ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Tournament Mega Thread

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Use this thread to talk about the games that Alabama is not involved in throughout the tournament.

Looks like we will be facing Miss St by the looks of it. Sheesh.

Miss St going away from their post advantage.. you don't need tricks to win you gotta do what you do best and believe in it.. plus they play horrible defense on the shooters..

Alabama will face Miss St tomorrow at 11 am. What a relief.
I must be in the minority here my friend because I am sick that Kentucky let the late lead slip away. I personally think that State is a much more difficult matchup for us than Kentucky.
BTW Harper, thank you very much for all of the baseball updates that you give us.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

I must be in the minority here my friend because I am sick that Kentucky let the late lead slip away. I personally think that State is a much more difficult matchup for us than Kentucky.
BTW Harper, thank you very much for all of the baseball updates that you give us.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
You are in the minority.

Reactions: onebamamaniax
I'm not sure we wanted to play MSU here. They bullied us at times in both games and we eeked out wins where maybe we shouldn't have. Each game was a one score deal with around a minute to go and we made a shot or two to hold on.

Not that playing UK in the SEC tourney is necessarily a good thing but at least their name would have had our players attention.

Would have really liked to have punched UK out though. Let them hang around for 25 minutes and then mow them down... like they've done to us basically every time we've played them in the SEC tournament.

I'm not sure we wanted to play MSU here. They bullied us at times in both games and we eeked out wins where maybe we shouldn't have. Each game was a one score deal with around a minute to go and we made a shot or two to hold on.

Not that playing UK in the SEC tourney is necessarily a good thing but at least their name would have had our players attention.

Would have really liked to have punched UK out though. Let them hang around for 25 minutes and then mow them down... like they've done to us basically every time we've played them in the SEC tourna

I can't say I disagree with a thing you said. MissStake might be the most physical team in the SEC and they will leave any team bruised that faces them. Maybe breath foul Doug Shows will call the game and give us some room to play.

Either way, MSU gave us games both times we played this year. We do not match up against their front line If I was MissStake, i would take the ball to the rack each time and play the ball off the backboard until it went into the basket. That is what they did to us in the second half a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I do not like this matchup.

I know you said SEC Mega Thread, but in other conferences, Michigan State got beat today by Maryland and 'Nova' lost to Georgetown. Ok State beat West Virginia and UVa had to hit a last second three pointer to beat the Cuse. Some great games to open the tournaments and some shockers. I would like to see either Illinois or Michigan losing early and Bama winning out, so we had a shot at the one line.

Kentucky really stunk it up this season

Wf4LBJ.gif

Watching Vandy and I think I can safely say that if Scottie Jr. stays another year that Vandy will be a very dangerous team in the Conference next season. Vandy is just one or two players away.
Hopefully Oats can stay ahead of he game and keep plugging in needed quality players. KY is no doubt pissed and will out for blood next season. Maybe Miss State will lose Ado to the draft. That dude is a handful and then some.

Reactions: bet9
I can't say I disagree with a thing you said. MissStake might be the most physical team in the SEC and they will leave any team bruised that faces them. Maybe breath foul Doug Shows will call the game and give us some room to play.

Either way, MSU gave us games both times we played this year. We do not match up against their front line If I was MissStake, i would take the ball to the rack each time and play the ball off the backboard until it went into the basket. That is what they did to us in the second half a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I do not like this matchup.
Miss St will have tired legs in 2nd half. Bama will be fine. Kentucky would have been a tougher matchup. Bama will run all day.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
I agree DG. I told my boys before the game that I would rather play Kentucky tomorrow than State. We don't match up well with them at all. Ado and Tolu are total mismatches for our bigs. Molinar and Stewart are strong, physical guards that gave us fits in both games earlier this season. We were fortunate to win both of them. Hopefully we'll be able to eke out another one tomorrow. I actually believe that State is the toughest draw for us in our side of the bracket. We match up much better against both Florida and Tennessee if we can get to Saturday.

Reactions: budog
Miss St will have tired legs in 2nd half. Bama will be fine. Kentucky would have been a tougher matchup. Bama will run all day.
You can't run if you aren't able to rebound. That's my concern. State is much bigger and more physical than we are. We ran all the way to a whopping 64 points the last time we played them. They're gonna be tough.

You can't run if you aren't able to rebound. That's my concern. State is much bigger and more physical than we are. We ran all the way to a whopping 64 points the last time we played them. They're gonna be tough.
Have a feeling Petty and Quinnerly are going to light them up tomorrow. Those 2nd day legs will come into play after half.

Reactions: pfaud001
Bama out rebounded them in the 2nd game and state had 4 more the first. Seems Bama does pretty good rebounding against state.

I know you said SEC Mega Thread, but in other conferences, Michigan State got beat today by Maryland and 'Nova' lost to Georgetown. Ok State beat West Virginia and UVa had to hit a last second three pointer to beat the Cuse. Some great games to open the tournaments and some shockers. I would like to see either Illinois or Michigan losing early and Bama winning out, so we had a shot at the one line.

And K State sustained a really suspect call or they may have beaten Baylor late. This is March and with it being do or die for everyone, so many of these teams play out of their minds.

That said, I was glad to see the Big Blue go down. Never going to be upset to see Coach Cal and the UK Monarchy get sent packing on a Thursday in the SEC tourney. I know MSU is a solid team with two good scoring guards and multiple bullies in the middle, but I feel like our pace of play, our very solid D (and adding a healthier Bruner who has played 17 total minutes vs MSU), and spreading them out on O negates a lot of their perceived advantages. MSU doesn't have any of the freaks of nature like an Isaiah Jackson that UK has (plus even during Covid those Big Blue fans were noticeable in Nashville). There is that part of me that would like to knockout UK three times in a season, but mostly I just want Bama to win and advance.

Also did anyone else hear Dane Bradshaw's comment during one of the games yesterday? He's such a brutal Tennessee homer. He basically wanted to say he thinks Tenn is going to the SEC Championship game, because he thinks Bama can't beat MSU three in a row. He didn't really give a logical reason, just "a feeling" it seems, and didn't even address the fact that Tenn has to beat Florida. Tenn did just beat them in Knoxville, but also lost to Florida by 26 in Gainesville so it's not like it's a forgone conclusion the Vols are rolling through that game.

Anyway - I'll be wrapping up work by 10:30am and settling in for the day. Roll Tide

What is all this tired crap? These teams prepare all year for the Tournament and actually play in Tournaments during the year and play back to back days. Do not Buy the tired Crap unless a team goes into day three or four playing each day. And this playing at 11:00 excuses, there are two teams playing at that time. The better team is going to rise to the occasion and play like a Champ.

MSU lost both games to Bama in single digits and they playing for Blood! Bama better come out the gates playing for Blood also. The whole Tournament !

Bama shot like my 3rd grade girl’s team in their first time on a 10ft goal in that second grade...just putrid. Bama seemed to be getting back on track as Bruner and Q have gotten reaclimated. When those guys are playing well along with the rest of the team Bama has a lot of good players, just need them to show it in March...maybe April :)

Why would they put a #1 seed in that time slot? Anyway, hopefully with the extra rest we've had it will offset those 11 am slow starts.

Hopefully Oats can stay ahead of he game and keep plugging in needed quality players. KY is no doubt pissed and will out for blood next season. Maybe Miss State will lose Ado to the draft. That dude is a handful and then some.

Ado reminds me a lot of a player we had many years ago, I think his name was Roy Rogers and he erased any shot that came into the lane. He might not be the best Center in the League, but he is one hell of a Defensive player.

Have a feeling Petty and Quinnerly are going to light them up tomorrow. Those 2nd day legs will come into play after half.

These are 18 to 22 year old kids, many of whom spend eight hours a day in the gym, 365 days a year. You couldn't tire these kids out with five nineteen year old blondes.

What is all this tired crap? These teams prepare all year for the Tournament and actually play in Tournaments during the year and play back to back days. Do not Buy the tired Crap unless a team goes into day three or four playing each day. And this playing at 11:00 excuses, there are two teams playing at that time. The better team is going to rise to the occasion and play like a Champ.

MSU lost both games to Bama in single digits and they playing for Blood! Bama better come out the gates playing for Blood also. The whole Tournament !

I agree. Some of these kids were playing in AAU tournaments last year, playing in two or three run and shoot games a day. Like I said above, you could not tire these kids out if you put five hot blonde coeds in front of them.

I can promise you one thing, you will never see a Howland team get out physicaled. You had better come prepared to play a MissStake team and you better have the ice packs ready to recover when you finish. We were going to play either Kentucky or MissStake for the third time this season, so that does not matter, but I would point out that we had to fight our butts off to beat MissStake and we played Kentucky with an injure Herb Jones and without Quinnerly or Bruner and still cruised. I would have much rather played Kentucky.

If we are not ready from the start of this game or if Jones gets in foul trouble again, we will have a long day, but either way we will be banged up for the second game if we win.

I love me #4. I can't wait to see him play the next three years at Bama. He reminds me of Charles Barkley.

This is as physical a game as I have ever seen. No blood no foul, good Big Ten Basketball Referees.

Last edited:
Bama plays at noon tomorrow and if it wins the championship game is at noon Sunday.
It‘s probably best all our games have the early start times.

Ado reminds me a lot of a player we had many years ago, I think his name was Roy Rogers and he erased any shot that came into the lane. He might not be the best Center in the League, but he is one hell of a Defensive player.

These are 18 to 22 year old kids, many of whom spend eight hours a day in the gym, 365 days a year. You couldn't tire these kids out with five nineteen year old blondes.

I agree. Some of these kids were playing in AAU tournaments last year, playing in two or three run and shoot games a day. Like I said above, you could not tire these kids out if you put five hot blonde coeds in front of them.

I can promise you one thing, you will never see a Howland team get out physicaled. You had better come prepared to play a MissStake team and you better have the ice packs ready to recover when you finish. We were going to play either Kentucky or MissStake for the third time this season, so that does not matter, but I would point out that we had to fight our butts off to beat MissStake and we played Kentucky with an injure Herb Jones and without Quinnerly or Bruner and still cruised. I would have much rather played Kentucky.

If we are not ready from the start of this game or if Jones gets in foul trouble again, we will have a long day, but either way we will be banged up for the second game if we win.
85-49 Tide my friend.

85-49. Ran all day. Roll Tide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT