ADVERTISEMENT

l Think Coach Oates Was Surprised and Blind-Sided by Bediako Not Coming Back

lainey2020

All American
Gold Member
May 15, 2022
l'm not being critical because it shocked me too. l think it surprised most of this board.

This is a big blow to our team for next year. Pringle is 6'9'', but can jump out of the gym. He is a good player, but we have absolutely no bigs behind him. He has a tendency to get in foul trouble. Last year we had Clowney and even Miller who could guard an opposing center if necessary. This year as things stand we have 1 center and 0 true power forwards.

Mighty late to be searching the portal, but we gonna have to find some help somewhere.

Pringle hasn’t had the playing time to develop. He was unhappy this year because of this and I’m surprised he didn’t hit the portal. Maybe they can develop him to stay out of foul trouble.

Reactions: bet9 and xcop
I don’t get the being shocked by a guy that’s entered the draft and went through all he did. At some point you have to think, he’s serious about this or he’d be back on campus with us. I know I sure thought it when the reports kept coming of him playing well.

Reactions: xcop
I don’t get the being shocked by a guy that’s entered the draft and went through all he did. At some point you have to think, he’s serious about this or he’d be back on campus with us. I know I sure thought it when the reports kept coming of him playing well.
People are surprised because it is very common in basketball to go workout for teams, get feedback on what to work on, and get your name out there, and then come back to school. Especially players like Chuck who aren’t a lock to get drafted. Players do it every year.

I’m not “shocked” but I’m surprised. But at the same time Chuck is a good player so it’s not unbelievable as some insinuate.

Reactions: pfaud001 and bet9
How do you make that adjustment with a team full of guards? If (actually when) Pringle gets in foul trouble, there is no shot-blocker, no rebounder, no inside presence to take his place.
Guards did most of the rebounding this year.

People are surprised because it is very common in basketball to go workout for teams, get feedback on what to work on, and get your name out there, and then come back to school. Especially players like Chuck who aren’t a lock to get drafted. Players do it every year.

I’m not “shocked” but I’m surprised. But at the same time Chuck is a good player so it’s not unbelievable as some insinuate.
All reports have been that he’s played well and his stock has gone up.

Reactions: bet9
How do you make that adjustment with a team full of guards? If (actually when) Pringle gets in foul trouble, there is no shot-blocker, no rebounder, no inside presence to take his place.
At present time there is also no point guard.

Reactions: Codie B
While rebounding will still be an issue the main concern will be overall defense. With Miller, Bediako, and Clowney on the court there was absolutely no space to put the ball up in the air. Huge difference with all 3 of those guys gone.
This is my point exactly. At present time we have 1 center and no power forwards. Gotta have somebody to guard a big center that can score.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
Dontae Hall wasn't bad. l would have loved to have seen him in Oates system.
Leon Douglas, Mule King , Richard Hendrix etc weren't good big men
I would love to have JaMychal Green again. Douglas and Mule were before my time, but McKey and McDyess were the two best big men I can remember. I think David Benoit would fit really well in CNO’s offense.

l'm not being critical because it shocked me too. l think it surprised most of this board.
I am being critical. I was watching some of last season's highlight videos on YouTube and Bediako has no business staying in the draft. He is no where near ready for the NBA and probably not even the G-league. He was definitely an improved player last season but pretty much all he brought to the table was rim protection.

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
While rebounding will still be an issue the main concern will be overall defense. With Miller, Bediako, and Clowney on the court there was absolutely no space to put the ball up in the air. Huge difference with all 3 of those guys gone.
Exactly

Reactions: lainey2020
I am being critical. I was watching some of last season's highlight videos on YouTube and Bediako has no business staying in the draft. He is no where near ready for the NBA and probably not even the G-league. He was definitely an improved player last season but pretty much all he brought to the table was rim protection.
Agree 100%. His game just doesn’t fit the current climate of NBA basketball. I’ve seen improvements his last 2 years but he’s not close to being ready for NBA. He needs to develop a mid range shot and to be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Bediako make a basket outside the restricted circle last year. Oats system could help him but he has to develop multiple aspects to his game before being ready. Wish him the best wherever he plays overseas

Reactions: vegas man and bet9
l agree with everything you said, but l would have damn sure loved to have had him back. l think it is possible he could have improved his stock a little bit anyway and got a diploma. Would have been better for him and for Bama Basketball.

l wish him luck, but at this time l don't believe he has a future in the NBA.

I haven't said anything because I'm being very trusting right now. I keep coming here and seeing we got nobody and think...Oats is up to something, he has a plan.
He Has shown that he comes thru the last couple of years and I expect him to again whether he gets another center or not. If he can coach like we think he can we will have a good team with what we have .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT