ADVERTISEMENT

Oats recruiting

BToddFord

All District
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2019
I believe that Alabama basketball fans better get use to the situation we saw with Primo and Jayden Shack this off season. If you look at the roster Addisons they both may have saw there playing time reduced and may have had starting spots taken. Listening to JQ glowing speak of some of the New addition in an interview. Especially the 7 footer of course JD. do Primo getting drafted based on projections and the reduce playing time for Jayden S their decisions maybe logical.

Reactions: bet9 and DrElliot
I believe that Alabama basketball fans better get use to the situation we saw with Primo and Jayden Shack this off season. If you look at the roster Addisons they both may have saw there playing time reduced and may have had starting spots taken. Listening to JQ glowing speak of some of the New addition in an interview. Especially the 7 footer of course JD. do Primo getting drafted based on projections and the reduce playing time for Jayden S their decisions maybe logical.
That may be true in Shack's case, but Primo is a projected first round draft pick. He averaged 22 minutes per game last year. His playing time was not gonna be reduced below that. I think he was primed for a breakout season and would've have played himself into a lottery pick.

That may be true in Shack's case, but Primo is a projected first round draft pick. He averaged 22 minutes per game last year. His playing time was not gonna be reduced below that. I think he was primed for a breakout season and would've have played himself into a lottery pick.
If they're going to draft Primo in the first round based off potential he needs to take advantage of it. All our wings were better than Primo. Petty, Ellis, Shaq. You never know how your weaknesses can be exposed, prime example if Petty could have came straight out of High School he would have been a borderline first round draft pick. We might as well get use to it with the talent Nate Oats will bring in every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bet9
I can argue the transfer portal is becoming as important, if not even more so in the near future, than HS recruiting. I am not, necessarily, saying it already is, but it is getting much closer in terms of importance.

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
I can argue the transfer portal is becoming as important, if not even more so in the near future, than HS recruiting. I am not, necessarily, saying it already is, but it is getting much closer in terms of importance.
I would argue that it already is. Look at our situation, we pick up Furman's leading scorer and loose our leading scorer to the portal. You can build a darn good program adding proven talent from the portal. You'll see plenty of examples this year where teams can go from the bottom of the conference to being nationally relevant again. Watch Kentucky and the Auburn there going to be excellent teams being able to fill needs on there rosters through the portal.

I would argue that it already is. Look at our situation, we pick up Furman's leading scorer and loose our leading scorer to the portal. You can build a darn good program adding proven talent from the portal. You'll see plenty of examples this year where teams can go from the bottom of the conference to being nationally relevant again. Watch Kentucky and the Auburn there going to be excellent teams being able to fill needs on there rosters through the portal.
Look at GA. They lost basically their whole team. It couldn’t happen to a better fanbase.

Reactions: Codie B
It’s going to be very important from here on out. It’ll be like the one and done deal. Some teams will fully rely on it. Some teams will recruit kids that want to be at the school and want to be developed. Some teams will do both. I think relying on both is the best option. There will be some really really good players in the portal. I like our chances of improving through the portal every season.

Reactions: Codie B
It’s going to be very important from here on out. It’ll be like the one and done deal. Some teams will fully rely on it. Some teams will recruit kids that want to be at the school and want to be developed. Some teams will do both. I think relying on both is the best option. There will be some really really good players in the portal. I like our chances of improving through the portal every season.
I think for P5 teams to compete on a yearly basis, they will have to regularly use the transfer portal. There are just too many players leaving and transferring to not have to use it to stay competitive. We got Gurley and Burnett this year to replace Primo and Shackleford. Losing those two hurt, but we are still competitive due to the transfer additions. I do not want to think where we would be without them.

Let's face it, Shack never saw a shot he didn't like and JD endangers his philosophy of shooting out a slump. He saw the writing on the wall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT