ADVERTISEMENT

My view on Jalen Hurts

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
Jalen Hurts will be a great QB before he leaves Alabama. We asked to much of Jalen this year, but we did not ask as much from Jalen as Jalen asked from himself. Thank goodness Coach Burns knew what we had in Jalen, because Lane sure did not.

Jalen Hurts is a Freshman and he should have been redshirted this year to learn the system and develop as a QB. Unfortunately we missed on a lot of QB prospects in the recruiting process over the last four years and we did not have a Sophomore, Junior or Senior QB to take the position. Jalen was put in a position that he was not prepared to take, just as Lamar Jackson was at Louisville in 2015. I will bet you that with an off season to work with Coach Sark you will see a totally improved Jalen Hurts next year. Coach Sark has a lot to work with and I mean that in a good way.

Who remembers that we wasted all of that time recruiting Max Brown and David Cornwell, while Auburn and Clemson were recruiting a QB from Gainesville, Georgia. Sweet Lame Kitten wanted those West Coast QB's when better was in his own back yard. Rhett Lashley sure knew about Watson, but Alabama barely looked at him.

Jalen was not the end all be all QB in recruiting last year. I believe he was the seventh rated QB prospect and we settled on him after we lost Jacob Eason. I think we had two OC's in a row that missed on a lot of QB prospects and that is part of the reason we are no longer here. When Lane missed and chose Blake Barnett, Sark was going after a lower rated prospect named Sam Darnold. Whatever happened to Ricky Town? I would also point out that we won a National Title with the seventh rated QB in the State of Texas and the tenth rated QB in the Nation, who was good for two. We got the number one QB in America a few years ago and it was a RB/QB from Georgia that took us to the semi's. We did not offer a QB from Mobile that won us a national title, even though FSU thought he was a good risk.

Maybe just maybe we should blame the evaluators, and I believe Coach Saban has done just that.

Remember one thing. While Lashley was camped out trying to recruit the QB from Gainesville, Georgia, our OC was trying to get a job at the University of Michigan and was counting on David Cornwell. Maybe Gus Bus is not so dumb.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News