ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about board moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_Jones

All American
Aug 4, 2011
Mostly Tuscaloosa, Ala.
You guys know that we generally don't like to have big discussions about board moderation on here. But every once in a while, I think it's important to open the floor up for a conversation about stuff like this. So consider today to be TideSports' annual Purge (sarcasm).

Let's talk. But before we get into it, please read this entire post. There's some important stuff here.

@tommydeas and @thatbamagrad should be around to answer questions if you have them. I won't be at my computer all day, but will check here as often as I can. Late this afternoon or early this evening, I'm going to lock this thread down to end the discussion. I don't want this to drag on for a week, and it's not fair to mods to have to be glued to the computer for hours on end addressing everything. We want you to contribute, but we don't want this topic to dominate the board for an indeterminate period. This is still a place to talk about sports.

1. Board rules are still in effect. Don't break them. Don't attack other posters. Don't call other people out. That's not what this is for.

2. Some general stuff. Are we doing a good job of modding Talk of Champions?
  • Do you think the board is generally better off or worse off or about the same as it was about a year ago, or since July?
  • Are we generally too strict or too lenient with moderation? Would you like to see us monitor things more closely, or let conversations go past the point where we usually step in as of now? Are we doing a great job, good job, OK job, poor job?
  • More specifically, are we too quick or too slow to ban posters? Would you rather see us delete more posts and give more warnings with fewer suspensions/bans?
3. How is the general tone of the board for you? Too confrontational? Too sensitive? About right?

4. How would you all feel about bringing on a couple more posters to help the staff here with moderation? This would give us more time to write and work on hopefully building a better site instead of playing traffic cop on some days. There's also just no way for the staff to see everything posted on the boards, so we rely on you guys to bring stuff to our attention by using the "report" button if you think something is breaking the rules.
  • Do you like having the staff handle most of the moderation, or would you like it to be more in the hands of some of your peers?
  • If you like the idea of adding some posters to handle some modding, who would you nominate?
5. Anything not currently listed in the board rules that you think should be added?

6. I'd rather avoid talking about individual suspensions or discipline, so if you have a question, try to pose it as a hypothetical or a general question. But if you bring up your own suspension, that's fair game in my book. If you ask "Why did I get suspended for XYZ?" I'll answer.

Other than that, if you have any other questions that you'd like to have answered (For example: How do you handle it when ABC happens?) you can ask those here and at least one of us will try and answer.

Conversations like this can lead to groupthink and can escalate quickly, so let's try to keep things civil here. If 12 of you tell us in a row that we need to suspend more posters, we'll consider that, but we also want you all to realize that there are literally thousands of readers on the site, so 12 posters is a pretty small group. We want you to have a voice here, and we'll be as fair as we can be, but we need you all to be fair with us, too.

So that's that. Let's do this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News