ADVERTISEMENT

Sense of Community

cardcrimson

All District
Silver Member
Aug 18, 2024
I grew up on, and again live on, the West Coast. That said, I have lived all over the US, including two stops in Nashville and Huntsville (where I met my wife), and have experienced a lot of local cultures, both good and challenging.

I'm a frequent contributor (doesn't mean a good or respected one) to my alma mater's sports forums. I've only recently joined this forum, and I'm amazed. Lots of great insights and the like, but it's different. So far, there have been two posts on injured HS quarterbacks asking for prayers of support; one not even from Alabama. Then there was the beautiful post with the team playing with 10-year-old fan Suzannah. So heartwarming and real. . . . .

In late June, we were here for Bama Bound. Before we headed to Tuscaloosa, we spent a night in Birmingham, as shopping was a priority. Though it was late, my daughter loves going for drives, and she asked to drive around Mountain Brook. So we spent an hour or so driving all the streets and looking at the homes. We noticed and were puzzled by all purple bows and ribbons adorning most of the mailboxes. A couple of days later, we learned that they were in tribute to, and support for, Lulu from Mountain Brook who had lost so much from a shark attack a week or so prior. Wonderful for us to see such community support.

The sense of community here is great. The sense of community in Alabama is great. The South, and Alabama in particular, is a different world. Great to be a part of it, again. Even better that my daughter is a part of it now, as well. She's loving it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News