ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Facility Coming

Start in April of 2023 and play in it by October, that seems fast for that big of a project. Could it be done in that amount of time? But even if they could do it in time, we wouldn’t get much practice in it.
Yeah didn’t realize that late. So earliest would have to be 24/25 season

Man I am wicked excited about this. Been a long wait, and incredibly pumped to see the students standing section surrounding the floor and being almost on top of it. From the first time I saw the Cameron Crazies as a kid, as a basketball fan I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The majority of our students have been shoved up in the corner of Coleman for decades. NO MORE. Fantastic to see Greg Byrne and the University put the students first. Big donors are going to be happy in luxury suites, and thousands of others will have better seats than before. The rendering look awesome. I think Phog Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence has the windows on one end, and that's a great atmosphere, glad we added that touch. Let's crank up the construction crews and get busy. Coach Oats is building a monster and this is going to be a huge boost. RMFT

I swear, some of y'all would complain if you were gifted a million dollars that it wasn't 2 million.
Some of us recognize it took 40+ years to get this one started. It might be another 40 or 50 if there ever is a next arena. So don't compromise on something you can't fix later without bulldozing and starting over. Get it right this time!

I've heard more that don't like it than do like it. Some don't like the outside but I feel the outside is fine and fits the overall campus building theme. Some are confused by some of the odd choices for the seating areas. Many are confused by such a tiny seating number. 10k is too small. And configured the way it is those Dec games with light turnout will look even worse than Coleman where empty seats get shadowed by the cave effect of being so far from the court.

There's also a lot of wasted space in the design. I assume they have plans for everything but that end with the windows just looks odd. Could be seats there or a video board or something. I hope they have a plan for dealing with the sun as the orientation one image provided makes it look like a straight into the gym view from the sun in the afternoon. Nights where we're having a round of storms and tornados will get nice and distracting view of near constant lighting shows.

The only common thread is a general feel of at least it's a new building and anything is better than what they have now. Even better if it's across the street from the softball field so it is out of the congestion mess where Coleman sits.

Pole barns can usually go up in a day, this one is much larger so probably about a week to install. Concrete about a week and the finishers will take a while so probably 22/23 season.

I had a 2 month delay on my trusses tho. Me and a few of my friends and 183 million could probably have this up by the end of the week.

Reactions: gip27
The students make college basketball atmospheres what they are. Not the old people who sit on their hands court side every game. I know this will cut down on general admission, but they fluffed our home attendance numbers. We 11,000+ tickets may have been sold, but a lot of those rarely go. The smaller arenas are where you get the louder crowds. Not the 4,000 people so high up you can barely see or hear them. Now everyone will be close to the court.

They have already stated the students will surround most of the court and all seats will be closer to the court.

Isn't it still a rule that no part of the student section can be directly behind the visiting team bench? If so then some need it pointed out that the cushy chairbacks are likely displaced donors in an area where students aren't allowed to sit. Haven't seen it here but some have apparently gotten upset that the student section isn't on the court and all the way around the court.

So the entire side court behind the team benches will not have students. The other 2/3 of the courtside appears to be student seating including both baselines and the side court opposite the team benches.

Why does it have to look like a Mega Church in the South? I dont like the big boxy warehouse look! Why not a more circular arena like the NBA uses! Something more like the lakers arena!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Sorry just fidnt wait 60 years just to rebuild Coleman!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
You and I are in agreement. The tweeter pixs makes it look like a church. If true, only reserving 2200 seats for students when there is 31k + enrolled seems a little low. I guess we have to gripe about something. Anybody know if the rumor of building it near the softball field is true?

The students make college basketball atmospheres what they are. Not the old people who sit on their hands court side every game. I know this will cut down on general admission, but they fluffed our home attendance numbers. We 11,000+ tickets may have been sold, but a lot of those rarely go. The smaller arenas are where you get the louder crowds. Not the 4,000 people so high up you can barely see or hear them. Now everyone will be close to the court.
Who da heck you calling "old people!" Go to your room! No supper for you!
lodog-burning-man.gif

Reactions: heny and rsaxoniii
So true! I tell people all the time that Jordan Hare and their basketball arena is much louder than Bryant Denny and Coleman because our fans average age is probably 10 to 20 years older than Auburn fans!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Bama fans sit around Coleman like NBA scouts do!😂🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT