ADVERTISEMENT

Really getting turned off by college hoops

frazor

All American
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2002
which is sad because I had really lost interest in football to a degree and had given most of my limited attention to basketball.
It's easy to speculate that Oats doesn't like Holt or Gary or that they don't like him and his system. Only a short time ago those would have been legit questions. However, I'm not sure it's legit anymore when every damn kid in the nation is transferring and it seems like you havn't lived the college experience unless you're playing for your second or third team.
Bama is bringing in one of it's best recruiting classes ever and I'm just not sure how it is going to benefit the program beyond 12 weeks starting next November. And it's not just Bama, news is coming out daily of upperclassmen declaring for the draft (you know 326 kids are not getting drafted) while almost every underclassman is changing schools as casually as a Twitter update.
As a fan there is legit no reason to invest or care about Bediako, Burnett, Pringle, or Miller because they won't be here 365 days from now.

It’s a new world for sure. The key to roster continuity is going to be landing transfers with 2-3 years left.

i just hope the negative side of the portal gets the attention and educates kids that the grass isn’t always greener. A lot of portal guys will end up in worse situations than they left

if you return 6 guys from your previous roster you may be in the top 50 teams in the country in returning players

Reactions: pfaud001
which is sad because I had really lost interest in football to a degree and had given most of my limited attention to basketball.
It's easy to speculate that Oats doesn't like Holt or Gary or that they don't like him and his system. Only a short time ago those would have been legit questions. However, I'm not sure it's legit anymore when every damn kid in the nation is transferring and it seems like you havn't lived the college experience unless you're playing for your second or third team.
Bama is bringing in one of it's best recruiting classes ever and I'm just not sure how it is going to benefit the program beyond 12 weeks starting next November. And it's not just Bama, news is coming out daily of upperclassmen declaring for the draft (you know 326 kids are not getting drafted) while almost every underclassman is changing schools as casually as a Twitter update.
As a fan there is legit no reason to invest or care about Bediako, Burnett, Pringle, or Miller because they won't be here 365 days from now.
Could not agree more. Transfer rules and NIL are clearly ruining College basketball and football. No commitment necessary any longer/ just entitlement from here to the moon.
It is ridiculous and agenda generated.

Could not agree more. Transfer rules and NIL are clearly ruining College basketball and football. No commitment necessary any longer/ just entitlement from here to the moon.
It is ridiculous and agenda generated.
I don’t believe it’s ruining either. Both are as healthy as ever. But it’s definitely changing them

Kind of like YMCA ball where all the kids get re-drafted every year. Still fun though.

The only way that Pringle isn't here 365 days from now is if he enters the portal. He sure as heck isn't going to have any professional options.

I’m hoping more guys look at situations like Kessler. If he stays at UNC, he likely helped his draft status and probably has a National Championship ring. UNC’s only weakness was they only had 2 front court players. No question Kessler had a great season… but he could’ve had an equally great individual season at North Carolina and walk away with a ring. Most of the time it’s in the players best interest to stick it out and work a little harder at their current school.

I’m hoping more guys look at situations like Kessler. If he stays at UNC, he likely helped his draft status and probably has a National Championship ring. UNC’s only weakness was they only had 2 front court players. No question Kessler had a great season… but he could’ve had an equally great individual season at North Carolina and walk away with a ring. Most of the time it’s in the players best interest to stick it out and work a little harder at their current school.

He won DPOY and wouldn't have been a starter at unc. Now he's headed to the NBA. There's no logical answer that he'd be better of without transferring

Reactions: bet9
While many were championing "the kids should be able to go when and where they please just like coaches" some of us were trying to point out this will end badly.

In the end, if the NCAA doesn't put some stout guard rails up on the portal then coaches will abuse the players every off season. Have a bad year and some attitudes soured? Don't worry, just ghost the kids after the last game and they'll find somewhere to be while the head coach rebuilds with players that decided they didn't like where they were. It's an awful way to treat kids but if they want it to be like a business then many coaches will treat the kids like disposable tools.

At the very least some rules must be put in place to prevent one school from regularly recruiting too many out of the portal every off season on top of a normal recruiting class. Maybe give a 2 or 3 year window where each team has a maximum number of portal signees they can take in unless there are some unique circumstances and even then it would require an appeal and waiver process of some sort.

Reactions: Bocat69 and Codie B
While many were championing "the kids should be able to go when and where they please just like coaches" some of us were trying to point out this will end badly.

In the end, if the NCAA doesn't put some stout guard rails up on the portal then coaches will abuse the players every off season. Have a bad year and some attitudes soured? Don't worry, just ghost the kids after the last game and they'll find somewhere to be while the head coach rebuilds with players that decided they didn't like where they were. It's an awful way to treat kids but if they want it to be like a business then many coaches will treat the kids like disposable tools.

At the very least some rules must be put in place to prevent one school from regularly recruiting too many out of the portal every off season on top of a normal recruiting class. Maybe give a 2 or 3 year window where each team has a maximum number of portal signees they can take in unless there are some unique circumstances and even then it would require an appeal and waiver process of some sort.
I am not sure how anyone can think this has made college bb better. So much for the people who thought this wouldn’t make any difference.

I am not sure how anyone can think this has made college bb better. So much for the people who thought this wouldn’t make any difference.
I am not sure what the answer is. I love the idea that kids commit to a school and not the coach but we know that isn't true. Nobody in this class is coming to Bama because they love T-town. They're coming because of the head coach and if he leaves (St Mary, UF, UGA, etc) the kids should not be overly penalized.

I’m personally of the opinion that the kids should be able to go wherever they want and that this will end badly. No easy answer

You pose a good argument.

You do realize that the portal only works once, for transfers to play immediately. So one guard rail is already in place. And it's not always a matter of a coach running a kid off. Sometimes it's just a poor fit.

What has turned up a notch is coaches continuing to recruit players who went elsewhere.

You do realize that the portal only works once, for transfers to play immediately. So one guard rail is already in place. And it's not always a matter of a coach running a kid off. Sometimes it's just a poor fit.

What has turned up a notch is coaches continuing to recruit players who went elsewhere.
Yes, I was aware its supposed to only work once for an immediate transfer. However, as I understand it the grad transfer loophole is still in place so technically they can move again within the bounds of the grad transfer rule. There are a lot of basketball programs out there so a coach recruiting rosters as much as high school will have plenty of players to pick from.

My point stands though in that some coaches will abuse this and 75%+ roster turnover will not be uncommon. It might not be the norm everywhere but it will happen too often and is happening in our basketball program this offseason. LSU will essentially be 100% roster turnover which was unfathomable unless an actual death penalty were levied as a punishment.

Reactions: Codie B
I remember how intently I followed Bama BB from the time I started watching them in ‘84 thru ‘92, and I only remember us getting one transfer from another D1 school(Rob Cornegy from St John’s, who barely ever played). I don’t recall us losing anyone to a transfer in that time frame, and I only remember one player leaving before his eligibility was up(Derrick McKey after his junior season, and he went back and forth on it for some time). I am not against the players, but how can things have changed to this extreme since then.

Reactions: pfaud001
I remember how intently I followed Bama BB from the time I started watching them in ‘84 thru ‘92, and I only remember us getting one transfer from another D1 school(Rob Cornegy from St John’s, who barely ever played). I don’t recall us losing anyone to a transfer in that time frame, and I only remember one player leaving before his eligibility was up(Derrick McKey after his junior season, and he went back and forth on it for some time). I am not against the players, but how can things have changed to this extreme since then.
Our society has changed since those days/ and not for the better. It is now all about the entitlement and perceived “ rights” of today’s youth. Zero accountability or commitment.
If the past seems like it was better/ then it probably was so.

Reactions: Codie B
Our society has changed since those days/ and not for the better. It is now all about the entitlement and perceived “ rights” of today’s youth. Zero accountability or commitment.
If the past seems like it was better/ then it probably was so.

Are all transfers bad or just the ones that transfer away from us?

Players moving to another school doesn’t have a damn thing to do with entitlement. They’ve worked hard and dreamed long about what their future looks like. Nearly every competitive athlete wants to rise to the highest level of their sport. It’s well within their right to seek opportunities where they believe they can achieve their goals. It’s no difference than a coach chasing the best opportunity and/or paycheck for his career or family.

I do agree there needs to be more structure and and guardrails for everyone involved in athletics: coaches and players. For me the ability to move from one program to another needs to remain. If anything, I would modify first year transfers without penalty. The only way to leave a program after or during the 1st year would be because of entering the NBA draft or another professional league. Otherwise, most signees will remain on campus for minimum 2 years. After the 2nd year, anyone can transfer without penalty the next season and within a certain window during the year. There would be only one penalty free transfer allowed NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. That removes the nuances and discriminatory decisions by any and all. That will take away a huge complaint.

For guys who enter the portal at the behest of the coach and don’t find another scholarship opportunity, they would be entitled to return to their team as a non-participating scholarship athlete for the upcoming year and until they graduate or transfer to another school. Of course, there are some other nuances I’d include. But, I’ll stop here for now.

Players moving to another school doesn’t have a damn thing to do with entitlement. They’ve worked hard and dreamed long about what their future looks like. Nearly every competitive athlete wants to rise to the highest level of their sport. It’s well within their right to seek opportunities where they believe they can achieve their goals. It’s no difference than a coach chasing the best opportunity and/or paycheck for his career or family.

I do agree there needs to be more structure and and guardrails for everyone involved in athletics: coaches and players. For me the ability to move from one program to another needs to remain. If anything, I would modify first year transfers without penalty. The only way to leave a program after or during the 1st year would be because of entering the NBA draft or another professional league. Otherwise, most signees will remain on campus for minimum 2 years. After the 2nd year, anyone can transfer without penalty the next season and within a certain window during the year. There would be only one penalty free transfer allowed NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. That removes the nuances and discriminatory decisions by any and all. That will take away a huge complaint.

For guys who enter the portal at the behest of the coach and don’t find another scholarship opportunity, they would be entitled to return to their team as a non-participating scholarship athlete for the upcoming year and until they graduate or transfer to another school. Of course, there are some other nuances I’d include. But, I’ll stop here for now.
All kids that age are entitled. Beyond belief actually. Societal problem enhanced by parents. Commitment is not in their vocabulary.

All kids that age are entitled. Beyond belief actually. Societal problem enhanced by parents. Commitment is not in their vocabulary.

Is commitment in the vocabulary of the coaches who are allowed to leave a school with no notice and get rewarded for it? Maybe you think society has been ruined by people who say they're not leaving a program then accept money to leave anyways.

Is commitment in the vocabulary of the coaches who are allowed to leave a school with no notice and get rewarded for it? Maybe you think society has been ruined by people who say they're not leaving a program then accept money to leave anyways.
Coaches are employees of the university. That is a very tired and over used argument. Some act like these kids are getting nothing. And at schools like Alabama they get a great deal.

Coaches are employees of the university. That is a very tired and over used argument. Some act like these kids are getting nothing. And at schools like Alabama they get a great deal.

It's normal for non athletes to transfer to look for better opportunities, why do you think athletes shouldn't be afforded that same opportunity?

It's normal for non athletes to transfer to look for better opportunities, why do you think athletes shouldn't be afforded that same opportunity?

Unless it's changed in recent years it can be a royal pita for a regular student to transfer as an undergrad. So many variables in what may or may not transfer and some of the harder to get into schools just don't take transfers without a lot of legacy connections. Maybe not hard to transfer to a middle of the road state college but near impossible to "transfer up" to an elite university.

Unless it's changed in recent years it can be a royal pita for a regular student to transfer as an undergrad. So many variables in what may or may not transfer and some of the harder to get into schools just don't take transfers without a lot of legacy connections. Maybe not hard to transfer to a middle of the road state college but near impossible to "transfer up" to an elite university.

The same rules apply to athletes, except people think athletes should be punished even more for transferring

The same rules apply to athletes, except people think athletes should be punished even more for transferring
Except athletes can get into any school if they are good enough at their sport. Let’s not pretend elite athletes have the same academic standards as normal students.
( George Pickens at Georgia). And normal students do not have the “ prima Donna” attitude of many athletes or have near as much done for them.

Some of it is players wanting to play, some of it is coaches “encouraging” players to move on so they can bring in better players.

For a long time we heard about Saban processing players. Meaning if they were not good enough to help Bama he would find a new home for them. Everyone was ok with it as long as Bama was winning and it was being justified as this is “Big Boy Football.”

The reason behind coaches asking players to leave boils down to money. These coaches are making more than many coaches at the pro level so the pressure to win at all cost is high.

One of the reason I’ve been saying for years that people calling college athletic “amateur sport” have no clue. It’s so far from amateur sports…

Except athletes can get into any school if they are good enough at their sport. Let’s not pretend elite athletes have the same academic standards as normal students.
( George Pickens at Georgia). And normal students do not have the “ prima Donna” attitude of many athletes or have near as much done for them.

But thats not at all what I was discussing. Athletes still need credits to transfer, that's what this post was about. You're free to continue arguing everyone on the planet is allowed to change schools/jobs/etc except for college athletes, and I'll continue to say you're wrong. Ill also gladly call anyone a quitter who calls kids that transfer quitters

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
But thats not at all what I was discussing. Athletes still need credits to transfer, that's what this post was about. You're free to continue arguing everyone on the planet is allowed to change schools/jobs/etc except for college athletes, and I'll continue to say you're wrong. Ill also gladly call anyone a quitter who calls kids that transfer quitters
“ Wrong” is an opinion. Nothing more/ does not mean you are right. These kids are not employees. You are ignoring the entitlement/ pretty sure I know why.

“ Wrong” is an opinion. Nothing more/ does not mean you are right. These kids are not employees. You are ignoring the entitlement/ pretty sure I know why.
I would like to know why. Please inform me why you think he’s “ignoring the entitlement” as you put it

You already know. Football and basketball players. They are all you 2 are referring to here.
You really are a sad and pathetic individual. Race is all you think about and then you project onto others your reasoning behind you comments.

Not sure what made you such a peice of shit, I assume you had shitty parents, but whatever the reason you most certainly are…

Admit why you really think players should be this “ entitled”. Pretty sure I know why.
Your quitter comment makes “ zero” sense. As in absolutely none.

I don't understand the question. My opinion is that athletes shouldn't be punished for doing something everyone else is allowed to do. If the Oklahoma coach can get handsomely rewarded to leave Oklahoma and go to USC, why should the players be punished for doing the same thing?

You really are a sad and pathetic individual. Race is all you think about and then you project onto others your reasoning behind you comments.

Not sure what made you such a peice of shit, I assume you had shitty parents, but whatever the reason you most certainly are…
No/ you just have the proverbial “ chip” on the shoulder. It is beyond obvious to all that read your posts on many subjects. I just do not mind pointing out that fact. And your reaction shows that I am correct. Just like it has before.
By the way/ my parents were phenomenal people. Father was a 22 year Navy Senior Chief. Mother best lady I ever knew. So wrong again Agenda Man.
The problem in this country is that society has made it politically incorrect to call out certain types of people.
I do not buy into that garbage.
Own your agenda/ but you will not do that.

No/ you just have the proverbial “ chip” on the shoulder. It is beyond obvious to all that read your posts on many subjects. I just do not mind pointing out that fact. And your reaction shows that I am correct. Just like it has before.
By the way/ my parents were phenomenal people. Father was a 22 year Navy Senior Chief. Mother best lady I ever knew. So wrong again Agenda Man.
The problem in this country is that society has made it politically incorrect to call out certain types of people.

I agree that we should call out certain types of people, for example you are a quitter. I assume you also believe that makes you entitled, or maybe you're a hypocrite

Yet before I told people here I was black, I was just another poster sharing his opinions on topics discussed. Some posters agreed some disagreed but only you decided to start throwing out the “agenda” once you knew my ethnicity.

There are white posters here who agree with me on a number of opinions shared, yet I must have an “agenda”. I didn’t even know what ethnicity @RTRfromGA was but assumed your racist ass would must think it’s black because whenever you disagree with a black poster on here, you throw that same lame assumption about why they have the opinions they do.

I don’t care what your dad did for a living, if he raised you, he had to be a piece of shit. Apples don’t fall too far the tree..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT