ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons for Grant

sweetlou_7

All American
Jan 3, 2007
I haven't really expressed my thoughts on Grant and what his future at Alabama should be. Partially because I honestly don't know. I think I've read most of the posts over the last couple months regarding his status. There have been several posts asking for a good reason to keep him, so I thought I would just list a couple pros and cons... Nothing new or revolutionary in this post. I'll show my hand early and say I think we should probably move on and let Grant go.

Pros:

1. He continues to recruit pretty well. Out of all the legitimate criticisms of Grant, the one that I simply don't understand is that he hasn't been able to recruit. This is simply false. Last year was a solid recruiting class and although the incoming class isn't very flashy, I expect Hall and Ingram to be early contributors. Brandon Austin probably won't do much next year but will be a solid four year guy who can make shots.

2. He has maintained the respect of his players. If there's one thing that's certain, these players still love and respect Coach Grant. They play hard for him every time out. A lot of times in these situations, you'll begin to see the players checking out and really losing respect for their coach. That's not the case here, and there's something to be said for that.

3. He runs a clean program. I don't think we ever have to worry about Grant getting in trouble with the NCAA. His players take on his character and represent the program and University well. That's always a great thing.

Cons:

Simple: He isn't winning. I could re-state all the stats that have been given on how he's done against RPI top 50 teams or AP top 25 teams but instead I'll just sum it up by saying that statistically, it's unacceptably bad. Really embarrassing and frustrating.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the glaring negative outweighs anything positive we could say about his tenure, but that's not to say he hasn't done some good things. I also believe he's had some terrible luck (Pollard; Primadonnas; Injuries).

This post was edited on 3/13 10:29 AM by sweetlou_7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News