ADVERTISEMENT

TAKE THREE: Alabama stumbles against UCF

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
1)UCF wins 70-64. That was possibly the worst half of basketball I’ve ever watched when it comes to scoring. The first half set basketball back 30 years with how poor both teams shot, especially Alabama. Alabama had nearly 50% more rebounds and a lot more extra shots, but couldn’t do anything with them. Also, shooting below 20% with 21 attempts is beyond awful. Just a bad shooting night similar to last year’s meeting. Alabama getting off to slow starts has cost them two losses now as UCF did not play well early either, but they got comfortable later on in the game. The amount of poor shots and turnovers were indescribable for majority of the game.

2) Props to Alex Reese as he single handedly kept Alabama in this game. His stretch early in the 2nd half energized this team, and I feel like his work in the offseason losing 20 pounds has helped him tremendously. He looks faster, more confident shooting, and like a better all around player. This guy deserves a starting spot over Galin Smith, and I don’t think it’s close.

3) Alabama has to find its identity on offense. In recent weeks it looked like they found it and Kira Lewis was flourishing. However, it took a step back this game. When Kira could not get going, then the offense was stagnant and taking bad shots early on. It got better in the 2nd half with Kira and Reese being aggressive, but Donta Hall and Tevin Mack have to make consistent impacts. Donta finished nicely however with a double double, but he needs a full game effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News