ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Approves Transfer Rule

The NCAA's version of "Musical Chairs." When the music stops, God only knows who will be where.

What is the lesson that should be taught? Students should be punished for transferring?
Even though I am only 40 my way of thinking is probably "old manish." I have reservations about these type of things because it is a "bail out" for a poor decision made by somebody who isn't that far away from being their own "man." I would love that every time you make a poor choice in life you get a do over even all the way up until you are 63 years old. Did you fail to save enough for retirement? Guess what the U.S. govt will give you a low interest loan for up to $1,000,000 that gets passed on to somebody else once you die.
Now I realize it isn't that dire but it wasn't that long ago 18-20 year olds had to stand on their own feet and look themselves in the mirror at the end of the day and know that their decisions had an impact on their future. Does anybody expect anything out of someone less than 30 anymore???

Oh and to be clear I don't have a problem with the new rule due to the business that is sports.

Reactions: rollem
Even though I am only 40 my way of thinking is probably "old manish." I have reservations about these type of things because it is a "bail out" for a poor decision made by somebody who isn't that far away from being their own "man." I would love that every time you make a poor choice in life you get a do over even all the way up until you are 63 years old. Did you fail to save enough for retirement? Guess what the U.S. govt will give you a low interest loan for up to $1,000,000 that gets passed on to somebody else once you die.
Now I realize it isn't that dire but it wasn't that long ago 18-20 year olds had to stand on their own feet and look themselves in the mirror at the end of the day and know that their decisions had an impact on their future. Does anybody expect anything out of someone less than 30 anymore???

Do you think only football and basketball players should be punished for deciding they want to transfer? What about non athletes, or athletes playing other sports. I've never heard anyone say that students should be treated better when transferring than athletes should be.

Do you think only football and basketball players should be punished for deciding they want to transfer? What about non athletes, or athletes playing other sports. I've never heard anyone say that students should be treated better when transferring than athletes should be.
Look I am not in favor of anybody being punished. In today's climate I think a kid should be able to make money off of their likeness and that kid's profit shouldn't have to be split up by the school to 27 other programs. I have no problem with a kid swapping schools every semester if that is what they want to do. I do have a problem with every system in the world breaking down so that nobody ever has to feel sorrow or remorse ever again, especially when dealing with youth. That is a lot bigger than just a kid wanting to swap schools.

Reactions: xcop
NCAA has passed a rule where athletes of any sport can transfer one time without having to sit out. This was obviously expected to be passed but is now official.
I think there should be some penalty for breaking a contract. I'm not sure sitting a whole year is the best but I don't think transferring without any reprecussions is the answer either.

I think there should be some penalty for breaking a contract. I'm not sure sitting a whole year is the best but I don't think transferring without any reprecussions is the answer either.
Are the contracts (scholarships) still just for a year at a time or has that changed and I just missed it?

Look I am not in favor of anybody being punished. In today's climate I think a kid should be able to make money off of their likeness and that kid's profit shouldn't have to be split up by the school to 27 other programs. I have no problem with a kid swapping schools every semester if that is what they want to do. I do have a problem with every system in the world breaking down so that nobody ever has to feel sorrow or remorse ever again, especially when dealing with youth. That is a lot bigger than just a kid wanting to swap schools.

The 1 time transfer rule has been in place for years in other sports FYI. If you're just now complaining about it, then you're saying football and basketball players should be held to different standards than other athletes

Does the general student have their education and all their living expenses paid for them by the university? It's really apples to oranges when comparing the average student to a scholarship athlete.

Does the general student have their education and all their living expenses paid for them by the university? It's really apples to oranges when comparing the average student to a scholarship athlete.

Yes, yes they do. Have you ever heard of an academic scholarship? If a student is on a full scholarship for art, they're encouraged to do their art and try to make money off it. If a student is on a full scholarship for football, they're punished for trying to make money.

Good Rule! Why should someone be penalized extra for making a bad decision or decision where you might have to play for a school that releases the staff that you have been working with for a few years, etc..... That will cut down on appeals for eligibility if someone's parents fall on hard times and they have to transfer home. Should you have to wait a year to get your degree if you transfer to another school? Just because something has been a way in the past that we do things, doesn't mean that it was the right thing to do.

They actually need a job for the subscription.
What is a shame is that in a society that relies so heavily on the the internet we still are expected to pay for it every month. Same goes for this site. So much of the revenue that the university of Alabama generates you'd think sites like this would be paid for by the university (free to me) since they benefit the most.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
Do you think the general student makes the university money while enrolled?

Oh and to be clear I don't have a problem with the new rule due to the business that is sports.
Many of the kids transferring are being ENCOURAGED to do so by their coach so they can make room for the new class of recruits ... hell every year on here we count em up with the new signings and say 4 or 5 or 6 will need to transfer or .... maybe it was not the player who made the wrong decision maybe it was the coach who evaluated him. A coach convinced to come and play and compete against the best .... when he does not measure up is it all on the kid or did the coach miss on his evaluation. Keep in mind 25 kids a year are all told the same thing ... not all can make it ... 3 years at least 75 new kids 4 years over 100 ....

Do you think less of CNS since he has never worked out a contract ... he broke every contract for a better situation. He and every other coach.....

Coker transferred and it turned out ok ... we have had many other we had more than one on our BB team this year ...is Quinnerly not able to stand on his own 2 feet .... next year we have more transfers coming in ... this is a rule change that is LONG overdue.

Baylor had a lot of transfers ... they also have a BB Championship Trophy. Gonzaga had transfers to ...

This rule will benefit Alabama and all elite teams. I think that less competitive teams will be farm teams for the top teams. Players will play their first year for a lesser team in order to get playing time rather than sit on the bench. Then then transfer up to the elite teams. Conversely, the elite teams will "encourage" players that are not as good as others that are are available to transfer to the lesser teams. Thus, the farm system will work both ways.

What is the lesson that should be taught? Students should be punished for transferring?
Not really teaching the importance of perseverance and hard work. Is the JG Wentworth mentality of my money I want it now rather than paying some dues to get it

This rule will be a WIN for football ... we will lose players who are not playing and some of the best kids at many other schools will look to come to BAMA.

In basketball ... not so sure ... we are not a basketball power. Could we lose a kid to Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK etc....

This rule will benefit Alabama and all elite teams. I think that less competitive teams will be farm teams for the top teams. Players will play their first year for a lesser team in order to get playing time rather than sit on the bench. Then then transfer up to the elite teams. Conversely, the elite teams will "encourage" players that are not as good as others that are are available to transfer to the lesser teams. Thus, the farm system will work both ways.
A great reason why this is bad for the game of basketball overall but nobody seems to care anymore
Why are football and basketball players the only ones who need to be taught this lesson?
No one syud it should be limited to them. In fact I think this whole nation needs a whole big dose of accountability work ethic and perseverance

Reactions: bet9
A great reason why this is bad for the game of basketball overall but nobody seems to care anymore

No one syud it should be limited to them. In fact I think this whole nation needs a whole big dose of accountability work ethic and perseverance

Were you upset about the 1 time transfer rule last year? It seems to me like you only got upset about it since the new rule for football and basketball passed

Were you upset about the 1 time transfer rule last year? It seems to me like you only got upset about it since the new rule for football and basketball passed
I think transfers should have to sit out the year and the SEC should allow in conference transfers only if they sit 2 years.

I think transfers should have to sit out the year and the SEC should allow in conference transfers only if they sit 2 years.

Have you ever switched jobs, and did you voluntarily take a year off from work in between those jobs? It must have sucked for you watching Jake Coker and Landon Dickerson lead us to 2 national championships. Im guessing you also don't follow softball, which is unfortunate for you since our softball team is usually quite good and has allowed transfers for years without the need to sit out and I've never seen people complain about the spoiled softball players who need to be taught a lesson that transferring is horrible and should be punished.

Have you ever switched jobs, and did you voluntarily take a year off from work in between those jobs? It must have sucked for you watching Jake Coker and Landon Dickerson lead us to 2 national championships. Im guessing you also don't follow softball, which is unfortunate for you since our softball team is usually quite good and has allowed transfers for years without the need to sit out and I've never seen people complain about the spoiled softball players who need to be taught a lesson that transferring is horrible and should be punished.
It is my opinion that all these transfers and immediate eligibility do not teach good life lessons. Somehow it gets lost det there should be a commitment from both sides in this

It is my opinion that all these transfers and immediate eligibility do not teach good life lessons. Somehow it gets lost det there should be a commitment from both sides in this

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you don't have the same job currently as whatever your first job was. In that case, either you forfeited a year of pay, or you're a hypcocrite. Which is it?

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
Who knows when life lessons are going to occur. Sometimes they come later in life. Their life lesson may be that they shouldn't have transferred. I mean the lessons we learn in life happen because of our choices and not what other people believe our choices should be.

Being given the oportunity at Alabama, with a scholarship and all that entails, has nothing to do with other people changing jobs

a ridiculous argument

Who knows when life lessons are going to occur. Sometimes they come later in life. Their life lesson may be that they shouldn't have transferred. I mean the lessons we learn in life happen because of our choices and not what other people believe our choices should be.
Another absurd stance

so spoiled and whiny kids knpw better than their elders who like cns are trying to teach life lessons?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT