Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Time: 7:30
Tv: SEC Network
Odds: Bama -2

When it becomes February (or three days from it), every game becomes magnified. The games become larger and the wins are must needed. There is no exception for tonight as I am saying this is a must-win for Alabama. A game against another ranked opponent at home that will further bolster the resume and help people forget about the bad losses. Alabama has to travel to Auburn this weekend, so in order to get a quality win this week, tonight is the best opportunity.

Stopping Quinndary Weatherspoon is the first thing Alabama will need to do. That’s easier said than done, but Alabama was able to stop Terrence Davis and ended up fouling him out early in the 2nd half. One way they can stop him is doubling him when he begins to drive, but you would have to be willing to give up an open shooter. I always liked to coach by the saying, “Let someone other than the best player beat you.” If the role players are hitting shots, then tip your hat and move on. Weatherspoon is an excellent driver and finisher close to the rim so you have to respect that, but he is also efficient from 3 as well.

Alabama is 28th in the nation in rebounding margin, and that is where the game will be won and lost today. Alabama got killed on the offensive boards against Baylor (who just beat Oklahoma by 30 on the road) and gave up a lot of 2nd Chance points. Miss St is a very opportunistic team when it comes to offensive rebounding so securing the first rebound will be key. Will John Petty show up? Alabama needs John Petty to have a good game and they sorely missed him against Baylor has he only had 2 points. Petty and Tevin Mack make an excellent combo if they can catch fire together.

Based on the weather probably keeping a lot of the fans away from the game and it will be not be a large crowd, I am going to lean towards to Bulldogs pulling this one out.

Mississippi State 76-74

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News