ADVERTISEMENT

lot of talk about the roster

mr4bama

All American
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
dont know what to belive. we may get to keep 14. there is a chance in wilson recommitting. somebody else might be leaving. who knows but i think we are pretty set on the first 9 or 10 that will be playing.

I hate seeing these kinds of things. I know it's a great problem to have all these great players wanting to play for you, it definitely beats the opposite that we have all seen. But I don't want this to become a yearly thing where players are asked to leave to make room for someone that is perceived to be better.

I hate seeing these kinds of things. I know it's a great problem to have all these great players wanting to play for you, it definitely beats the opposite that we have all seen. But I don't want this to become a yearly thing where players are asked to leave to make room for someone that is perceived to be better.
college bball needs to do something about that.

Reactions: budog
For me, if you pursue a kid and he commits and signs, you should not push the kid out even if a better prospect comes along. I want Bama to win and get the best team possible, but not at the expense of forcing out someone you had already signed. Maybe its just me though.

I spoke to Langston today. He did not want to exit his spot on Bama's roster. I really hated hearing that.
I like CNO, but if he forced a kid out after he was committed and signed that is total B.S. I respect a coach talking to a player after he's been in your system for a while and explaining to him he's not a good fit. But offering a kid and getting him committed and signed is some bullshit. I lost a lot of respect for Nate Oats and our staff if this is true.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
For me, if you pursue a kid and he commits and signs, you should not push the kid out even if a better prospect comes along. I want Bama to win and get the best team possible, but not at the expense of forcing out someone you had already signed. Maybe its just me though.
100 percent correct, I don't care if Michael Jordan wanted to come. After you commit to a kid and get him signed you do not ask him to leave before he gets on campus. Really lost all respect for our coaching staff. I'm the biggest Alabama basketball fan there is, but CNO needs to address this situation. He looks like a total asshole if this is true. Winning isn't everything if your word aight worth shit. Sorry for the language but this really pisses me off😒😒😒

I like CNO, but if he forced a kid out after he was committed and signed that is total B.S. I respect a coach talking to a player after he's been in your system for a while and explaining to him he's not a good fit. But offering a kid and getting him committed and signed is some bullshit. I lost a lot of respect for Nate Oats and our staff if this is true.
I pretty much feel the same way; it's bush league IMO and has a “win at all cost” feel to it.

But get ready to be attacked by the “its big boy basketball“ crowd who will want to justify this in some way.

100 percent correct, I don't care if Michael Jordan wanted to come. After you commit to a kid and get him signed you do not ask him to leave before he gets on campus. Really lost all respect for our coaching staff. I'm the biggest Alabama basketball fan there is, but CNO needs to address this situation. He looks like a total asshole if this is true. Winning isn't everything if your word aight worth shit. Sorry for the language but this really pisses me off😒😒😒

Put your money where your mouth is and don’t root for Alabama basketball or watch any games. I feel bad for the kid, but if you’re this pissed off about it, don’t be a hypocrite.

Reactions: onebamamaniax
We all heard the same types of comments about Coach Saban, particularly early on. Now, after all the championships, we don't hear that talk so much any more. And I am not saying that I disagree with you either.

I pretty much feel the same way; it's bush league IMO and has a “win at all cost” feel to it.

But get ready to be attacked by the “its big boy basketball“ crowd who will want to justify this in some way.
I'm not part of the "it's big boy basketball" crowd, but I'm part of the commitment goes both ways crowd. If you want to prevent stuff like this from happening, than get rid of the transfer portal and hold players accountable for commitments to the schools where they sign.

The harsh reality is that Division 1 college athletics is big business and not really amateur sports. Just like the business world if an employer finds a better option they'll can you at any point to go with another candidate.

If these kids want to be paid like professionals, then they will get treated like professionals.
In the Pros, you can be cut overnight with no explanation. Next morning you find yourself unemployed

Reactions: ccintn
Wanting to be paid like professionals and being paid are two different things. Yes, if they were being paid it is much easier to “let them go”. They are not being paid (well, legally :)

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
I'm not part of the "it's big boy basketball" crowd, but I'm part of the commitment goes both ways crowd. If you want to prevent stuff like this from happening, than get rid of the transfer portal and hold players accountable for commitments to the schools where they sign.

The harsh reality is that Division 1 college athletics is big business and not really amateur sports. Just like the business world if an employer finds a better option they'll can you at any point to go with another candidate.
You do know the transfer portal is a relatively new concept. I know players have been able to transfer before, but it wasn't prevalent.

Coaches have been forcing players to leave for a hell of a lot longer than the transfer portal has been around. For a very long time, the talking point has been that a scholarship is a one-year contract that has to be renewed each year. The school holds the option not to renew that contract for whatever the reason they wanted.

So I keep saying, since it's such big business, pay the players accordingly.

Wish him the best wherever he lands. Sadly it goes both ways but always hate to see a kid who's committed to us then lose an opportunity through no fault of his own. Agree we don't know all the details and maybe we get him back in the mix? Kind of reminds me of Juarez Parks on signing day when he was ready to announce and then devastated when we no longer had a spot. Worked out okay in the end for him but felt real bad for him too.

Wanting to be paid like professionals and being paid are two different things. Yes, if they were being paid it is much easier to “let them go”. They are not being paid (well, legally :)
This ^^^
Being paid is still a "pipe-dream." Being allegedly pushed out after being promised an opportunity to play is reality.

Playing players is a monumental mistake. Pandora’s box will open and the corruption will escalate beyond comprehension.
I will repeat- players are not employees of the university. They are STUDENTS .
Entire concept is RIDICULOUS. Flame away.

Playing players is a monumental mistake. Pandora’s box will open and the corruption will escalate beyond comprehension.
I will repeat- players are not employees of the university. They are STUDENTS .
Entire concept is RIDICULOUS. Flame away.
That's why the NIL is passing,

as athletes are NOT employees, the Universities will not be paying them any $$,

as any $$ will be received by the athlete from their NIL usage rights

That's why the NIL is passing,

as athletes are NOT employees, the Universities will not be paying them any $$,

as any $$ will be received by the athlete from their NIL usage rights
But money will be “ filtered” through university Boosters as an even greater rate than today for those “ elite”‘prospects. So indirectly it will come from the University.

But money will be “ filtered” through university Boosters as an even greater rate than today for those “ elite”‘prospects. So indirectly it will come from the University.
True. NIL will benefit lesser known Home Town Heroes... where homefolk can pay an athlete as well, not big $$ but they will get some as well

If these kids want to be paid like professionals, then they will get treated like professionals.
In the Pros, you can be cut overnight with no explanation. Next morning you find yourself unemployed
They are not getting paid, never have, and yet this is an issue that has come up over and over again.

Players have been getting “cut” for a long, long time, while making many people millionaires.

So until players do get paid, schools that do things like this should be punished. I guarantee that had he just wanted to leave on his own after signing; he would have had to give up a kidney to get out of his scholarship obligation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT