ADVERTISEMENT

Theory On Officials

sashakodie

All American
Feb 6, 2007
Osprey, Fl.
As a member of the Boards Old Farts Club, I can say this without fear of reprisal...not sure my contemporaries will agree with me, but here goes...

I really believe that the officials are too old and slow to keep pace with the modern game of football...when the game was played in a sand box, it was a much easier job...today the game is spread sideline to sideline and teams go at warp speed...I really feel they have a problem keeping up, and therefore being as effective as they need to be...

If I had my way, the officials would all be 35-45 year old guys that had to be ex collegiate athletes, in tremendous physical condition, have played the game at a high enough level to understand the concepts, and have unparalleled knowledge of the game...

I would also make these positions full time, and have these guys in class during the week studying film, and also going through physical training to keep them in shape...they would be required to attend a month long summer camp, at which time they would get completely prepared for the season...let's face it, the economics are there within the game to fund this initiative...maybe they start out with one conference as a test, and move on to the Power 5 once the kinks are worked out...

I think there is way too much at stake these days for us to have Accountants, High School Principals, Insurance Salesman, and other executives who work full time, control the outcome of these contests...BTW, I think the NFL should do it also as the officiating up there is just as bad, if not worse IMO...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News