ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Alabama expected to hire Austin Claunch as an assistant coach

Now maybe we can start to fill out this roster. Not even sure how they do that with about 3 people in the draft that could come back.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
Harper, there is a great deal of talk about Murphy being an assistant. Why do you feel so strongly he won't be? Also Roy Rogers is another hot rumor. Thoughts on that?

Reactions: bet9
Harper, there is a great deal of talk about Murphy being an assistant. Why do you feel so strongly he won't be? Also Roy Rogers is another hot rumor. Thoughts on that?
There was a lot of talk but Murphy won’t happen. I’d imagine the show cause is a big reason why.

Rogers is an interesting name. Former Bama player and multiple years as a NBA bench coach. He’s also a defensive guru. Would be a nice hire if it happens

I just read the show cause article about Murphy. He went to a meeting with Dawkins and was handed $6000. Following the meeting he gave the money back to Dawkins and did not keep any of the payment. He has since passed a polygraph test stating he did not keep the money.

He told the Creighton AD who decided to keep him on the staff until the FBI investigation named him and the NCAA got involved.

Sounds like he was given the show cause for attending the meeting. The show cause expires in June.

Reactions: xcop and lainey2020
Claunch, l think is a very good Coach no doubt. l do think it is a legitimate question does he have the ability to recruit at a high level at a Power 5 school?

On Rogers l wonder if we could offer a salary that could get him away from the NBA. l have no idea how much NBA assistants are paid. Also wonder about his recruiting ability.

I just read the show cause article about Murphy. He went to a meeting with Dawkins and was handed $6000. Following the meeting he gave the money back to Dawkins and did not keep any of the payment. He has since passed a polygraph test stating he did not keep the money.

He told the Creighton AD who decided to keep him on the staff until the FBI investigation named him and the NCAA got involved.

Sounds like he was given the show cause for attending the meeting. The show cause expires in June.
Thanks for this info. l was not sure what the show cause was for.

There was a lot of talk but Murphy won’t happen. I’d imagine the show cause is a big reason why.

Rogers is an interesting name. Former Bama player and multiple years as a NBA bench coach. He’s also a defensive guru. Would be a nice hire if it happens
Jordan, I had a friend from Birmingham suggest that Mitch Cole the Associate Head Coach at Samford would be a great hire… do you know him?

Claunch, l think is a very good Coach no doubt. l do think it is a legitimate question does he have the ability to recruit at a high level at a Power 5 school?

On Rogers l wonder if we could offer a salary that could get him away from the NBA. l have no idea how much NBA assistants are paid. Also wonder about his recruiting ability.
If hired, Rogers would not be asked to recruit. Similar to what Charlie Henry did. Just gameplan and develop

Reactions: lainey2020 and xcop
I think Oats should go out of his system and hire coaches to challenge his system of averages. It was easy to see in the tournament that teams that relied on the 3 point shot were eliminated early. It’s a system that is to easy to defend with a good defense. It all comes down to are you ok with a great regular season, or do you want to win it all. I love what Oats has done with the program. Results is selling out 15000 seats for every home game this season. It’s remarkable!

I think Oats should go out of his system and hire coaches to challenge his system of averages. It was easy to see in the tournament that teams that relied on the 3 point shot were eliminated early. It’s a system that is to easy to defend with a good defense. It all comes down to are you ok with a great regular season, or do you want to win it all. I love what Oats has done with the program. Results is selling out 15000 seats for every home game this season. It’s remarkable!
Nova won 2 titles with that system, FAU made the final 4, Miami made the elite eight, UConn just won the title. All have very similar shot charts and play fast. Enough with the system doesn’t work. Using the tournament as an example is bad anyways bc it can be just a 1 game sample size, but it shows there is history of teams going far with it. The system is what works. Sometimes players just go through slumps or struggle at the wrong time.

San Diego just seemed to have a better game plan inside the paint than us. The 3 pointer’s were in a slump before the SEC Championship. As a result we drop games. We were lucky to get a weeks reset before the tournament. My biggest complaint is not calling time outs to stop the momentum of a run, and not taking the mid-range jumper. But, you have more knowledge than me on basketball.

Now maybe we can start to fill out this roster. Not even sure how they do that with about 3 people in the draft that could come back.
I know some of the players are testing the draft. My Question is’ does a university have to hold their position open for them to return?

Anyone hearing when this might be official? We need some help on the recruiting trail with both high school and portal.

Nova won 2 titles with that system, FAU made the final 4, Miami made the elite eight, UConn just won the title. All have very similar shot charts and play fast. Enough with the system doesn’t work. Using the tournament as an example is bad anyways bc it can be just a 1 game sample size, but it shows there is history of teams going far with it. The system is what works. Sometimes players just go through slumps or struggle at the wrong time.
I agree. I think because the three point shooting was so atrocious on the last part of the season that fans point to these games as examples of when it’s not working, bama has to have plan b and c .

So fans bring up other areas to shoot from
Bama was exceptional at plan A but when the shots didn’t fall, seems like they could not morph into another type team, if necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT