ADVERTISEMENT

This team plays hard

I think we lost this one more than we got beat. We should’ve won going away. Really disappointed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Memphis is as talented as any team in the country and they were rested and desperate for a win on their ugly @ss blue floor. I think the head-scratcher is how did that roster lose 4 games in a row before playing us? Something is messed up with them, but no doubt when they pull it together they can beat anyone. They had a guy make a few 30-footers in a row in the 2nd half when they built their double digit lead, and essentially got us to play pickup ball and probably played their best game as a program in the last few years. We're a top-10 team, so that draws fans to the arena and we get people's best shot now. Bummer to lose, but we're now 8-2 with the # 1 SOS in the nation. Should be 10-2 going into SEC play and we should have a decent shot at a 1 or 2 seed by the end of the regular season if we keep this us.

Some nights your shots are not falling, like last night but the thing that concerned me was Houston and Memphis winning the rebound battle both offensively and defensively. Plus Memphis just flat out woke up and their talent exploded and we did not step it up to challenge them.
The other thing I hate hearing is the Fatigue or Tired excuse. Sure not all players are going to be full of Piss and Vinegar every night but all these guys want to be NBA players that basically play very night whereas College basketball plays two games a week. I just hate the Fatigue factor excuse when one loses. If they all want to be one of the Big Dogs down the road, physically prepare.

Some nights your shots are not falling, like last night but the thing that concerned me was Houston and Memphis winning the rebound battle both offensively and defensively. Plus Memphis just flat out woke up and their talent exploded and we did not step it up to challenge them.
The other thing I hate hearing is the Fatigue or Tired excuse. Sure not all players are going to be full of Piss and Vinegar every night but all these guys want to be NBA players that basically play very night whereas College basketball plays two games a week. I just hate the Fatigue factor excuse when one loses. If they all want to be one of the Big Dogs down the road, physically prepare.
I think we ran into a tough stretch with those two teams in a row. Memphis has a better rebounding rating than Houston. I don't think we're actually a bad rebounding team, but just got punked against two teams who hang their hat on offensive boards. Good news is we still found a way to beat one of them.

I don't know if we're a legit top 10 team or not. Maybe so, maybe not. But no doubt we are a legit top 25 team and will likely be at least a 5 seed going into the NCAA tournament. That is incredible compared to the last 15 years of Bama hoops.

I think we ran into a tough stretch with those two teams in a row. Memphis has a better rebounding rating than Houston. I don't think we're actually a bad rebounding team, but just got punked against two teams who hang their hat on offensive boards. Good news is we still found a way to beat one of them.

I don't know if we're a legit top 10 team or not. Maybe so, maybe not. But no doubt we are a legit top 25 team and will likely be at least a 5 seed going into the NCAA tournament. That is incredible compared to the last 15 years of Bama hoops.
Oh, I like this Bama Team and as we all know we play lots of games to improve and by Tourmament this team should be one tough bunch.
Memphis played out their butts last night with some of the shots that fell for them. We could not make a run. They always answered. Tough lost.

We usually play with great effort, but we didn't last night. We gave up more dunks than a glass of buttermilk in my grandmother's kitchen when there was a batch of freshly made cornbread. That doesn't happen if you're focused and into the game. Oats mentioned this in his post game presser. He said Memphis had 20 more hustle points than we did. For whatever reason we just didn't bring it last night.

We usually play with great effort, but we didn't last night. We gave up more dunks than a glass of buttermilk in my grandmother's kitchen when there was a batch of freshly made cornbread. That doesn't happen if you're focused and into the game. Oats mentioned this in his post game presser. He said Memphis had 20 more hustle points than we did. For whatever reason we just didn't bring it last night.
You nailed it. We played with lack of enthusiasm and energy, which is surprising considering ESPN showed a graphic that there were like 22 NBA teams there with scouts.

Reactions: bet9
We need to work on our pick and roll defense and blocking out. That was evident the last two games.
This ^^^
In the last two games we were eaten alive with the pick & roll after switching defensively and blocking out appears to be a foreign language. On a positive note, FT shooting is good.

Reactions: bet9
Oh, I like this Bama Team and as we all know we play lots of games to improve and by Tourmament this team should be one tough bunch.
Memphis played out their butts last night with some of the shots that fell for them. We could not make a run. They always answered. Tough lost.
It just so happened that they picked the game against us to bring it together. Last night was their night. Hopefully our guys will learn from it and realize they have to bring it EVERY GAME. When you're highly ranked, there is a target on your back. Not being able to match inside post play is why I don't get excited when I read/hear that we have recruited another guard. Having quality "bigs" is a must, regardless as to how fantastic your guards are.

Reactions: HOUNDZTOOTH1
You nailed it. We played with lack of enthusiasm and energy, which is surprising considering ESPN showed a graphic that there were like 22 NBA teams there with scouts.

Not surprising when you have a physical/emotional game end at 11:30 PM on a Saturday night, then have a travel day on Monday for a game on Tuesday. Our guys were drained. You could visibly see it.

Oates is great, but under him our teams have had a propensity to play extraordinarily poorly for huge stretches of games. Last year we had to make big comebacks in the second half in about 5 of our final 6 wins. They really need to get more consistent. They have stretches that aren’t just an opponent playing well, but us looking completely lost out there.

Cold buttermilk and hot cornbread...man that was some good eaten!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT