ADVERTISEMENT

maryland

mr4bama

All American
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
is getting ready to make a run at bruce pearl. he makes about 4 million a year at auburn so wonder what it will take to get him to make the move. if that happens tt might set auburn back a few years.

Reactions: bet9
Not hardly. The boogs can’t hold a candle to Maryland when it comes to basketball tradition. They and Ole Miss are historically the bottom two SEC basketball programs. It would be a big step up IMO.
Can't argue with that. Pearl seems like a guy who has always embraced his school's athletic programs having success so not sure if he hates being in football's shadow or not. Outside of that being an issue or Maryland throwing large amounts of money at him I just don't know what he can do there in 3 years that he can't currently do at AU every year.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
Can't argue with that. Pearl seems like a guy who has always embraced his school's athletic programs having success so not sure if he hates being in football's shadow or not. Outside of that being an issue or Maryland throwing large amounts of money at him I just don't know what he can do there in 3 years that he can't currently do at AU every year.
Mo $$$ and less competition from football. Bad news is he will have to do battle in the ACC.

Maryland is in the Big 10 now. I’m still having a hard time with that as well. Just doesn’t seem right.
Me too. If it wasn’t for my 7 year old knowing who’s in every conference and correcting me, I’d never remember the changes.

What's the matter with you?
Sorry guys I just don't see why folks think in 2021 Maryland has this grand allure that would pull a top 15 coach away from his proven program. If there is something internal that is one thing but if we are leaving based on history and living in the shadows of football then Oats has to be considered as well right?

is getting ready to make a run at bruce pearl. he makes about 4 million a year at auburn so wonder what it will take to get him to make the move. if that happens tt might set auburn back a few years.
Maryland is by far a better program, but zero chance Bruce leaves Auburn. They have stuck by his side in all of this and I think he feels a sense of loyalty to them for doing what no one else would have.

Reactions: mowens75
No. That wouldn’t even be a lateral move. It would be a step down.
No it would be a step up. Just because Bama is in a better position currently due to Oats, Maryland is easily the better program. This would be somewhat similar to when Bama was down in football but a program like Baylor had it going. Any coach would leave Baylor if Bama called even if Bama was coming off a decade of being down...

No it would be a step up. Just because Bama is in a better position currently due to Oats, Maryland is easily the better program. This would be somewhat similar to when Bama was down in football but a program like Baylor had it going. Any coach would leave Baylor if Bama called even if Bama was coming off a decade of being down...
You are wrong here. Entering this season, Alabama had 1,719 wins and Maryland had 1,604. Maryland isn’t even in the top 50 in NCAA history in all time wins.

You are wrong here. Entering this season, Alabama had 1,719 wins and Maryland had 1,604. Maryland isn’t even in the top 50 in NCAA history in all time wins.
Now do tourney wins, Sweet 16 appearances, Elite 8, and Final Four. Not all conferences are created equal and the ACC has always been a far more difficult conference than the SEC in basketball. They may not be in the top 50 in terms of win but I highly doubt you will find many lists that doesn't have Maryland in or near the top 25 all-time....

Few programs have the history and tradition of Maryland. Turgeron had them an elite upper tier Big 10 program but he couldn't get them over the hump. That job is a gold mine for the right coach who is a master of the modern game

Maryland definitely has a great history even if they're decent/mediocre currently. I do feel Bama doesn't get the credit we deserve though. We just took a break the last 25 years lol sans a couple of years. The excitement is palpable here though and the national heads are eating it up and really talking us up.

Reactions: Namron711
Maryland definitely has a great history even if they're decent/mediocre currently. I do feel Bama doesn't get the credit we deserve though. We just took a break the last 25 years lol sans a couple of years. The excitement is palpable here though and the national heads are eating it up and really talking us up.
Oats has taken us to a level we haven't seen since the late 80s and is on a trajectory to even surpass that. He has combined his understanding of what it takes to win in today's game, an ability to identify players who are ready now and others he feels will develop with his ability to develop players. He is the real deal.

Reactions: kansas77
Sorry guys I just don't see why folks think in 2021 Maryland has this grand allure that would pull a top 15 coach away from his proven program. If there is something internal that is one thing but if we are leaving based on history and living in the shadows of football then Oats has to be considered as well right?
He's not leaving. Pearl has a history of it... willingly or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT