ADVERTISEMENT

TAKE THREE: Alabama falls on the road to Miss St

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
First off, I hope y'all put to rest about my predictions being a jynx/reverse jynx. I didn't have a good feeling about tonight at all and it showed.

1.) Offensively challenged on the road is an understatement. Shooting 37% overall and 13% from 3 on the road while being out-rebounded by 7 is not the recipe for success on the road.

The key point in the game was when Giddens fouled out late in the 2nd half. It was a questionable call and there were a lot of them down the stretch, but that's what you get on the road.

Alabama did not deserve to win this game, but found themselves in position to win. It shows that this team is talented enough to win these games, but not consistent enough to win. Herb Jones had 1 point in 31 minutes and Dazon had 0 points, 0 assists, and 4 turnovers. Not going to have a good night offensively with those kind of numbers from key players.

2.) Defense was good for the most part. It seemed like MSU was taking, and making, a lot of tough shots all night. There's nothing you can do but tip your hat to them for that.

Giddens in foul trouble hurt protecting them rim and Hall was not 100% but played tough, but they were making high percentage shots all night. They realized their 3 shot was not on, and made the adjustment to start attacking.

Alabama had MSU in the double bonus with 8 minutes left, but chose to take tough jumpshots instead of attacking. Tonight was the night to get fouled as they made 24-30 FT's as a team. Aggressiveness was a big part of this game as MSU was, while Alabama was not.

3.) This is a game Alabama should've had, but one they were predicted to lose. Miss St is one of the hottest teams in the SEC and extremely tough to beat at home, which is the case with most SEC teams.

Miss St will move close to the bubble with this win, while Alabama will stay around the 9 seed line. I expect Alabama's RPI to fall to about 44 but their projected end of season SOS is 3. If it finishes as that and Alabama wins 3 more games, they will be safe.

A lot of people will panic saying there's no way the make it now, but that's not true. They need to find a way to win 3 more games and they will be fine. In years past, Alabama needed to win games down the stretch against the big teams to have a chance. This year, any kind of win will be suffice.

Alabama has the resume and great wins to make the tournament. They just need to show some sort of consistency. Big game this weekend for another elite win at home against Tennessee. Buckle Up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News