PREVIEW: Auburn 2/2

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Time: 7 pm
TV: ESPN2

“The Iron Bowl or Basketball”, I think I just threw up in my mouth typing that. Anyway, this game would be a monstrous win for Alabama if they can pull this off. Before Wednesday night, Auburn had lost 3 in a row and was struggling to shoot and rebound efficiently. Wednesday night it looked like the same story in the first half against Missouri, but then the 2nd half came and they scored 60+ points. Not having Austin Wiley has hurt this team tremendously apparently, even though they were better when he missed all last season. Their rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, is down significantly when he doesn’t play. It does not look promising for him to play tonight, so that is good news for Alabama.

Alabama dominated in their last meeting against Auburn in the SEC Championship, while playing a rather awful first half. What that team did was make sure Auburn did not get any offensive rebounds and guard the perimeter effectively. Auburn didn’t hit a shot for the first 10 minutes and Alabama stretch their lead to 16 thanks to Collin Sexton. What this team will have to do is the same, but slow the game down and let Donta Hall go to work. If Hall can get Horace Spencer in foul trouble, that is all of their size inside on the bench. Overall, the key is to give Auburn one shot and no more, because it’s a scramble drill on an offensive rebound which typically leaves s shooter wide open. Auburn will go on droughts, but Alabama has to take advantage.

I’ve thought with Wiley out that Alabama has a decent chance to win, but being in Auburn I’m not sure how teams beat them with as good as they play there. I do think it’ll be competitive.

Auburn 79 Alabama 70

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News