ADVERTISEMENT

The goat next door

JMusso72

All American
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2023
I’ve just begun to like basketball. Yes, I’m here because of the success Alabama Basketball has had the last 3 years. I admit that if Alabama Basketball become mediocre I will loose interest. So, If you are hard core basketball then you can stop reading my opinion at this point.
It’s no doubt that Nate Oats has brought excitement to the program. He has some core beliefs on how the game should be played. Let’s dive into what separates Nick Saban & Coach Bryant to make both the goats of their time. Both were able to change, evolve with the game. Both brought in assistance coaches with different ideals. I hope this young coach isn’t so stuck on percentages that he will continue to not allow his players to shoot a mid-range for example. Playing top teams in the non conference season will expose him to different ideals. I just hope he is open enough to learn and like the goat next door, evolve.

Reactions: bamakay
I’ve just begun to like basketball. Yes, I’m here because of the success Alabama Basketball has had the last 3 years. I admit that if Alabama Basketball become mediocre I will loose interest. So, If you are hard core basketball then you can stop reading my opinion at this point.
It’s no doubt that Nate Oats has brought excitement to the program. He has some core beliefs on how the game should be played. Let’s dive into what separates Nick Saban & Coach Bryant to make both the goats of their time. Both were able to change, evolve with the game. Both brought in assistance coaches with different ideals. I hope this young coach isn’t so stuck on percentages that he will continue to not allow his players to shoot a mid-range for example. Playing top teams in the non conference season will expose him to different ideals. I just hope he is open enough to learn and like the goat next door, evolve.
If you backtrack on this board, you will see more than a few discussions/threads concerning "midrange jumpers." You state you have only become interested in Bama bb the last 3-years...are you saying you couldn't get behind bb during the Whimp tenure? How about C.M. Newton's time as HMFIC? If not, you have missed a lot of good bb.
RTR!!!!

If you backtrack on this board, you will see more than a few discussions/threads concerning "midrange jumpers." You state you have only become interested in Bama bb the last 3-years...are you saying you couldn't get behind bb during the Whimp tenure? How about C.M. Newton's time as HMFIC? If not, you have missed a lot of good bb.
RTR!!!!

He may mot be old enough to have been around during Newton’s and Sanderson’s times. His post suggests as much.

Reactions: cola68
Mid-range jumpers are statistically overrated!! 🙃 🙃 🙃
It sure worked for SDSU during the game with us and during the big 8. Yes I was a fan during the wimp years. No way would I have fired him for slapping his girl friend. That’s a problem between a man & a women. Shouldn’t include the university. All of oats timeouts was left in his pocket. Even Oat has said the game is made up of runs. To stop some of those runs he should have used his time outs. It takes a lot of testosterone to think you can wear down every Apponent.

Mid-range jumpers are statistically overrated!! 🙃 🙃 🙃
Yes, I keep hearing that the mid range jumper is over rated. But, you get in the final games of March Madness and there they are. Along with coaches that will call a time out to stop momentum. I hear that trying to drive a lay-up is over rated when you get into March.

No doubt Oates is an excellent Basketball Coach. No way l'm going to try and tell him how he needs to coach his team. His system has done really well at Bama and l personally believe it is a big help in recruiting top players.

I’m not saying he isn’t an excellent coach and he is the future of Bama basketball. But there was times in March that left me scratching my head asking why. Like refusing to call a time out to let the other team cool down and to reset his players. It’s almost like he was just hard headed. Asking Q to keep driving to the rim even when SDSU had a guy there that would block every shot. It’s almost like live or die with the 3 pointer.

Yes, I keep hearing that the mid range jumper is over rated. But, you get in the final games of March Madness and there they are. Along with coaches that will call a time out to stop momentum. I hear that trying to drive a lay-up is over rated when you get into March.
🙃=sarcasm. 😉

Well said!

Reactions: bet9
It sure worked for SDSU during the game with us and during the big 8. Yes I was a fan during the wimp years. No way would I have fired him for slapping his girl friend. That’s a problem between a man & a women. Shouldn’t include the university. All of oats timeouts was left in his pocket. Even Oat has said the game is made up of runs. To stop some of those runs he should have used his time outs. It takes a lot of testosterone to think you can wear down every Apponent.
Wimp slapped his long time administrative assistant whom with he had a long term affair. Completely involved the University who had very little choice in letting him go.

Reactions: bet9 and GOBAMA100
I feel that many on this board feels that basketball has been unsupported by the university when compared to the football improvements. Alabama football has always been the cash cow of the athletic budget. Supporting all other sports. If you disagree at this point stop reading.
We have the mother of all goats next door that supports Alabama basketball. He attended almost all of our home games last year. He has changed and evolved, and this year will be evolving again. Nate Oats should be picking Nick Sabans example while it is at his fingertips. Explore the basics of fast basketball versus slowing down the game. Calling time outs when needed. Mixing in a mid range jumper verses a lay up. Movement even in the paint. Again going from fast to slow. Giving to opponents more to plan for. That I feel is how to get past the sweet sixteen. If you look at other sports great boxers were able to advance by mixing their styles except maybe Tyson who reached a point but fell short. No pun intended. Punch hard then move into defense. Call a time out when needed. Then move to face pace when momentum is on your side.

Last edited:
Wimp slapped his long time administrative assistant whom with he had a long term affair. Completely involved the University who had very little choice in letting him go.
Should have fired her 1st then slapped her.

“One never knows sometimes.” Is that Confucius? Kamala Harris? Carl Yung? Cal Naughton Jr? Or a new philosophical enlightenment? Regardless, you should print t-shirts with this and sell then.

I’m just bored on the longest flight in the world. 18 and a half hours.

Roll Tide.

“One never knows sometimes.” Is that Confucius? Kamala Harris? Carl Yung? Cal Naughton Jr? Or a new philosophical enlightenment? Regardless, you should print t-shirts with this and sell then.

I’m just bored on the longest flight in the world. 18 and a half hours.

Roll Tide.
Enjoy the down time of your flight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT