ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Oats

He waited way too long to bring JQ and Ellis back into the game late.

We have Rojas closing games and taking 3s.

Oats standing there with a minute left and yells “shoot it” with 2 timeouts in pocket.
Oats has been inadequate in game management situations .. he did call a TO when vandy cut it to 7 .
I was shocked.

Let’s face it .. this team sucks. Depends on too many undependable players.

It’s on all of them. Players coaches everybody. Team doesn’t know how to win. Players cower down when they have a chance to go take a game.
Sad to watch the same scenario most every game down the stretch. No one with the ability to lead the team. Not a go to guy on the team. Second half of the season was down hill!

Reactions: BaselineLeaner4
Sad to watch the same scenario most every game down the stretch. No one with the ability to lead the team. Not a go to guy on the team. Second half of the season was down hill!
We just lost that it factor that makes the winning plays when you have chance to win a game or knock a team out by expanding a lead. We have shit down our leg repeatedly recently. A lot of the issues earlier on were effort. Recently it’s stupidity and just choke jobs.

Reactions: pfaud001 and Bhug
But so many of our members are really impressed by Oats. They believe in him and really like his NBA (I hate to tell them but it is not an NBA style) style of play!! I’ll be interested to see which 9, 10 or 11 seed is going to hand us our next loss.

But so many of our members are really impressed by Oats. They believe in him and really like his NBA (I hate to tell them but it is not an NBA style) style of play!! I’ll be interested to see which 9, 10 or 11 seed is going to hand us our next loss.
Would you rather go back to the NIT? It’s unbelievable how many fans can’t stand a coach that has our program where it’s at coming off a 12 year stretch where we played 3 total ncaa tournament games

Its on Oats but IMO because he didn't open the game up working the officials over every single call. He had to know the officials would repeat what we saw in Nashville and got in their ear until they had to toss him a tech. Then ride them up to the edge of getting tossed.

I agree though that he should have stopped the game earlier to get our foul trouble guys back out there. And that he seemed at a loss for what to do once Vandy got up 2 scores and was still getting to the free throw line on about every trip.

30 fouls called on us and 45 free throws for Vandy. Unfathomable for a 40 minute game with no overtime.

When you can play defense it works. Last year we had a couple of senior leaders that were dogs on defense. Herb was guarding Ja Morant last night as a rookie. Im watching the NBA right now and it is an NBA system. Teams want to run. They want paint touches by their guards. Thats Oats style. But its hit or miss and you have to play good defense. Also helps not making dumb turnovers. I question no half court offense too but at the same time I want Oats to stick around for a long time. Next year we have some 2 way guys coming in thags going to help. Last year Shack just had to worry about knocking down shots and Q came off the bench with not as much pressure on him.

Reactions: TideFever
When you can play defense it works. Last year we had a couple of senior leaders that were dogs on defense. Herb was guarding Ja Morant last night as a rookie. Im watching the NBA right now and it is an NBA system. Teams want to run. They want paint touches by their guards. Thats Oats style. But its hit or miss and you have to play good defense. Also helps not making dumb turnovers. I question no half court offense too but at the same time I want Oats to stick around for a long time. Next year we have some 2 way guys coming in thags going to help. Last year Shack just had to worry about knocking down shots and Q came off the bench with not as much pressure on him.
I thought our half court offense was so good tonight for 25 minutes. It’s so strange to me how all the sudden we are completely lost

I thought our half court offense was so good tonight for 25 minutes. It’s so strange to me how all the sudden we are completely lost
I think it was really good because we were able to run some because we got stops on defense. Easier to get good looks when the other team is trying to catch up after a missed shot. Like we were in the 2nd half lol

Sold!!! He’ll need serious TP help to go along with his excellent recruiting class to make it work. I am pulling for him but I am not holding my bad breath…RTR

Reactions: majorwood482
He waited way too long to bring JQ and Ellis back into the game late.

We have Rojas closing games and taking 3s.

Oats standing there with a minute left and yells “shoot it” with 2 timeouts in pocket.
You are so right! I was screaming for a huge contract to keep Oats from getting poached by another school lol. He has done a piss poor job and I can only see one player that has marginally improved this year. Averaging 15 turnovers a game says it all. I believe in miracles so maybe things will turn around next year.

Sold!!! He’ll need serious TP help to go along with his excellent recruiting class to make it work. I am pulling for him but I am not holding my bad breath…RTR
Should get Bediako, Burnett, Gary?, Miles?, Holt?, and Shack? Back to go along with a strong class. We need to hit jackpot on atleast 1, hopefully 2 portal guys. The portal has become pivotal in building an elite roster. Kentucky and auburn feasted this year.

Should get Bediako, Burnett, Gary?, Miles?, Holt?, and Shack? Back to go along with a strong class. We need to hit jackpot on atleast 1, hopefully 2 portal guys. The portal has become pivotal in building an elite roster. Kentucky and auburn feasted this year.
Burnett too. I have a feeling that Miles doesn’t come back.

If the system is hinging on have a Herb Jones on defense, we will struggle. Herb’s are walking around everywhere in terms of what he provides on the defensive end.
My issue with our defense is, we can’t guard the ball. These guys aren’t great at it, bottom line. So why can’t we adjust? If the guards can’t guard the ball, why are they pressuring the ball 100% of the time, no matter what. Pick it up a little further back, back off a little bit and give yourself at least a little cushion.

Foul trouble takes away your ability to defend. When your scorers are in foul trouble,it takes away your ability to score.
We have no scoring depth. It's as simple as that.
Also, the offense should run through Keon and not the other 2 guys.

Reactions: TideFever
I'm really only interested in 3 of those guys returning. Bediako, Burnett, and Holt. And honestly I'm really only interested in Burnett because of all the hype from all the people on this board.

If the system is hinging on have a Herb Jones on defense, we will struggle. Herb’s are walking around everywhere in terms of what he provides on the defensive end.
My issue with our defense is, we can’t guard the ball. These guys aren’t great at it, bottom line. So why can’t we adjust? If the guards can’t guard the ball, why are they pressuring the ball 100% of the time, no matter what. Pick it up a little further back, back off a little bit and give yourself at least a little cushion.
I agree. At some point last night i would have switched to zone

Reactions: Bhug
I wonder how many Pizza's the team ate at halftime because they sure were full of themselves the second half.
Best thing about this loss is that it is over for this group and that include an inept coaching staff were embarrassing as it comes television announcers calling out Bama players for not knowing how to run plays. That is on the coaching staff and on the team as a whole.
I am not a Fair Weather Fan and Last year was rewarding but I am beginning to lose some faith in Oates and his coaching staff and I will not watch this team in the NIT. He better go find him some BALLERS!

I wonder how many Pizza's the team ate at halftime because they sure were full of themselves the second half.
Best thing about this loss is that it is over for this group and that include an inept coaching staff were embarrassing as it comes television announcers calling out Bama players for not knowing how to run plays. That is on the coaching staff and on the team as a whole.
I am not a Fair Weather Fan and Last year was rewarding but I am beginning to lose some faith in Oates and his coaching staff and I will not watch this team in the NIT. He better go find him some BALLERS!

you’re not wrong in a lot of areas, but one point that I’ve seen by a few posters on this board that is just wrong - there is 0% chance that this team is playing in the NIT. We are SAFELY in the NCAA Tournament.

Buddy we are going to the ncaa tournament.. 6 or 7 seed. Hang in there. It’s been a disastrous March So far but teams like ours have randomly come alive in the dance for 30+ years. It’s what the tournament is made of

Reactions: pfaud001
you’re not wrong in a lot of areas, but one point that I’ve seen by a few posters on this board that is just wrong - there is 0% chance that this team is playing in the NIT. We are SAFELY in the NCAA Tournament.
It’s absolutely bizarre to me. I think some have never paid very close attention to the selection process. My dad wouldn’t let it go last night that not getting to 20 wins will drop us from 5 seed to out of the tournament. I finally just stopped replying

Reactions: OatsMeal
Buddy we are going to the ncaa tournament.. 6 or 7 seed. Hang in there. It’s been a disastrous March So far but teams like ours have randomly come alive in the dance for 30+ years. It’s what the tournament is made of
Well Buddy, you wrote on another thread "YOU HATE BASKETBALL" , so you watching the one and done Tide in whatever Tournament they get into?

Lol yea. I know it doesn’t come through on here but I’m extremely light hearted and sarcastic on the game threads.
I know we all that follow Bama was extremely disappointed after a very good first half and it has lately become the norm for this team. For the life of me I would have would have liked to have been in the locker room and seen and heard what was said at the half and after the game. It was like the whole team said "Screw it".

I know we all that follow Bama was extremely disappointed after a very good first half and it has lately become the norm for this team. For the life of me I would have would have liked to have been in the locker room and seen and heard what was said at the half and after the game. It was like the whole team said "Screw it".
The team was tore up post game. They want to win. I completely understand that it looks like they don’t care sometimes. They want to win and have crumbled under the weight of expectations. A lot of our guys go in the tank at the first sign of adversity. We have developed a “here we go again” mentality. Impossible to shake without that alpha Dog Star to prevent it and keep guys heads right. It’s a good time for a roster overhaul and I’m not a guy that just hates all our players

Sloppy and careless passes coupled with losing the ball off the dribble seem to be the reason behind most of our problems in regards to turnovers which have become s signature for this team.
Lapses in playing hard defense and shooting don't help either.
I think the most damaging thing however is the absence of leadership in the player ranks.
Not sure this team can get past these problems to make any noise in the tournament. Can only hope our recruiting class and transfer guys bring someone in to lead these guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT