ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Top safety target talks relationship with Alabama staff, previews OV

Jack Knowlton

All American
Staff
Oct 10, 2023
The first big weekend of Alabama summer official visits kicks off Friday. The Crimson Tide will welcome a host of top targets in the Class of 2025, hoping to secure a few commitments while staying at the top of lists for players saving their commitment until the fall and winter months.

Three-star athlete Todd Robinson is one of those targets who will be in Tuscaloosa during the May 31-June 2 official visit weekend. Robinson has gained a lot of buzz on the recruiting trail in recent months. Since April 1, he’s landed offers from Alabama, Florida State, Memphis, Michigan, South Carolina and Tennessee, with the Crimson Tide extending an offer on April 5.

Robinson plays both quarterback and safety for Valdosta High School in Georgia. He is being recruited to play the latter position for Alabama and has formed a strong relationship with defensive backs coach Colin Hitschler.

“He’s been checking in on me,” Robinson said. “They’ve been telling me how exciting it is to have me there for the OV and I’m excited to go.”

“I think he's a good guy. He’s been checking in on me. So he shows that he cares about more than just football… When I was there watching him coach, I feel like he coaches with very high intensity and he wants the best for his players and he's going to demand the best from his players. So I love that.”

In addition to Hitschler’s coaching, the overall energy at Alabama’s spring practice impressed Robinson during his last visit. Under coach Kalen DeBoer the Crimson Tide kept it more loose at spring practice than in years past, creating an environment that Robinson said he could see himself being a part of.

“I love the environment,” Robinson said. “Everybody was bouncing around and [it was] more than just playing football they were having fun. So I really love to see that.”

During his official visit, Robinson said he wants to explore Alabama’s campus more and continue to develop a relationship with DeBoer and Kane Wommack. How Robinson’s visit goes will be key as the Crimson Tide battles Georgia and other top contenders for his services.

“The main thing is a coaching staff that can better me as a player and as a man [and] be in a brotherhood with my teammates that’s going to be on and off the field,” Robinson said. “As far as playing time, of course, I want to play. But if it's a thing where I don't really play [in Year 1], I just really want to try to see the field even if that's on special teams, anything like that.”

While the Crimson Tide and Bulldogs are currently in the driver's seat for Robinson’s recruitment, he is still keeping his eye on other programs. In addition to Alabama, Robinson will also visit Georgia (June 7), LSU (June 14) and Michigan (June 21). He is also planning a weekday trip to Florida State in June. Robinson’s recruiting battle could last until after the season, as he currently plans to commit in December. However, he has not officially settled on a date.

Reactions: terp john
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News