ADVERTISEMENT

Take Three: Basketball Scrimmage vs. Ga. Tech

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I was not able to attend the scrimmage unfortunately due to work reasons, but I was able to listen to it and talk to some that were at the scrimmage.

1) The difference between this years team and teams of the past is effort and intensity. Guys diving on the floor first, harassing the ball handlers, and getting out and running to take the first best shot available. That last part has its pros and cons, but it is fun and if you can knock down shots it makes you a very tough team to compete with.

2) Kira is a first round draft pick if he can stay healthy, maybe even a lottery pick. He has everything you want in a PG. Energy, speed, good shot, and excellent IQ. It seems he has put on some weight and he is buying in to playing tough defense. That kid does things that coaches can’t teach. Just like Herb Jones. I truly believe he will be drafted if he can develop a good offense game. He reminds me a lot of Jaren Jackson Jr for the Memphis Grizzlies. Still very raw but is a top defensive player in the country.

3) It was evident the years that Avery was here that he did not work the players hard enough and instill a toughness within them. That was the first thing Oats did to the players by putting them through intense workouts and even a boot camp that brought the team closer together as well. One thing is for sure and that’s Alabama will not be out worked during games and they will make you earn it. It was good to see the free throw percentage up and a lot of 3 point shots put up. Welcome to a new era of Alabama basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News