ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-pointer: Three takeaways from Alabama's win against South Alabama

We have better players. I still say our offense needs to evolve. When we are making 3’s, it’s great. But we go through these stretches where we need a basket and sometimes we just need to find a shot…

Reactions: Codie B
My amateur take from this game:
- Bama’s length is visually very impressive. Just from a physical standout, they have a chance to be extremely good defensively.
- Brandon Miller is a special talent. I, honestly, can’t think of another Bama player in the past 40 years to compare him too. The closest I can come up with is Robert Horry.
- Very sloppy with the ball, especially later in the game. Turnovers at this rate will crush us against a good opponent.
- I keep hearing how good this team will be at shooting…still waiting to see it.
- Offense, like last year, bogs down if the first option doesn’t work. They need to be more fluid, which hopefully will come with more experience playing together, and again play smarter with the BB.
- I really like Oats offensively style, and maybe this is just me, but this team looks built to play a different style more often. With our length and athleticism, this team looks like it should play style a little more like our 80’s teams. We need to use those strengths more in the game, vs just chucking up shots.

Reactions: bet9 and lainey2020
- Bama’s length is visually very impressive. Just from a physical standout, they have a chance to be extremely good defensively.
- Brandon Miller is a special talent. I, honestly, can’t think of another Bama player in the past 40 years to compare him too. The closest I can come up with is Robert Horry.
- Very sloppy with the ball, especially later in the game. Turnovers at this rate will crush us against a good opponent.
- I keep hearing how good this team will be at shooting…still waiting to see it.
- Offense, like last year, bogs down if the first option doesn’t work. They need to be more fluid, which hopefully will come with more experience playing together, and again play smarter with the BB.
- I really like Oats offensively style, and maybe this is just me, but this team looks built to play a different style more often. With our length and athleticism, this team looks like it should play style a little more like our 80’s teams. We need to use those strengths more in the game, vs just chucking up shots.
300 th in the nation in both shooting from the field and also 3 point line. Near last in the nation. Unbelievable that again this basic concept “shooting” is so hard for just about anyone not named Miller, who dons a Bama jersey. I think that once again unfortunately , these early stats “history “say enough about the “future”. The good news is that we are long , play better than avg defense and can rebound a lot of our own missed shots when playing inferior competition. When you add in sloppy passing and turnovers the misery of attempting to watch doubles. Completely baffled by the lack of shooting fundamentals and basketball “IQ “judgement at this stage of their careers. Once again anybody who loves , coached or played this game past high school would have to agree this start to the year has been ( not wins and losses)dreadful and would be very disappointed. It has to get better fast or we all will have a long cold winter. Some teams and individuals play better against good competition mainly because of their focus. Hard to get up for the 3 powerhouses we have played. So the real season will start soon enough. Hope we are ready!

Don’t know about the wisdom of changing styles but otherwise agree. This team appears to have the potential to be a dominant defensive squad on the order of year before last. (I assume that we will never see another defensive team on the order of Wimp’s best.) Imagine the score in this game if we weren’t a turnover machine. My opinions are based on my one high school letter and years of pickup ball and therefore are not subject to challenge.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
lt is nice to know that when this team is cold shooting we can still win with rebounding and defense. Of course that will get harder as the competion rises and l know that.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT