ADVERTISEMENT

Portal news or JD news

GOBAMA100

All Conference
Gold Member
May 22, 2011
Any news on our team. Will we have Gary Bediako Burnett and two brand new guys as starters?

That would be a hellava player
Yep, 7 footer, tough as nails and can shoot the 3.

bill-hader-sign-me-up.gif

Disagree. I think fully healthy Gary is fully capable of starting on a good team.
Can't dribble or play consistant defense without fouling. High energy and good rebounder, but again he can't consistantly play within himself to excel in those areas. Liability as far as shooting as well. Injuries had nothing to do with missed putbacks and "bull in China shop" fouls. I like Gary and hope he has success as 2nd or 3rd guy off of the bench, but a healthy Gary isn't going to give you 28 minutes, 12 points, and 6 rebounds.

Reactions: NovaTiger77
Can't dribble or play consistant defense without fouling. High energy and good rebounder, but again he can't consistantly play within himself to excel in those areas. Liability as far as shooting as well. Injuries had nothing to do with missed putbacks and "bull in China shop" fouls. I like Gary and hope he has success as 2nd or 3rd guy off of the bench, but a healthy Gary isn't going to give you 28 minutes, 12 points, and 6 rebounds.
I guess no one here believes in player growth. It's one reason I hate to see all the roster turnover Bama has had the last two offseason. Everyone seemed so excited to see certain players exit the program for "better players" only to have a drop in production this year. Having players that know what is required of them and players that know and trust each other to vital to Alabama's success.

Disagree to an extent. I think if he comes to the realization that he's not a perimeter shooter, limits his offense to around the basket, and hits free throws than he might be able to get you that stat line. His stats were 6 points & 3 rebounds in 15 minutes per game this year. If he improves nothing other than limit his fouls and staying on the floor for 28 minutes he'd get those stats.

Reactions: bet9 and G.O.A.T-23
I guess no one here believes in player growth. It's one reason I hate to see all the roster turnover Bama has had the last two offseason. Everyone seemed so excited to see certain players exit the program for "better players" only to have a drop in production this year. Having players that know what is required of them and players that know and trust each other to vital to Alabama's success.
The universe is going to implode if we keep agreeing

He’s got some holes in his game. But I think a healthy Gary could easily offer 12 and 6.

I don't know, but if we can combine the three like you just did their names, Bama would be in position for a Final Four run. And Gary Bediako Burnett, GBB for short, would be the #1 overall pick in the 2023 NBA Draft...
Ok I agree Gary must come off the bench. I think he will be healthier and be a good solid bench player.

Reactions: bet9
Disagree to an extent. I think if he comes to the realization that he's not a perimeter shooter, limits his offense to around the basket, and hits free throws than he might be able to get you that stat line. His stats were 6 points & 3 rebounds in 15 minutes per game this year. If he improves nothing other than limit his fouls and staying on the floor for 28 minutes he'd get those stats.
Holt, Gurley, Bediako, Pringle, Miles, Miller, and Clowney. That's 7 guys off the top of my head that are all hopefully trying to develop to earn their share of the minutes. I don't want Gary to go anywhere and I have a history of posts showing my desire for these guys to hang around, but he's 21 years old shoots 60% from ft and 20% from 3. He does well with that baseline cut after guard penetration but he is unguarded. And at 6'6" who is he guarding? Crazy athletic with hops but any good 3 or 4 will keep him on skates and any good 5 is going to bully him. They both equate to fouls. Sorry guys but we just witnessed it.

Last edited:
I love Gary and hope he’s around next year, hit I also think he’s best as a bench guy giving 15-20 minutes of balls to the wall rebounding and defense. Those guys are vital to the team. I just think for our system we need a knock down shooter at the 4

Reactions: GOBAMA100
Gary needs to hide out in the weight room this off season and seriously start eating some 8 penny nails to toughen up. Very weak hands and strength. The whole team might benefit it they became stronger physically.

Holt, Gurley, Bediako, Pringle, Miles, Miller, and Clowney. That's 7 guys off the top of my head that are all hopefully trying to develop to earn their share of the minutes. I don't want Gary to go anywhere and I have a history of posts showing my desire for these guys to hang around, but he's 21 years old shoots 60% from ft and 20% from 3. He does well with that baseline cut after guard penetration but he is unguarded. And at 6'6" who is he guarding? Crazy athletic with hops but any good 3 or 4 will keep him on skates and any good 5 is going to bully him. They both equate to fouls. Sorry guys but we just witnessed it.
Is Gurley expected back? I thought he was out of eligibility but you probably know better than I do.

Disagree. I think fully healthy Gary is fully capable of starting on a good team.
Gary's per 40 numbers were 16 and 12 last season and 16 and 8.8 this season...those aren't bad numbers and are very similar to Kobe Brown's numbers...just with fewer minutes per game played.

I don't think it helps Bama to have too many non-shooters on the floor at one time, but 3pt shooting is an areas that tends to increase with time and a 30%+ 3pt shooting Gary could be really helpful if he can stay out of foul trouble (avg. over 5 fouls per 40 mins both seasons) and even if he doesn't improve he can still be effective.

IMO we are short a true stretch 4/5, shooting in general, and length at guard. Will those be available in the portal or provided by the new guys? We can hope.

Is Gurley expected back? I thought he was out of eligibility but you probably know better than I do.
Yes using his covid year of eligibility. Was quick to make his announcement and is even recruiting kids in the portal. Not sure about skill but he appears to be ready to lead.

Reactions: bet9 and Jbone100
he is using his covid year and will not count against the 13 scolarship limit.
I thought kids could still use the COVID year but would now count against the scholarship limit. I thought the non counter status was just last season??

Nijel Pack PG Kansas St. is in the TP. I got to watch him play a few games on ESPN. He is a real PG who can shoot the 3 40+%. Smart player. He would be a good pickup if we needed a PG.

Reactions: Codie B
Nijel Pack PG Kansas St. is in the TP. I got to watch him play a few games on ESPN. He is a real PG who can shoot the 3 40+%. Smart player. He would be a good pickup if we needed a PG.
We 100% need a PG...even if Bradley plays at or above expectations we don't have a backup and we can always play two PGs if they are good.

I could not disagree more. Gary has a nose for the ball, hustles and, when healthy, could easily be a big contributor and a double double type player

Reactions: pfaud001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT