ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-range

MC3242

All State
Jan 7, 2014
It is nice to see players hit the mid-range shot when they are run off the three point line. UNC very effective and proficient at hitting the mid-range. I hope Oats is watching so when teams run us off the three point line, we have a different plan.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
It is nice to see players hit the mid-range shot when they are run off the three point line. UNC very effective and proficient at hitting the mid-range. I hope Oats is watching so when teams run us off the three point line, we have a different plan.
We actually ran more mid-range shots than the top four teams that we played. I prefer shooting them off rebounds, not as a set play.

Reactions: bet9
Problem this season was defense and turnovers. We were a top 20 team in offensive scoring and efficiency.

We actually ran more mid-range shots than the top four teams that we played. I prefer shooting them off rebounds, not as a set play.
That’s a big negative. We shoot the mid range less than almost every other team in the world.

I’d like to see us shoot it slightly more often from midrange. The pull up 15 footer is a thing of beauty when a guy gets hot
from there like RJ Davis from NC can do. I don’t however think shooting more mid range is like a magic wand to better offense. It’s simply not a high percentage shot and when a guy falls in love with it he can shoot you right out of a game. I know this can happen from 3 as well but a similar percentage from 3 = more points obviously.

like I said, I’m not an anti mid ranger. I am an anti pass up a good look from 3 to shoot a pull up 15 footer though. I would at the same time rather see a pull up 15 footer than taking it all the way to the rim with a 7 footer waiting on you and you’re going to try to do a 360 reverse layup attempt.. sometimes it’s the best shot on a drive and should be taken. I do like that our offense isn’t built to create mid range looks and oats said recently the mid range isn’t forbidden, it’s just not the shots the offense is guilt to create.. I think we have a few guys coming in that will take some mid range shots

Our offense is one of the best in the country at creating good looks believe it or not. Having guys that can knock those down, no matter where you are shooting from, is obviously the ultimate key to offense no matter what the system is

I’d like to see us shoot it slightly more often from midrange. The pull up 15 footer is a thing of beauty when a guy gets hot
from there like RJ Davis from NC can do. I don’t however think shooting more mid range is like a magic wand to better offense. It’s simply not a high percentage shot and when a guy falls in love with it he can shoot you right out of a game. I know this can happen from 3 as well but a similar percentage from 3 = more points obviously.

like I said, I’m not an anti mid ranger. I am an anti pass up a good look from 3 to shoot a pull up 15 footer though. I would at the same time rather see a pull up 15 footer than taking it all the way to the rim with a 7 footer waiting on you and you’re going to try to do a 360 reverse layup attempt.. sometimes it’s the best shot on a drive and should be taken. I do like that our offense isn’t built to create mid range looks and oats said recently the mid range isn’t forbidden, it’s just not the shots the offense is guilt to create.. I think we have a few guys coming in that will take some mid range shots

Our offense is one of the best in the country at creating good looks believe it or not. Having guys that can knock those down, no matter where you are shooting from, is obviously the ultimate key to offense no matter what the system is
I understand he said the shot is not forbidden, but if I recall he structures his scrimmages something like 3 point shots are worth 4 or 5 points. Drives to the basket are worth 3 and 0 or 1 point for mid range shots. That certainly doesn't imply that midrange is a viable option in his offense.

I understand he said the shot is not forbidden, but if I recall he structures his scrimmages something like 3 point shots are worth 4 or 5 points. Drives to the basket are worth 3 and 0 or 1 point for mid range shots. That certainly doesn't imply that midrange is a viable option in his offense.
Oh yea he definitely makes it clear the goal is good lucks at the rim, get to the foul line, and good looks from 3.

Kansas s took 66 shots from the field in the championship game Monday night - 17 3 pointers and 49 2 pointers. That's roughly a 3:1 ratio of 2's to 3's and is much more conducive to success IMO. Conversely, almost 48% of our field goal attempts this past season were 3 pointers (987 out of 2,072).

It was painful watching these good teams play so well.
North Carolina, in the game that sparked this thread shot 33% from the field.

I don’t even completely disagree with the mid range take… I just think we tend to view other teams performance different from our own. We grade our own through a far more critical eye.. We watch NC shoot 33% and say “we should be more like that” but if Bama has that poor of a shooting night we should blow up the system and do what other teams do. That, and I stand strongly by the idea that blaming the offensive system on this seasons issues is simply misplaced blame. Maybe not totally faultless but far from the key issue, which was defense and some issues with lack of focus/energy and just a general lack of team chemistry/leadership for a lot of reasons that do not exclude oats and his role in forming that chemistry/leadership.

Reactions: gip27

I don’t even completely disagree with the mid range take… I just think we tend to view other teams performance different from our own. We grade our own through a far more critical eye.. We watch NC shoot 33% and say “we should be more like that” but if Bama has that poor of a shooting night we should blow up the system and do what other teams do. That, and I stand strongly by the idea that blaming the offensive system on this seasons issues is simply misplaced blame. Maybe not totally faultless but far from the key issue, which was defense and some issues with lack of focus/energy and just a general lack of team chemistry/leadership for a lot of reasons that do not exclude oats and his role in forming that chemistry/leadership.
All I’m saying is, I’d rather take an open midrange shot than a step back off the dribble 3, or a highly contested shot around the basket bc everyone knows when we put it on the floor we are going to the rim 100% of the time.

I played a lot of basketball and I really don’t understand why Bama don’t shoot more 10-15 foot jump shots!?! I know coach likes set shots for 3’s and layups, but, IMO a 10-12 foot jump shot is basically an extended layup for a college basketball player. I never played in college but I was very comfortable shooting those type shots. I’d drive in and shoot jump shots from that range and probably make 50-70% of them. Much better than a contested layup. Or a drive a kick to the corner. Teams have caught on to the drive and kick to the corner. I saw numerous turnovers and deflected balls all year when we did that. I also saw where JQ mentioned all those “middies” teams were taking in the final 4. Seems they like to shoot them too.

Reactions: jtr4dad

So our key issue was defense? We finished 305th in the nation in 3 point shooting, but continued to fire away game after game to the point where 48% of our shots were 3 pointers. I'd say that was a more important factor.

So our key issue was defense? We finished 305th in the nation in 3 point shooting, but continued to fire away game after game to the point where 48% of our shots were 3 pointers. I'd say that was a more important factor.
I mean that’s fine but we sucked on defense. We scored 80 points per game, right on par with last year. We shot 44% from the floor, right on par with last year and on par with some of the best teams in the country. Some of our best 3 point shooting nights were losses. We allowed over 82 ppg in our losses as opposed to 71 ppg in our wins. Etc etc. if we would have been 38% from 3 it would have helped and it would be stupid for me to suggest otherwise, but there are some pretty poor shooting teams that consistently win bc they get after it in defense, force turnovers, control the game, etc etc. Arkansas is a good example. Once they started playing great D their whole season turned, and they amped it up another level in the tournament. we couldn’t do that this year and we could last year and it was the #1 difference imo

All I’m saying is, I’d rather take an open midrange shot than a step back off the dribble 3, or a highly contested shot around the basket bc everyone knows when we put it on the floor we are going to the rim 100% of the time.
I agree that we should, at least, have it in our arsenal enough that the defense needs to respect that we may take that open mid range jumper, vs knowing for a fact that we are going to the rim, or passing it back out. Just enough that they have to respect it as an option.

Reactions: biggoop and jtr4dad

What I don’t get about the people who say the mid-range is not a high percentage shot, is the fact that you’re ok with taking a 3 which is a lower percentage shot.

I’m for you taking open 3s if it’s clear you’re not hitting them. Part of the reason why this team got so many open 3s this year was because team game planned to let them have that shot until Bama could prove they can hit it, they rarely did.

There are many players that are simply better mid-range shooters than they are from 3. You’re completely taking that from their game if you’re not going to emphasize taking YOUR best shot.

On top of that, shooting the mid-range now forces the defenders at the basket to step out a couple steps to defend it instead of sitting at the basket waiting for the drive. They step out, someone cuts behind.

Honestly, these are all things I thought we would eventually start to see once Oats established his system of emphasizing the fast pace and 3 point shooting.

Reactions: biggoop
What I don’t get about the people who say the mid-range is not a high percentage shot, is the fact that you’re ok with taking a 3 which is a lower percentage shot.

I’m for you taking open 3s if it’s clear you’re not hitting them. Part of the reason why this team got so many open 3s this year was because team game planned to let them have that shot until Bama could prove they can hit it, they rarely did.

There are many players that are simply better mid-range shooters than they are from 3. You’re completely taking that from their game if you’re not going to emphasize taking YOUR best shot.

On top of that, shooting the mid-range now forces the defenders at the basket to step out a couple steps to defend it instead of sitting at the basket waiting for the drive. They step out, someone cuts behind.

Honestly, these are all things I thought we would eventually start to see once Oats established his system of emphasizing the fast pace and 3 point shooting.
The analytics would tell you even though the three is a low percentage shot, it’s worth more points. So it outweighs the mid-range (lower percentage) for less points. So your best chance for efficiency is threes and shots at the rim.

I agree the open mid-range is not a terrible shot if it’s from a player who can make it consistently… but most can’t. Even Q who made a Twitter comment about all the mid-range jumpers in the final 4 shot the two point jumper at 28% last season and 30% this season. But a high enough percentage to be freed to take a two point shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT