ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN 30 for 30 - '83 NC State

RollTide7277

All American
May 10, 2010
...think my wife is in the kitchen cutting onions. Man, that was one of the better ones I have seen.

While stationed in NC, I was a member of the Base Honor Guard. Had the honor of laying hundreds of prior service members to rest. One particular trip took us to Raleigh. I was NCOIC of this particular detail and after we were finished, I stood with my team as the widow came by to thank us. As she concluded, she asked me if I was a basketball fan. I said, "Yes, ma'am. Have played most of my life." She said, "Well, I don't know if you know who Jim Valvano is, but he was a good friend of my husband's and he is buried right over there (pointing to the headstone)." Of course, I explained how his speech is probably one of the most powerful I have ever heard and thanked her.

After the family left, we took off our jackets and loaded our equipment into the van. I walked over to the headstone and was awestruck. It was a large, beautiful black slab of granite (I suppose) and was as clean a headstone I had ever seen. Very powerful moment in my life. It is the only detail, out of 250+ I was a part of, and I have no doubt in my mind the good Lord presented that opportunity as a blessing.

Just thought I would share. That speech never gets old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News