ADVERTISEMENT

Know the foe: Can Louisville challenge Alabama?

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
a1w4ijwpjgopkflfgkjs

BamaInsider.com team writer Tony Tsoukalas asked five key questions about the Louisville Cardinals heading into Saturday's season-opener, and CardinalSports.com's Chris Person answered them.

Will Louisville’s offense still be potent without Lamar Jackson at quarterback?

Lamar Jackson was an exceptional talent that single-handedly won Louisville numerous games during his time here. With that being said, Lamar Jackson’s unique athleticism also had some drawbacks. First and foremost, having Jackson at quarterback took Bobby Petrino away from his traditional offense that relies heavily on running backs. It also put the offensive line in a situation that could make it quite difficult to block considering at any given time, Jackson could be off to the races. I think because of these factors, Louisville’s offense will not see much of a drop off if any. Jawon “Puma” Pass appears to be a very talented passer, there are a stable of capable backs, and the line and receiving groups are two of the most talented and experienced units on the team.

Vegas has Alabama by more than three touchdowns. Is that too high?

Vegas normally has a pretty good pulse on things so it’s hard to argue too much with the line, but I think there is some inflation from Lamar no longer being Louisville’s starting quarterback. Alabama is undoubtedly the favorite in this game, but I think many nationally see this game as the national champions vs. a Lamar-less team. The fact of the matter is that Alabama does have some question marks to address and Louisville has what appears to be a very capable QB in Pass, so with that said I do think that the odds in Bama’s favor are a little too high at the moment.

Which Alabama quarterback is more of a threat to Louisville’s defense and why?

I think Tua is the bigger threat to Louisville’s defense, although both will pose unique challenges. Louisville has a pair of transfers at corner who are inexperienced but talented. If Jalen was to be the starting quarterback I think Louisville would be more apt to put the corners out with limited help over the top, bringing extra guys into the box to help counter Alabama’s run game. If Tua is the starter I don’t think Louisville would be able to do this as much and therefore, open up more holes in the run game.

Who’s a Louisville player Alabama fans might not know about but should?

I think offensively, the guy to know would be offensive tackle Mekhi Becton. As a freshman in 2017, Becton started from day one and was likely Louisville’s best offensive lineman. Did I mention he is 6-foot-7, 340 pounds? On defense, there are a couple: LB Dorian Etheridge who led the team in tackles as a freshman with 83 and Oklahoma transfer PJ Mbanasor. At 6-foot-1 200 pounds, Mbanasor is an athletic and very physical corner that has been impressive taking over for Jaire Alexander.

How healthy is Louisville from an injury standpoint heading into the game?

Bobby Petrino is normally very tight-lipped about injuries but it appears that the only significant injury right now is RB/FB Tobias Little who is out for the year after a knee injury in fall camp. WR Jaylen Smith returned to practice on the 22nd following surgery to have his appendix taken out and should be full go on September 1st. Safety and former 4-star recruit TreSean Smith who had a very promising freshman season is coming back from a serious knee injury in Louisville’s bowl game but has been practicing and looks to be ready as well for game 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News