ADVERTISEMENT

This is Bound to Change the Future of Our Basketball Team and Possibly Basketball Program

lainey2020

All American
Gold Member
May 15, 2022
l certainly don't know all the facts and don't pretend to. We all know the National Media is not going to let up on this. Some calling for Oats to be fired and saying he has covered it up to this point. All wanting Miller and Bradley suspended.

l don't think Miller is guilty of crime pertaining to the young woman's death, but this is going to create problems. Be interesting to see if anything comes down before tomorrow nights game. What a damn mess.

By the way l don't know how all this media mess is going to affect recruiting. l do know it is not going to help. May have a lasting effect on our program for years to come. The damn media is not going to let this go anytime soon.

It sucks. I hate it for our team and program. Hate it for the victim and her family. I had totally forgot about this till today. I do think it is an overreaction. If Brandon Miller wasn’t a top 5 pick, I don’t think the media would care as much. They sure let it calm down when it was just Miles. A lot of dumb decisions were made by several people.

I think the conversation or text exchange between brandon and Darius would be necessary for me to make a decision here.

If it’s determined, bringing the gun was for safety or for something more sinister would sway me one way or another

It does not appear good to me though ..I’d be ok with a suspension because things won’t end well any way based on this report

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
I think the conversation or text exchange between brandon and Darius would be necessary for me to make a decision here.

If it’s determined, bringing the gun was for safety or for something more sinister would sway me one way or another

It does not appear good to me though ..I’d be ok with a suspension because things won’t end well any way based on this report
I'm glad the authorities are involved because I'm biased.

But hasn't it already been determined by the authorities. The media is serving as an investigator with no facts in the case. He's a free man. This whole thing today has been driven by the stinkin' media.

I know one thing. This board was quick to want to sentence two players and a coach and issue a conviction and punishment. Two players who were not charged with any crimes by Tuscaloosa PD / DA, and a Coach with a poor choice of word usage.
People want players suspended based on a poorly wrote article and assumptions made by poor wording in article. And we are amazed at how many people serve time in prison who did not commit the crime. Look at the people who make up the juries.

I know one thing. This board was quick to want to sentence two players and a coach and issue a conviction and punishment. Two players who were not charged with any crimes by Tuscaloosa PD / DA, and a Coach with a poor choice of word usage.
People want players suspended based on a poorly wrote article and assumptions made by poor wording in article. And we are amazed at how many people serve time in prison who did not commit the crime. Look at the people who make up the juries.
I was one of them, but in hindsight, I should know better than to be so naive to believe most news sources in today’s media. The first article read like all these words came from the DA’s mouth, which was not true. In a jury trial, though, you get to hear both sides of the story, and it does not involve the slanted, or in some cases truly made up story from the media.

I was one of them, but in hindsight, I should know better than to be so naive to believe most news sources in today’s media. The first article read like all these words came from the DA’s mouth, which was not true. In a jury trial, though, you get to hear both sides of the story, and it does not involve the slanted, or in some cases truly made up story from the media.

Hey, more facts may surface, who knows. The loss of the young mother can never be changed and that is the true pain. But unless new information surfaces, Miller and Bradley appear to be innocent. JMO
Today's society ( me included ), seems to convict now on just poor American Journalist articles or social media post. Real American Journalism is a thing of the past.

It would be awesome if we had access to "The Timeline" of the events. Probably won't get anything of that sort because of the case.

It sucks. I hate it for our team and program. Hate it for the victim and her family. I had totally forgot about this till today. I do think it is an overreaction. If Brandon Miller wasn’t a top 5 pick, I don’t think the media would care as much. They sure let it calm down when it was just Miles. A lot of dumb decisions were made by several people.
I couldn’t hit like, because I don’t like what I am hearing, but you hit the nail on the head.

My problem is the media has convicted us from coast to coast. l just hope our program will not be harmed from it.

l also wonder if the guy driving the vehicle that the woman was killed in does not need to be charged as well. lt sounds to me like a 2-way gun fight where a woman was killed. l doubt she was the intended target. My heart goes out to her family.

l certainly don't know all the facts and don't pretend to. We all know the National Media is not going to let up on this. Some calling for Oats to be fired and saying he has covered it up to this point. All wanting Miller and Bradley suspended.

l don't think Miller is guilty of crime pertaining to the young woman's death, but this is going to create problems. Be interesting to see if anything comes down before tomorrow nights game. What a damn mess.

By the way l don't know how all this media mess is going to affect recruiting. l do know it is not going to help. May have a lasting effect on our program for years to come. The damn media is not going to let this go anytime soon.
I think a lot of media personalities and outlets are going to get sued big time!!!!

My problem is the media has convicted us from coast to coast. l just hope our program will not be harmed from it.

l also wonder if the guy driving the vehicle that the woman was killed in does not need to be charged as well. lt sounds to me like a 2-way gun fight where a woman was killed. l doubt she was the intended target. My heart goes out to her family.
Laney; I don't know how you reconcile all of the versions of the shooting that I have heard. If the scenario set out by Miller's Attorney matches the video, which I do not know, then we have Johnson laying in wait and it looks like he was trying to ambush Miles and Davis. If the Police version is right, we have an intentional murder by Davis. If the version of Miles and Davis is right, we have mass confusion and an unintentional murder. If the version set out by Miller's attorney matches the video, then the Felony Murder Rule would clearly apply and Johnson would be equally guilty. If a Murder occurs during the commission of a Felony and you have reason to believe that the murder is possible, then you are guilty of murder. i.e. there is a crowd of bystanders and you engage in an intentional shooting and a bystander is murdered, your intent is transferred to the victim. I could see where Johnson could be charged. I have no idea which version is true, and/or if the video will clear the confusion. I totally expect that there is a fourth and fifth version of the events.
I think a lot of media personalities and outlets are going to get sued big time!!!!
For what? Although I think Miller has been greatly harmed, Miller is a public figure and as such, one would have to prove an intentional or willful disregard of the facts in the reporting of the events, with the intent to harm Miller. That may be the hardest thing in the world to prove.. As an attorney, I would definitely advise Miller to count his lucky stars that none of the 12 shots hit him and that he has not been charged. There is no Limitations on an Action for murder in Alabama and the Statute of Limitations in a wrongful death action is two years and the period could be extended until the majority of the child for the loss of his mother. I would say leave it alone and hope it is forgotten.
Sued for what exactly?
Defamation of Character, with malice. See my response above. I think Miller could find an attorney that would bring the action; however, if he came to me I would tell him to leave it alone and count your lucky stars that you were not killed by a stray shot and/or charged with a crime. As an attorney, I would never have made a public comment if I represented Miller and I would get my client as far away from the crime as possible. Los Angeles, Golden State and Portland would not be far enough away. The bad news for Brandon is that for the next two years, every time Brandon appears 16 years, every time Brandon appears on TV the child is going to be reminded that he lost his mother and the Statute of Limitations on a Wrongful Death Action could well be determined to be two years from the child reaching the age of majority. Brandon's attorney appears to be saying that Brandon did not know about the altercation in the Bar when he came to pick up Miles. Brandon did not know about Johnson went the second altercation started on Grace Street. Everything happened so fast that there was nothing Brandon could do to stop the incident. The video will either confirm that everything happened so fast that there was nothing Brandon could do or it will not.

Last edited:
Reactions: lainey2020 and xcop
Laney; I don't know how you reconcile all of the versions of the shooting that I have heard. If the scenario set out by Miller's Attorney matches the video, which I do not know, then we have Johnson laying in wait and it looks like he was trying to ambush Miles and Davis. If the Police version is right, we have an intentional murder by Davis. If the version of Miles and Davis is right, we have mass confusion and an unintentional murder. If the version set out by Miller's attorney matches the video, then the Felony Murder Rule would clearly apply and Johnson would be equally guilty. If a Murder occurs during the commission of a Felony and you have reason to believe that the murder is possible, then you are guilty of murder. i.e. there is a crowd of bystanders and you engage in an intentional shooting and a bystander is murdered, your intent is transferred to the victim. I could see where Johnson could be charged. I have no idea which version is true, and/or if the video will clear the confusion. I totally expect that there is a fourth and fifth version of the events.

For what? Although I think Miller has been greatly harmed, Miller is a public figure and as such, one would have to prove an intentional or willful disregard of the facts in the reporting of the events, with the intent to harm Miller. As an attorney, I would definitely advise Miller to count his lucky stars that none of the 12 shots hit him and that he has not been charged. There is no Limitations on an Action for murder in Alabama and the Statute of Limitations in a wrongful death action is two years and the period could be extended until the majority of the child for the loss of his mother. I would say leave it alone and hope it is forgotten.

Defamation of Character, with malice. See my response above. I think Miller could find an attorney that would bring the action; however, if he came to me I would tell him to leave it alone and count your lucky stars that you were not killed by a stray shot and/or charged with a crime. As an attorney, I would never have made a public comment if I represented Miller and I would get my client as far away from the crime as possible. Los Angeles, Golden State and Portland would not be far enough away. The bad news for Brandon is that for the next two years, every time Brandon appears 16 years, every time Brandon appears on TV the child is going to be reminded that he lost his mother and the Statute of Limitations on a Wrongful Death Action could well be determined to be two years from the child reaching the age of majority. Brandon's attorney appears to be saying that Brandon did not know about the altercation in the Bar when he came to pick up Miles. Brandon did not know about Johnson went the second altercation started on Grace Street. Everything happened so fast that there was nothing Brandon could do to stop the incident. The video will either confirm that everything happened so fast that there was noting Brandon could do or it will not.
Brandon was lucky he didn’t become the next Benji Wilson.

Brandon was lucky he didn’t become the next Benji Wilson.
and that my friend is the rest of the story. Two bullet holes in Miller's windshield point that out.

We all know that nothing good happens on Saturday Night after 12:00; however, as XCop has told us 'The Strip' has become a very dangerous place. It is time for the merchants on the strip to clean the place up and/or for the University to formally declare the Strip off limits to students.

By off limits, the University would be declaring that they believe 'The Strip' is to dangerous for students and that it is highly recommended that students stay away from the strip and that the University is not going to take responsibility for anything that happens when students are on 'The Strip' and that the University encourages people to avoid 'The Strip' I bet you that the City of Tuscaloosa and the Merchants would clean the place up within a week.

It is obvious that an outside element has taken over 'The Strip' and that students are not safe there late at night, so I think a formal declaration is probably in order. I think that is what XCop tried to tell all of us in the fall.

In Columbia, South Carolina, they had the same type of problem in Five Points and the Police cleaned the area up with the aid of merchants. The Police started having regular visits to Bars and arresting any minors caught in the Bars and the University would put sanctions on any student arrested. Five Points is still rough, but not like fifteen years ago.

The Alabama Legislature has not made things any easier for law enforcement, since concealed carry without a permit is now lawful in Alabama. Every Sheriff in the State fought that change in the law.

When Tuscaloosa and the University see the need to put 30-40 Police Officers on 'The Strip' every night, I think that says loads about the safety of 'The Strip". New Police On "The Strip' That tells me that TPD feels that at the present time they have a need of putting 50% of their force on the street in the 'The Strip', and that is a very small area compared to the rest of the City. Tuscaloosa has just under 300 Police Officers manning three shifts, with each officer working 5 days a week, meaning each shift has basically less than 70 officers.

I think the Strip takes up to many resources not to have major changes.

Last edited:

One thing is for sure my friend and that’s Miller fed the media a big fat turd sandwich last night.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

One thing is for sure my friend and that’s Miller fed the media a big fat turd sandwich last night.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
The person that decided to bring Miles back on the team from last year after his stupid moves he pulled then, and the man responsible for cost the school 5million to get rid of Avery Johnson, then gives Oats a new deal needs his ass ran off!

But hasn't it already been determined by the authorities. The media is serving as an investigator with no facts in the case. He's a free man. This whole thing today has been driven by the stinkin' media.
Yes, my response was prior to other things being revealed.
My stance has changed.

As of right now Miller, Coach Oates, and the University of Alabama are unfairly being drug through the mud all over the college basketball world. l just hope this media mob does not end up doing permament damage to our program.

l am of course very sorry that someone lost their life. l don't believe she was the intended target and that the driver of the car she was in should probably be charged as well.

Reactions: Sheerperfection
As of right now Miller, Coach Oates, and the University of Alabama are unfairly being drug through the mud all over the college basketball world. l just hope this media mob does not end up doing permament damage to our program.

l am of course very sorry that someone lost their life. l don't believe she was the intended target and that the driver of the car she was in should probably be charged as well.
He drove her to the scene and was attempting to “defend her honor” not once but a second time. I would say, he started it. He passed an opportunity to go home.

He drove her to the scene and was attempting to “defend her honor” not once but a second time. I would say, he started it. He passed an opportunity to go home.
ccintn, the story is actually worse than you stated, but you are getting the drift. Johnson says he left the bar, went and got something to eat, allegedly brought it back to the car, where he stopped and waited in his parked vehicle with his blinkers on. The facts say, Johnson suddenly decided to be parked behind Miller, when Miller came to pick up Miles and Davis. Johnson just happened to have a loaded pistol and cartridges with him in the front seat when Miles and Davis came to the car Dancing and Drunk. It was then that Johnson decided to get into another altercation with Davis. The facts will probably show that Johnson, following leaving the bar had enough time to get 20 miles away, before the second altercation.

Personally, I cannot understand why TPD has not charged Johnson, with a crime; however, I have not seen the video evidence and I presume the Detectives have.

Things the Press is not reporting that the authorities know. Miller was already driving to pick up Miles when the text was sent to Miller. There is no proof that Miller even read the text before picking up Miles and Davis. There is absolutely no proof that Miller knew the weapon was in his vehicle before Davis grabbed the weapon. The Timeline matches Miller’s version of the story and does not match Johnson’s or Davis' version. Over the years in defending over 50 murder cases with a 60+% win rate, I learned that the jury is probably going to rule against the first side it catches in a lie. The State has the first chance to get caught in a lie. Johnson, unless backed up by video evidence is not going to be a good witness. If there is not a Capital Murder conviction, Miles must be found not guilty. The only thing Miles can be charged with is supplying the weapon used in a Capital Murder, and that would net a Murder One conviction. Unless the video totally backs Johnson’s version, they will have a very hard time getting a Capital Murder and/or Murder One Conviction. Manslaughter is a different story and if that happens, Miles probably gets a directed verdict of not guilty.

Last edited:
ccintn, the story is actually worse than you stated, but you are getting the drift. Johnsonsays he left the bar, went and got something to eat, allegedly brought it back to the car, where he stopped and waited in his parked vehicle with his blinkers on. The facts say, Johnson suddenly decided to be parked behind Miller, when Miller came to pick up Miles and Davis. Johnson just happened to have a loaded pistol and cartridges with him in the front seat when Miles and Davis came to the car Dancing and Drunk. It was then that Johnson decided to get into another altercation with Davis. The facts will probably show that Johnson, following leaving the bar had enough time to get 20 miles away, before the second altercation.

Personally, I cannot understand why TPD has not charged Johnson, with a crime; however, I have not seen the video evidence and I presume the Detectives have.

Things the Press is not reporting that the authorities know. Miller was already driving to pick up Miles when the text was sent to Miller. There is no proof that Miller even read the text before picking up Miles and Davis. There is absolutely no proof that Miller knew the weapon was in his vehicle before Davis grabbed the weapon. The Timeline matches Miller’s version of the story and does not match Johnson’s or Davis. Over the years in defending over 50 murder cases with a 60+% win rate, I learned that the jury is probably going to rule against the first side it catches in a lie. The State has the first chance to get caught in a lie. Johnson, unless backed up by video evidence is not going to be a good witness. If there is not a Capital Murder conviction, Miles must be found not guilty. The only thing Miles can be charged with is supplying the weapon used in a Capital Murder, and that would net a Murder One conviction. Unless the video totally backs Johnson’s version, they will have a very hard time getting a Capital Murder and/or Murder One Conviction. Manslaughter is a different story and if that happens, Miles probably gets a directed verdict of not guilty.
This event has more twist and turns than a Sherlock Holmes whodoneit!

Reactions: lainey2020
ccintn, the story is actually worse than you stated, but you are getting the drift. Johnsonsays he left the bar, went and got something to eat, allegedly brought it back to the car, where he stopped and waited in his parked vehicle with his blinkers on. The facts say, Johnson suddenly decided to be parked behind Miller, when Miller came to pick up Miles and Davis. Johnson just happened to have a loaded pistol and cartridges with him in the front seat when Miles and Davis came to the car Dancing and Drunk. It was then that Johnson decided to get into another altercation with Davis. The facts will probably show that Johnson, following leaving the bar had enough time to get 20 miles away, before the second altercation.

Things the Press is not reporting that the authorities know. Miller was already driving to pick up Miles when the text was sent to Miller. There is no proof that Miller even read the text before picking up Miles and Davis. There is absolutely no proof that Miller knew the weapon was in his vehicle before Davis grabbed the weapon. The Timeline matches Miller’s version of the story and does not match Johnson’s or Davis. Over the years in defending over 50 murder cases with a 60+% win rate, I learned that the jury is probably going to rule against the first side it catches in a lie. The State has the first chance to get caught in a lie. Johnson, unless backed up by video evidence is not going to be a good witness. If there is not a Capital Murder conviction, Miles must be found not guilty. The only thing Miles can be charged with is supplying the weapon used in a Capital Murder, and that would net a Murder One conviction. Unless the video totally backs Johnson’s version, they will have a very hard time getting a Capital Murder and/or Murder One Conviction. Manslaughter is a different story and if that happens, Miles probably gets a directed verdict of not guilty.
I was on double homicide, arson with both bodies, drugs, fire arms, tampering with evidence, on and on. Lasted two weeks, second trial. We nailed him on all counts except intent to commit robbery. He’s gone for a long time. The DA got greedy the first time and pushed his luck. Knowing he was guilty was easy. Convincing two overly educated, woke, young people he was guilty was the hard part. After the trial the Baliff told us the the defendant‘s whole history. Bad person, psycho, went through city jail, county jail, Nashville jail, Tennessee big house, crazy house, etc. injured 11 law enforcement personnel and himself (self imposed) Uupon hearing this, one hesitant juror thanked us for being patient while she figured it out and the other said “ I thought I was smarter than I am”

This event has more twist and turns than a Sherlock Holmes whodoneit!
I don’t think the “case” is taking twist and turns. I think unknown facts and people “supposing” what happened are being posted and often read a day later and by that time new info gets released and the pony express leaves the proverbial 10% totally confused, then they are what is twisting and turning. The case has been constant as far as the data that law enforcement has collected. All these national level experts are just full of envy, jealousy, hate, sensationalism, and crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT