I wanted him out today as soon as he went in. That game just isn’t fit for him. Houston is athletic as crap so that takes away JQ’s advantage over some. Then add their physicality and he doesn’t have much of that and it’s just a tough deal. Gotta put some blame on Oats. He lets JQ come in and dribble around like he’s playing 1 on 5 and try to find himself a shot regardless of what’s going on. Right now, he’s just looking for a shot and that’s it. And everybody has to watch him dribble around before he takes off into traffic.

Last Summer it was reported JQ would not be back until conference play started. He worked extremely hard in his rehab and got back early. He may be trying alittle to hard and l still think he will gain more quickness as time goes on.

My hat is off to the kid for his hard work and l believe he will be very important to this team before the season is over.

I wanted him out today as soon as he went in. That game just isn’t fit for him. Houston is athletic as crap so that takes away JQ’s advantage over some. Then add their physicality and he doesn’t have much of that and it’s just a tough deal. Gotta put some blame on Oats. He lets JQ come in and dribble around like he’s playing 1 on 5 and try to find himself a shot regardless of what’s going on. Right now, he’s just looking for a shot and that’s it. And everybody has to watch him dribble around before he takes off into traffic.
I’d say put all the blame on oats. He should’ve been fired before getting on the plane to come home.

That was then, this is now. He’s healthy or he wouldn’t be playing at all. Healthy or not, you don’t have to drive into traffic and force things 1 on 1 every time you touch it.
He had a horrible game… no question. Really bad in every facet. But your point about his skill set not being a good matchup against them is just incorrect. As evidenced above.

Hopefully JQ being on the bench to close that game is a good learning experience for him. He needs to realize his new role with all of this talent isn't ISO ball. Get others involved as this is the best shooting team we've had in awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT